R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Hot exhaust tips - Mini branding...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 03:39 PM
ellinara
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still burn free

Old 09-01-2008, 02:09 PM
johnnyu44
1st Gear
Mini Branding

Too bad I didn't get the warning earlier because I now have a sideways "U" on my right calf. That's okay, though. My last name begins with a "U", so I've been branded. I did it while unloading groceries from the back of our Mini, named Nigel! Hurt like a bugger but Nigel will always be with me now.
Marie U.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:09 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ori
This is a design flaw and should be fixed by BMW.
Design flaw??

It's an exhaust pipe with a shiny silver collar on it that we all love to polish.

Now, I suppose they could cut off a couple inches and risk having exhaust seep into the cabin. I've never liked cars that stick the pipe behind a rear wheel. Some sort of ceramic insulator between the pipe and the silver collar?

Wait! Wait! BMW could provide a removable studded leather cover we could take with us when we park so it wouldn't get stolen for use as an arm band.
Cooool.

For goodness sakes, it's an exhaust pipe. I'm sorry that anyone gets branded, but if this qualifies as a design flaw, then the idea of a vehicle with performance that can get you killled if you fail to respect it is a design flaw.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:59 PM
DangerMan
1st Gear
Well I got my first branding last week. In my case, I was reaching deep into the boot to get something out when my ankle brushed the pipe for just a split second. My "Mini burn" is only a 3/4" crescent, but the skin burned off and scabbed over. I'm generally aware of the hot pipes and take precautions. The combination of leaning deep into the boot and wearing shorts contributed to the burn. Yes, I should have been more careful, but I'll bet a number of the "unbranded" have been unwittingly saved by wearing long pants!

I'll be doubly careful in the future, but Mini could easily recess the pipes slightly to mitigate the issue. Unfortunately, the dorky center position of the pipes makes them difficult to avoid when fussing in the boot.

As an aside, I never liked the look of center-positioned pipes anyway (whether on the Mini S or Porsche Boxster/Cayman). To me pipes look more "sporty" and natural when placed on the sides. Just my $0.02.