MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2008, 05:32 AM
2nd Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
MINI Technical Training Course / Certification?

Hi all,

Does anyone know if such a course/class/videos exist? I'm very interested in training myself with the in's and out's of the different productions (especially the R56 I own).

I have no prior experience with car modding or repair. The R56 is my first car and I want to use it for the learning experience.

I see pictures in threads, but most do not have circles marking which nuts to unscrew and/or which latches to expect / depress to refrain from accidentally cracking or breaking something I should not.

Any tips, guides, advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Evangeline - 2007 MCSa SS, Premium/Cold Pkg, Piano Black Int., Black Bonnet Stripes
Old 06-12-2008, 08:53 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
Having grown up reading "How To Keep You Volkswagen Alive For The Complete Idiot" and trained as an aircraft mechanic, I've been looking around for any sort of technical information for the Minis and all I've found is it's pretty rare. There are some books that pop up at Amazon, the most serious-looking of which is published in the UK by Bentley Books and covers 2002 to 2006 model years. I'm tempted to buy it, but $75 is a lot to spend on something that isn't for my model year.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:09 PM
5th Gear

Gallery
I agree with KenG. You'll need BOOKS to get started.
Seach the WWW for anything interesting.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:16 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken G. View Post
There are some books that pop up at Amazon, the most serious-looking of which is published in the UK by Bentley Books and covers 2002 to 2006 model years. I'm tempted to buy it, but $75 is a lot to spend on something that isn't for my model year.
Ken G. Do you happen to have the ISBN or url for this book? I'm curious to make sure if it's the same and latest edition from the publisher before purchase. Thank you.

DragonWagon Do you know if the R56 turbocharger follows the traditional build/structure as other typical turbo charge engines? If yes, then should I be looking for books in that category or no? I've read the R56 engine is a Peugeot variant. Should I be looking for Peugeot books? Thank you.

Evangeline - 2007 MCSa SS, Premium/Cold Pkg, Piano Black Int., Black Bonnet Stripes
Old 06-13-2008, 05:29 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Double Post

Last edited by Qingdom; 06-13-2008 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Double Post
Old 06-13-2008, 11:26 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
[quote=Qingdom;2297072]Ken G. Do you happen to have the ISBN or url for this book? I'm curious to make sure if it's the same and latest edition from the publisher before purchase. Thank you.

Yep, it's ISBN-10 is 0837615119. You can easily locate it by going to American version of Amazon.com and searching "mini manual" it'll be the one by Bentley Publishers. If you could, please post here if you find this is a worthwhile book.

I'll second that statement that you're better off learning from a good manual. Videos are good at showing you how to use the tools, but you'll get a lot more of the important details from a proper maintenance manual than from any video. What is your current experience level at working on machines? That's what will really determine which is the best way for you to learn.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:26 PM