MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2008, 01:11 PM
3rd Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SuperMINIs
Gallery
Engine Surges

I have a 2007 MINI S Automatic with Turbo. ( I had to sell my Cabrio 6 spd for the wife to use.... oh well. :-(

It seems that when I come to a stop at a traffic light keeping the car in "D" and foot on the brake, or when I have it in reverse, foot on the brake, that the engine surges or pulses repeatedly. It is annoying since it feels that wants to go.. go.. go.. but in a really bad way. Dealer says that it is a software issue, but no solution for the past 2 months. I have had this MINI sine Jan 29 2008 and it has been hard to enjoy it since I really don't think Habberstad has very much concern. Additionally they shorted me the spare key and I have yet to get that resolved either.

Does anyone else have this surging or pulsing issue?

Thanks again and Motor On.

PS I have to change my signature, but I miss the MINIsc 6 spd.... RIP

2007 MINI Cooper S Convertible
Lightning Blue w/ Black Bonnet Stripes
6 Speed Manual, Limited Slip Differential, BMW Alarm System
Performance, Sport, Premium, Chronograph, Cold Weather Packs
17" Web Spoke Alloy Wheels, Goodyear F1 Performance A/S, iPod Adapter
Old 03-28-2008, 01:14 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to Ambrosia
Gallery
Yup, my MSCa does the same exact thing (along with the rough/surgey idle). My SA basically said this is normal, but I will keep my eye on it and ask again when I take Ambrosia in.

It shouldn't be anything to worry about from what others on here have said but it is a bit disconcerting when the car feels like it wants to take off while you are stopped at a light!
Old 03-28-2008, 01:17 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to Ambrosia
Gallery
see this thread: http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...d.php?t=121640

(there might be others too.)
Old 03-28-2008, 02:55 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
count me in on the surge, especially if its uber cold out it'll really bad....one thing that i found to help a little is to flush the engine and fuel injectors with some red line fuel system cleaner. Im not quite sure and dont quote me on this, but im guessing MINIS have a tendancy to built up gunk really fast. so in short, your not the only one
Old 03-29-2008, 04:56 AM
3rd Gear

Gallery
I had a thread on this a little while back. The MINI dealer said it was normal and live with it!!! Not the answer I was looking for but, it seems to have gotten better over time. The car has 22k miles and only does it every so often. This makes me think there other problems at work. Just keep your foot on the brake and hope you don"t eat someone's bumper
07 Lightning Blue Metallic w/Black Roof, Blue Leather/Carbon Cloth, Anthracite Headliner, Convenience Package, Cold Weather package, Hyper Sport Package, Premium Package, Sport Package w/17" Webspokes, Automatic Transmission, Chrome Line, Color Line Pacific Blue, Piano Black, Rear Fogs, Mud guards, JCW Carbon Fiber Scoop, 35% Tint, Mini Hi-Fi, Sirius Sat Radio and Navigation System
Old 03-29-2008, 07:31 AM
3rd Gear

Send a message via AIM to SuperMINIs
Gallery
Surging and Engine Pulsing

My MINI S automatic did it from day ONE with 5 miles on it. The dealer claimed it was normal too. Now after making a stink about it, and nearly surging into another car while in reverse parking, MINI USA is admitting it a software issue. I am told resolution by April 15 though I won't hold my breath.
I notice the exhaust pipes have some black soot on them looking like incorrect fuel mixture. I really just want to be able to come to a stop light or park without the SuperMINI wanting to drive away by itself. My 350Z or any other sports car I have owned has never had this issue

The dealer in general has been unresponsive hence my reaching out to MINI USA. They still owe me the 2nd key from pickup date of Jan 29 2008.

Please let me hear your comments in regards to your surging problems since it is NOT normal.

Please disregard my old signature since I traded it in for the automatic for the wife. Wish I never did.

2007 MINI Cooper S Convertible
Lightning Blue w/ Black Bonnet Stripes
6 Speed Manual, Limited Slip Differential, BMW Alarm System
Performance, Sport, Premium, Chronograph, Cold Weather Packs
17" Web Spoke Alloy Wheels, Goodyear F1 Performance A/S, iPod Adapter
Old 03-29-2008, 10:21 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
[quote=Does anyone else have this surging or pulsing issue? [/quote]

I don't know if it's related, but my 07MCS manual had a problem on very cold morning starts, where the engine would keep cycling between 1000 and 1500 rpm.

MINI trucked my car to the dealership, where they replaced the throttle with a "redesigned" unit.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:59 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMINIs View Post
I have a 2007 MINI S Automatic with Turbo. ( I had to sell my Cabrio 6 spd for the wife to use.... oh well. :-(

It seems that when I come to a stop at a traffic light keeping the car in "D" and foot on the brake, or when I have it in reverse, foot on the brake, that the engine surges or pulses repeatedly. It is annoying since it feels that wants to go.. go.. go.. but in a really bad way. Dealer says that it is a software issue, but no solution for the past 2 months. I have had this MINI sine Jan 29 2008 and it has been hard to enjoy it since I really don't think Habberstad has very much concern. Additionally they shorted me the spare key and I have yet to get that resolved either.

Does anyone else have this surging or pulsing issue?

Thanks again and Motor On.

PS I have to change my signature, but I miss the MINIsc 6 spd.... RIP

I'm with MINI USA. I've passed this message on to a MINI National Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:06 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIDivision View Post
I'm with MINI USA. I've passed this message on to a MINI National Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Could you tell me why Princeton MINI told me this is normal? I said out of all the cars I have had this is the first to do anything close to this. I also told them many others have the same problem. Feel free to have them call me also.
07 Lightning Blue Metallic w/Black Roof, Blue Leather/Carbon Cloth, Anthracite Headliner, Convenience Package, Cold Weather package, Hyper Sport Package, Premium Package, Sport Package w/17" Webspokes, Automatic Transmission, Chrome Line, Color Line Pacific Blue, Piano Black, Rear Fogs, Mud guards, JCW Carbon Fiber Scoop, 35% Tint, Mini Hi-Fi, Sirius Sat Radio and Navigation System
Old 04-09-2008, 10:02 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Mine does it but only when I have the A/C on. You can tell it's just the A/C compressor kicking in and out making the engine RPM go slightly higher and lower. If I don't have the A/C on it's smooth as silk...

Mini Me
- 2008 Laser Blue/Black MCS - 6 sp Auto, Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Piano Blk/Anthracite, Black JCW R105 Double-Spoke 18-inch Wheels on Pirelli PZero RF
** Now own a Midnight Blue Nissan 370Z **
Old 04-10-2008, 04:53 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIDivision View Post
I applaud Mini's proactive help in this manner. I have to wonder though, this is the only post like this I've seen. No response in the MCS engine clatter thread and what of Mufflethis's horrible transmission noise said to be normal in this thread:

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...d.php?t=135682
Old 04-10-2008, 03:06 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Not to be too rude, but I would have taught my wife how to use a clutch. She'd appreciate it in the end, trust me. I hope you automatic owners and MINI get this worked out. That is a very odd issue.

-The MINI with No Name (Il Buono)

Old 04-10-2008, 03:06 PM