R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Approved oils for R56 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TK76911S
Any opinions on the following re: best oil:

MINI seems to recommend Castrol. MINI OEM oil is apparently Castrol. It is 5W-30. I believe that is what is recommended. Meets A3 & BMW LL-01.
MINI and BMW branded oil seems to be something Castrol formulated just for BMW.

Based on the following from Castrol's site, Castrol's off-the-shelf 5W-30 does not meet A3/BMW LL-01. 0W-30 does. Two specific questions for those knowledgeable: 1) if you are changing more frequently than the recommended 15K or so, do you need the LL-01 spec? A3?
You may not need LL-01, but IMO, you should stay with A3. Part of that spec. has to do with viscosity at operating temps. Few 5W-30 oils meet it.

And, 2) given the cold start noise thread under '07 stock problems, and a recommendation there regarding afix using lower viscosity 0W-30, does it make sense to run that? IOW, is the 5W-30 spec just so the oil lasts longer and MINI can offer free mtnce, but the first one isn't till 15K?

SAE 0W–30:

Castrol SYNTEC 0W–30 European Formula is engineered to meet the Mercedes Benz 229.5 specification. The 0W–30 viscosity grade is ideal for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is required. A unique, low–temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for unaided engine starts down to –40ºF. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL–01; GM–LLA–025, GM–LL–B–025 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF–3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.
I think you would be fine with Castrol Syntec 0W-30.

SAE 5W–30:

is the most recommended grade in today's new cars. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A1, A5, B1, B5, GM 6094M; Ford WSS M2C929–A and all requirements of ILSAC GF–4 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving Standards. In torture tests, Castrol 5W-30 maintained maximum horsepower 29% longer than the leading conventional oil.
This oil is thinner at operating temps than the MINI branded oil.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:07 AM
AstroBlackS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
AH! So many requirements and so few oils meet them. I think I may have to track down some Mini branded oil.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:11 AM
AstroBlackS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
anyone know where I can get some MINI Brand 5w30 oil online? or is it going to have to be from the dealer.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:28 PM
locogringo
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I called Mini they said the approved oils were Castrol, Mobil 1 and Valvoline 5W-30 or 5W40. I then specifically asked if it needed to meet any certain specifications and was told it only need be full synthetic.

With that said the A3 spec is on the label of the MINI branded oil. I ended up buying MINI oil from the dealer at $6.40 a quart. I think others have seen it for less. I doesn't seem worth the difference in price to go after market to me.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by locogringo
When I called Mini they said the approved oils were Castrol, Mobil 1 and Valvoline 5W-30 or 5W40. I then specifically asked if it needed to meet any certain specifications and was told it only need be full synthetic.

With that said the A3 spec is on the label of the MINI branded oil. I ended up buying MINI oil from the dealer at $6.40 a quart. I think others have seen it for less. I doesn't seem worth the difference in price to go after market to me.
I paid $1 less, which was cheaper than even non-A3 synthetics from local auto supply places.

The dealers are probably following the Owners Manual which is quite lax in its requirements. I wonder if the European version of the Owners Manual specifies A3?

Old 02-18-2008, 07:58 PM
locogringo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I paid $1 less, which was cheaper than even non-A3 synthetics from local auto supply places.

The dealers are probably following the Owners Manual which is quite lax in its requirements. I wonder if the European version of the Owners Manual specifies A3?
That's a good question. I actually called MINI USA as I was sure the dealer would just say use MINI oil. They even asked me for my VIN. Anyway, I am staying with the OEM oil.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Krieg
2nd Gear
I wonder why it is classed as a diesel oil?
Diesel oils usually contain additional additives to keep nasty heavy soot particles in suspension.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
This was answered in another thread. The UK manual specifies ACEA A3.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Krieg
Diesel oils usually contain additional additives to keep nasty heavy soot particles in suspension.
Thanks. Some people are looking at using such oils because they meet the ACEA specs. How would those additives affect a MINI's engine? Personally, MINI oil is the easiest and most economical for me.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:44 AM
Krieg
2nd Gear
Thanks. Some people are looking at using such oils because they meet the ACEA specs. How would those additives affect a MINI's engine? Personally, MINI oil is the easiest and most economical for me.
I'm not sure. I used to have a VW TDI and did a lot of reading on "diesel" oils versus gasoline engine oils. Just like this debate, the opinions overwhelm the facts. My own conclusion was that it's OK to use diesel oil in gassers, but probably not the best to use gasser oil in diesels (especially turbo-diesels). Again, as I think most here agree, use the rating system as your guide and you'll be golden. I'll be putting the MINI-branded oil in my base MINI simply because my dealer is 3 miles away and it's competitively priced. It's a no-brainer for me.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Diploman
3rd Gear
I'm using Mobil 1 0W-40 in my MCS since my last oil change. It meets the entire list of specs, flows readily on cold start-ups, and is easily available at my local Auto-Zone. Getting the Mini-branded Castrol, which I might otherwise use, requires a 65-mile trip to the dealer. It may be only a psychosomatic perception, but the engine seems to run smoother on the Mobil 1 than with the Castrol 5W-30 I was using previously. I have not experienced, BTW, any of the dreaded and much-discussed cold-start anomalies during winter starts using the Mobil1. Happy with it thus far.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:19 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Diploman
I'm using Mobil 1 0W-40 in my MCS since my last oil change. It meets the entire list of specs, flows readily on cold start-ups, and is easily available at my local Auto-Zone. Getting the Mini-branded Castrol, which I might otherwise use, requires a 65-mile trip to the dealer. It may be only a psychosomatic perception, but the engine seems to run smoother on the Mobil 1 than with the Castrol 5W-30 I was using previously. I have not experienced, BTW, any of the dreaded and much-discussed cold-start anomalies during winter starts using the Mobil1. Happy with it thus far.
After reading through the numerous threads debating what oil to use, I believe I will go with 0W-40 (either Mobile 1 or Castrol) as well. I'll probably do my first oil change within the next month. I have 500 miles on my MCS right now (however, 270 of them were logged on the trip home from the dealer). I average 200 miles a week, so I need to order my filters ASAP.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:04 PM
carsbillmini
1st Gear
I still prefer to use Red LIne. It was expressed to me from a well known tech from BMW that European Castrol Oil is different from the oil in our local dealerships. He uses Red Line in all his vehicles including classics and modern M series. It exceeds the recomemndations from BMW and surpasses Amsoil in all tests. I am not sure of Royal Purple, but after reading stats from the Detroit Turner and I showing some interest in possibly switching to RP for my 07 MCS.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Every 3K.

Last edited by Oxybluecoop; 03-29-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:05 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AstroBlackS
AH! So many requirements and so few oils meet them. I think I may have to track down some Mini branded oil.
You can do what I did. My mini dealer is 90 miles away. I have a local bmw dealer just 5 miles away. I went and bought the bmw branded 5-30 oil. it was about 5.60 a quart.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:36 PM
carsbillmini
1st Gear
Checker Auto Parts has Royal Purple for $5.97 5w30 or 10w30 Does anyone know if this is the same Royal Purple that meets or exceeds Mini requirements?
I also noticed the same writing on the Castrol bottle. However, bulk oil which is sometimes used by BMW Dealerships is not the same as what is bottled.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:04 PM
byhsu
4th Gear
Is there a link to see if Royal Purple meets A3 specs?

Thanks

Old 03-31-2008, 12:57 PM
locogringo
3rd Gear
I looked at their website. It state they meet API specs. It doesn't state A3/B3 which makes me doubt they do. It might cost a lot of money to get A3/B3 and BMW LL certified. A small company might not be willing or able to pay for the certification. This doesn't necessarily mean the product is inferior, it just means they didn't certify it. You might email them and ask.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:21 PM
uzun
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
Every 3K.
Where do you guys find "Made in Germany" Castrol Syntec 0W-30, as shown in the above picture? I can only find the "Made in USA" version around here. Is there a significant difference between the two? I am thinking about switching to this oil in the future.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:32 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Autozone is the only place I've found it.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Krieg
2nd Gear
Autozone is the only place I've found it.
The Auto Zone on Independence next to the Motorcycle shop by any chance? I saw it there too.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
The Auto Zone on Independence next to the Motorcycle shop by any chance? I saw it there too.
That would be the one!!

Old 03-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Krieg
2nd Gear
That would be the one!!
Alrighty then! Maybe we'll run into each other someday. Are you in the Carolina's club?

Old 04-01-2008, 12:27 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Alrighty then! Maybe we'll run into each other someday. Are you in the Carolina's club?
I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point.Nope haven't joined the M2C2 yet.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:26 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I'll chime in on the VW TDI oils. It became real critical when VW switched over to the PD engines which drive the unit injectors off lobes on the camshaft.

Quick Reply: R56 Approved oils for R56 MCS