R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 automatic - 'dealers flooded with problems'???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 12:32 PM
pastabatman
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 automatic - 'dealers flooded with problems'???

I thought this deserved it's own thread:

Originally Posted by steve5901
The automatic is prone to failing. I have an 07 MCS and had the transmission go into "limp home" mode twice - which keeps it in second or third gear only, with a top speed of around 30 mph. The dealer tells me they have been flooded with problems with the automatic. Mine has been an absolute nightmare. I fact I have decided to dump it at whatever price I can get - if I can get if out of the dealer's service dept - where it has been for 5 weeks!! I have tried to lemon law it, but can't quite get it there.
Anybody want to weigh in on this? Is the R56 automatic a lemon-maker?

Old 09-18-2007, 12:39 PM
aznqtboy984
5th Gear
I have an R56 MCSa w/ almost 10,000 miles. No problems whatsover-knock on wood.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:45 PM
Bucky1969
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pastabatman
I thought this deserved it's own thread:

Anybody want to weigh in on this? Is the R56 automatic a lemon-maker?
With all due respect to the original poster with the problem with his automatic Mini (4 posts on 4 different threads of his total of 4 posts on this board all about the same problem), I haven't heard any mass hysteria over the auto Mini with the exception of the purists who believe everything should be manual.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:49 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah that guy has been roaming the boards telling everybody to not buy an R56. He's just pissed because he has a lemon.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:56 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucky1969
I haven't heard any mass hysteria over the auto Mini
Frankly, nor have I. Read lots of love though.

Last edited by gokartride; 09-18-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:24 PM
DJKazzer
1st Gear
I have an R56 MCa, which has been great except for a stalling problem, which you can read about here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=113835

I started that thread but am not the person going around bashing the automatic. I am dropping the car off at the dealer on Thursday morning to check out the problem but, to be honest, even if the problem is never fixed I will still be absolutely in love with my car.

Given that few people have responded with similar problems I would have say that no hysteria exists. I would fully recommend that anyone purchase the R56 MCa if it makes sense for them to have the automatic.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:25 PM
carla99
2nd Gear
Hmmmm....so steve5901 joined NAM in 7/07 (about 2 months ago) and he finally posted his first thread last week?!?!.... If he is so pissed with his car/service then why not write into NAM a lot sooner - like when he first joined - this way he could atleast get some suggestions/support. If his lemon is indeed legit (which is open to debate since I don't recall even reading what his multitude of problems were besides CEL) then maybe he could try getting support earlier the next time.

btw, I have 2007 MCSa - 3500 miles. CEL came on after 12 miles, software upgrade - no issue. No other major issues since, kow.

Last edited by carla99; 09-18-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:40 PM
pastabatman
4th Gear
Thanks all. Sorry if I contributed to any hysteria - I should have checked the OP's history first. I'll give him the benefit of a doubt, and assume his dealer was just feeding him a line in response to buy-back request.

Last edited by pastabatman; 09-18-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:41 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
MCS Auto 3,300 miles since July and no problems with stalling, ideling, etc. No problems so far and just a blast to own. May have a different perspective if problems occur though.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:09 AM
breedlove
1st Gear
I read the post by “steve5901” and he did a good job of putting some scare into me. I just ordered a MCSa and he had me worried. I am hoping that his situation is just a fluke. I saved a really long time for my new MCS and I am hoping for a worry free fun driving experience. This MCS is probably the most expensive car I have ever purchased. I want it to be the best.

Patrick

Old 09-19-2007, 05:31 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got my automatic and I love it, absolutely no problems at all.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:53 AM
Phil K
3rd Gear
I've had T-Bone Scooter now since early July with no problems of any kind (4,500 miles). The AT has actually been more fun than any other I've driven; I can be lazy or I can play a little.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:53 AM
dmeadow
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the CEL at 1400 miles. Software upgrade done and everything has worked fine for the 400 miles since then.

I think there are more posts out there with complaints about the manual shift than the auto!

Old 09-19-2007, 07:06 AM
Need
4th Gear
Almost 2k miles and no problem so far.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:10 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by breedlove
I read the post by “steve5901” and he did a good job of putting some scare into me. I just ordered a MCSa and he had me worried. I am hoping that his situation is just a fluke. I saved a really long time for my new MCS and I am hoping for a worry free fun driving experience. This MCS is probably the most expensive car I have ever purchased. I want it to be the best.

Patrick
Don't be.

1) his car was delivered at the beginning of the year

2) if there really were a lot of problems about the auto tranny then the stock problems forum would be flooded with threads about it.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:11 AM
eliot
2nd Gear
10,000 miles on mine and I haven't been back to the dealer with any problems.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Dr. Pepper
4th Gear
The six speed auto is the only transmission that I haven't heard complaints about. All the others Mini has offered have had issues.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:10 PM
steve5901
Neutral
Originally Posted by carla99
Hmmmm....so steve5901 joined NAM in 7/07 (about 2 months ago) and he finally posted his first thread last week?!?!.... If he is so pissed with his car/service then why not write into NAM a lot sooner - like when he first joined - this way he could atleast get some suggestions/support.

The reason I haven't posted sooner: I hate to admit this, but I have never used a site like this before. I am a "mature" guy so I don't know that much about these sites. I am not even sure I understand what a "sticky" is, having never seen that term before.

After reading the replys others have posted, I think I have been venting here. Maybe I am just the unlucky one who got the lemon, but I have sure been frustrated by the dealer (and to a lesser extend by Mini customer service).

Here is an example: My car has now been at the dealership for 29 days (Vista Mini, Ft Lauderdale). I called to get an update. I have left messages for the service advisor before, but he never returns calls. In fact several times I've called and his voice mail box is full and you can't even leave a message! When the operator asked if I wanted to leave a message with her, I told her that he doesn't return calls, and her response: "He doesn't answer his phone, he preferrs people to send an email".

There are 2 Mini service advisors at Vista. If you call the other one, his outgoing mesage says to leave a message, but he states that he rarely checks voice mail, and preferrs that you send him an email.

How does this help me, who is not that comfortable with computers? And how do you have a back and forth "conversation" by email only?

Sorry I got people upset, but if the tables where turned and your beloved Mini was in the shop for as long as mine has, maybe you'd understand.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Bucky1969
2nd Gear
steve, sounds like the problem is your dealership. Maybe you should get your Mini up to Downtown Mini in Orlando where the MA's answer their phones and do make sure you are taken care of.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:40 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
The reason I haven't posted sooner: I hate to admit this, but I have never used a site like this before. I am a "mature" guy so I don't know that much about these sites. I am not even sure I understand what a "sticky" is, having never seen that term before.

After reading the replys others have posted, I think I have been venting here. Maybe I am just the unlucky one who got the lemon, but I have sure been frustrated by the dealer (and to a lesser extend by Mini customer service).

Here is an example: My car has now been at the dealership for 29 days (Vista Mini, Ft Lauderdale). I called to get an update. I have left messages for the service advisor before, but he never returns calls. In fact several times I've called and his voice mail box is full and you can't even leave a message! When the operator asked if I wanted to leave a message with her, I told her that he doesn't return calls, and her response: "He doesn't answer his phone, he preferrs people to send an email".

There are 2 Mini service advisors at Vista. If you call the other one, his outgoing mesage says to leave a message, but he states that he rarely checks voice mail, and preferrs that you send him an email.

How does this help me, who is not that comfortable with computers? And how do you have a back and forth "conversation" by email only?

Sorry I got people upset, but if the tables where turned and your beloved Mini was in the shop for as long as mine has, maybe you'd understand.
That truly sucks, and I would agree with talking with another dealer. Luckily they aren't all like that. There are lemons in every type of car, and I truly hope you didn't get one, because these cars really are relatively problem free and extremely fun to own. I hate that you're getting such poor customer service.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:42 PM
OrionLTD
3rd Gear
Unfortunately, all dealers are NOT created equal. It sounds like you have a lemon and the dealer was trying to pass it off as a "design issue". Every car has its known issues. I've seen numerous posts about the 3-2 squeal and such. If your dealer does not resolve the issue, then find one who will or get a replacement car. There is no reason why you should have to put up with this.
I own a 2003 Ford focus that I am giving to my 16 year old when my mini comes in. I have had no problems other than the lock cylinder having to be replaced. I bought it brand new and it now has 135000 miles on it. I expect my upcoming mini to be just as reliable.
I heard numerous service horror stories about assael (here in the L.A. Area). So I decided to contact South Bay for my business. Having a dealer there for not only the sale but the service is a must.

Best of luck on your mini!

Old 09-19-2007, 03:03 PM
oneway
2nd Gear
The MCSa uses a Japanese made Aisin transmission Asisn's arer also in cadillacs and lexuses err.. lexi?. I don't think BMW technicians are all that familiar with Asian FWD autoboxes, so that might be a big part of your problem. I went for the autobox because there were so many problems with the manual transmissions posted in this and other mini fourms. 5000km on my car, no tranny problems at all. It's the nicest automatic transmission I've ever driven.

I know telling you that your problem isn't common doesn't really help you out, just be aware that this might be the first (or nearly the frist) time your mechanic has ever looked at this problem. of you expect a quick answer from him it likely won't be the right answer.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:53 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
BMW step auto has been around for 10 years. I used to have one and my wife has one. No problems. I love MINI manual tranny though. Too fun to be true. My favorite shift is from 2nd to 3rd.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:10 AM
opass
3rd Gear
3200 miles on my MCSa without problems. Love mine every day every secound. amazing machine.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:19 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
he states that he rarely checks voice mail, and preferrs that you send him an email.
This is pretty sub-par, based on everything I've seen. Once your tranny's sorted, if you can work w/ another dealer you might consider that. Hope things work out soon!

Quick Reply: R56 R56 automatic - 'dealers flooded with problems'???