R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Super hot spot near gas pedal drivers side, in center console R56 anyone notice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 06:19 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Super hot spot near gas pedal drivers side, in center console R56 anyone notice?

today is a pretty hot day so I've been running the A/C full blast with recirculate on. I realized my right leg was getting hot. So I reached down near the accelerator and noticed that there is a spot there on the plastic near the heating duct that is REALLY hot to the touch. Almost burning hot. Naturally I stick my hand underneath the plastic to touch a really hot piece of metal.

At first I thought it may be the amp for the stereo... but I drove home without the stereo on. But I did drive home with the a/c full blast with recirculate. Is that the fan motor down there? Any mini techs? anyone know? Is it normal for it to get 'burning' hot when full blast? Can any other people running their A/C full speed let me know?

I'm just wondering if it's normal or if I should have a tech look at it.

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Xray'dit_Mini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it has nothing to do with the AC. I dont use my AC at all and it get super hot. There have been a few owners noticing this as well. I dont know if its a good or bad thing, or even some that has or will have a fix.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:50 PM
ChiliXer
4th Gear
Ill have to see next time I drive, but maybe its coming from the transmission and its linkages. The MINI is a pretty compact car so it could just be all the metal in the car conducting the heat throughout.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:10 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've noticed it, but only at night for some reason.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:24 AM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah I've noticed the same thing also. Sheesh I thought I was the only one. lol

Old 09-03-2007, 09:31 AM
harley0711
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fjork_duf
today is a pretty hot day so I've been running the A/C full blast with recirculate on. I realized my right leg was getting hot. So I reached down near the accelerator and noticed that there is a spot there on the plastic near the heating duct that is REALLY hot to the touch. Almost burning hot. Naturally I stick my hand underneath the plastic to touch a really hot piece of metal.

At first I thought it may be the amp for the stereo... but I drove home without the stereo on. But I did drive home with the a/c full blast with recirculate. Is that the fan motor down there? Any mini techs? anyone know? Is it normal for it to get 'burning' hot when full blast? Can any other people running their A/C full speed let me know?

I'm just wondering if it's normal or if I should have a tech look at it.

Thanks!

Let us know what you find - when reading this sentence, I had to laugh - you have to be male ?? - only a guy would would do this..lol

Old 09-03-2007, 09:33 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
There was a thread from Arnbut about this in stock problems/fixes a couple months ago. It's the heating unit circulating hot water continuously (even with the heater off). Mini says it's normal and there's nothing you can do about it. Arnbut has measured the temperature there with his laser unit. I forget what he got. There was a thread about this on the other Mini forum too. I don't think mine gets as got as others have said, but it's definitely hotter there than other parts of the tunnel.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:37 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
There was a thread from Arnbut about this in stock problems/fixes a couple months ago. It's the heating unit circulating hot water continuously (even with the heater off).
This is what I've heard, too. Not an issue on MCs.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:13 AM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Hmm weird. I figure when the heating unit is off it shouldn't circulate water. It also seems that doesn't keep with the mini's efficiency feature set. The water pump that shuts off when it isn't needed etc...

Oh and to the other poster I am male. Hahha.

I've got a couple of small issues I think I will probably take it to the dealer at some point and ask about that.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:11 AM
brudgers
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
This is what I've heard, too. Not an issue on MCs.
I have the issue on my MC.

It's surprising how hot it gets - not hot enough to burn but you don't want to leave your hand on it.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:49 PM
korby
6th Gear
Yep , another hot spot !

Old 09-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Mine has read 143F using an IR Thermometer. I handed it to the Mini tech and had him measure it too.

Also, the hood temps just after parking the '07 MCS can reach 235F (near the scoop). Parked in a garage with no natural air movement is ideal to reach 235F. Outside with any kind of breeze helps keep it closer to 200F.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:17 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
212°F = 100°C. That is hot!

Old 09-03-2007, 06:37 PM
at7815
3rd Gear
I have the same issue and just noticed it a couple of days ago...it felt REALLY hot! I have to go back to the dealer to get a rattle fixed so I will ask about this heat.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:12 PM
korby
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jinxy
Mine has read 143F using an IR Thermometer. I handed it to the Mini tech and had him measure it too.

Also, the hood temps just after parking the '07 MCS can reach 235F (near the scoop). Parked in a garage with no natural air movement is ideal to reach 235F. Outside with any kind of breeze helps keep it closer to 200F.
When I park in my garage I open the bonnet.What did the tech say about the readings ?

Old 09-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
He said he wasn't aware of the A-pillar heat issue and that turbo hoods get really hot. He said he would contact Mini to see if any other reported the issues.

He got back with me a few days later and said Mini doesn't have a fix for either issue at this point. I don't know if that means they are aware of it or not... or willing to acknowledge it.

I filed a safety complaint with NHTSA regarding the bonnet temps. 235F seemed excessive to me. I suggest all '07 MCS owners also report the issue as well.

I didn't report the A-pillar/footwell problem, as I didn't feel this was a safety issue.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:05 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
I'm not really sure what mini could do about external heat due to the turbo. That seems to just be something that would happen on a turbocharged car. Especially one that has the turbo mounted on the front of the engine.

The footwell problem however should and I'm sure can be fixed. There are a few things mini could do probably. The mostly likely thing I can think of is adding a new panely to help with the heat issue. Maybe something thicker with heat resistent properties. I do think mini needs to do the right thing and install a valve so the heat doesn't come into the cabin at all.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Quick fix....

get some reflective thermal barrier. I got some for some tinkering, it's adhesive on one side, fiberglas mat, with reflective coating on the other. The reflections and insulation should keep the temps on the hood down. The same stuff (of a silicon closed cell foam) could do the same where the heater core is.

FWIW, lots of cars are dropping the heater valve... IT's just an extra part. They do the air temp setting with a blend door, mixing hot and cold air.... When you set it on "cold" it just doesn't send any air through the heater core. and maybe this is a good thing. A slow leak on a heater valve on an early rabbit I had ended up toasting an engine..... (yep, the temp light came on AFTER the pistons melted to the block!)

Matt

Old 09-03-2007, 10:55 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Old 09-03-2007, 11:47 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
FWIW, lots of cars are dropping the heater valve... IT's just an extra part. They do the air temp setting with a blend door, mixing hot and cold air.... When you set it on "cold" it just doesn't send any air through the heater core. and maybe this is a good thing. A slow leak on a heater valve on an early rabbit I had ended up toasting an engine..... (yep, the temp light came on AFTER the pistons melted to the block!)

Matt

So many new cars are now doing this? Maybe a thermal shield of some sort is the best fix. Hmm.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:54 AM
korby
6th Gear
How about a blower that blows the hot air out the bonnet scoop ?Any shield just traps the heat and cooks everything under the bonnet . IMO.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:05 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Jinxy --- what's your car's build date?
My new car doesn't get that hot on the bonnet and my center pillar is only 130 degrees.
My theory is that the newer cars have modified run times of the circulatory system and holes in the scoop to help offset bonnet temps...

Old 09-04-2007, 06:01 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
I wonder if it was cost savings or weight savings that caused them to remove the valve that stops water flow into the heater core

every car I've owned, except the mini would stop the water flow at the firewall with a bypass valve, in fact, I just replaced the valve in my 1974 2002, it was stuck closed

Old 09-04-2007, 06:50 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you're standards are erroding!

Originally Posted by Arnbut
my center pillar is only 130 degrees.
And while that is a lower number, it's still toasty!

Matt

ps I read about all your efforts on Mini2. Good job!

Old 09-04-2007, 07:22 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mega72
I wonder if it was cost savings or weight savings that caused them to remove the valve that stops water flow into the heater core
I believe it is for heat transfer alone.

Quick Reply: R56 Super hot spot near gas pedal drivers side, in center console R56 anyone notice?