R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Who got BURN from the Exhaust Tip?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 06:31 PM
tbonecopper
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's happened to me a few times getting items out of the boot

i'm a dumm dumm

Old 09-15-2007, 07:14 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
Admittedly, I was surprised the first time I got to know my exhaust tips intimately. Call me ignorant (because it's true), but it never struck me that it would be...burning hot. Since I never owned a car with the exhaust so prominent, I never had the opportunity to learn. Luckily I was able to remove my leg in time--and since then I go with the constipated-man approach to the boot, at least when I'm wearing shorts...

Old 09-27-2007, 12:12 PM
bfair
1st Gear
Well, for all of the concern/discussion, there are only two reports in NHTSA's database of exhaust pipe burns:

One on August 10th, the other on the 24th.

Interestingly there are only two other NHTSA problem reports, one about VSC/stuttering on acceleration, and the other about the bonnet being hot.

Check it out yourself if you like:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...aintsearch.cfm

Old 09-28-2007, 01:23 PM
chili s
2nd Gear
Me!

Ouchy.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:04 AM
PaulK
Neutral
My 13 year old son just got a 3 inch 3rd degree burn from my MC. He reached in the back to get his wrestling gear for a summer camp. I couldn't believe it. **** poor design - no brainer!

Old 06-22-2009, 09:30 AM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
You should've gotten a recall notice...it took effect several months ago. They replace the tips with shorter ones, no charge.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Ryot
1st Gear
Recall?

Originally Posted by corcoranwtnet
You should've gotten a recall notice...it took effect several months ago. They replace the tips with shorter ones, no charge.
Do you have any further info on the recall? I have a 15 mo '08 MC, and my husband burned his shin pretty bad on the exhaust last summer, while we were unloading a filing cabinet (no joke, the furniture store couldn't believe we got it in there). Since then we've been more careful, but it's still definitely a risk.

The hubby just bought his very own '09 MCS yesterday, despite the still-visible burn scar on his leg (I popped in here wondering if he was the one who brought this thread back to life!), so now we'll have to get used to the center-mounted exhaust of the MCS as well.

But if there's been a recall since I got my MC in April '08, I'd love to hear more about it. I'll be taking mine in for service some time this week (no one mentioned the 12 month "low mileage" service to me until I mentioned my car to the finance guy yesterday, oops!), so if it's an option I'd love to get it taken care of, and double check hubby's '09 as well.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got burned twice. They had to amputate both legs.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:42 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Just ask the dealer about it when you drop the car off. I think they did my car when I was in for service around Dec. 08. They just did it, they didn't ask me anything, and that was just about the time they did the recall thing. I don't remember if I got anything in the mail.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:03 PM
benzoc
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ya have had it happen here while sitting on the back gate twice

Old 06-23-2009, 04:17 AM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
Ryot,

My info is from this website...do a search for "burns". My 09 MCSa came with the shorter pipes from the factory, last September.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:29 AM
eR1c
5th Gear
I severly burned my legs, right arm, and back. The tailpipe got my leg which crippled me, as I fell to the ground my arm and back brushed against the pipes. My wife called 911, one of the paramedics while trying to dress my wounds also burned his backside, his shirt caught fire as well. As he ran to a neighbors swimming pool in a ball of flames he left a trail of fire which ignited some dry brush. This sent the firetrucks which caused two cars to crash into each other as they slowed to guawk at the carnage that was ensuing. That crash left a small child stuck in a defective car seat. A passerby ran towards the car to save the crying child, yet on the way tripped over a wheel that had come off one of the cars during the crash. He required stitches we later found out. The firefighters were able to contain the wild fire, the paramedics were able to get everyone to the hospital, be it a slow trip as a funeral procession was passing through their path to the hospital with the wounded. All in all the tailpipes caused burns to two people, much property damage, stitches to a man's leg and a very terrified young child.

I personally would love to see the tailpipe removed from our Mini's all together. They should not be present at all.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:05 PM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
"...over my cold, dead body", right eR1c? Not hard to guess your politics.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:13 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
you got me!

Old 06-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by eR1c
I severly burned my legs, right arm, and back. The tailpipe got my leg which crippled me, as I fell to the ground my arm and back brushed against the pipes. My wife called 911, one of the paramedics while trying to dress my wounds also burned his backside, his shirt caught fire as well. As he ran to a neighbors swimming pool in a ball of flames he left a trail of fire which ignited some dry brush. This sent the firetrucks which caused two cars to crash into each other as they slowed to guawk at the carnage that was ensuing. That crash left a small child stuck in a defective car seat. A passerby ran towards the car to save the crying child, yet on the way tripped over a wheel that had come off one of the cars during the crash. He required stitches we later found out. The firefighters were able to contain the wild fire, the paramedics were able to get everyone to the hospital, be it a slow trip as a funeral procession was passing through their path to the hospital with the wounded. All in all the tailpipes caused burns to two people, much property damage, stitches to a man's leg and a very terrified young child.

I personally would love to see the tailpipe removed from our Mini's all together. They should not be present at all.
Yeah, I think YOUR tailpipes should be removed too, seems like you're inhaling too many exhaust fumes...

Old 06-24-2009, 10:19 AM
eR1c
5th Gear
seems like you're inhaling too many exhaust fumes...
NO, Not exhaust fumes, ...fumes from the melting hood intake. That darn hood intake gets so hot that it burns melted plastic and paint. I got out of my car one day and breathed in all this burnt plastic and smoke from the hood intake. WOW, that made me so dizzy!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
You know, every time I'm back there unloading stuff I remember about the hot exhaust and reach down and touch it. It's never been too hot to touch let alone burn me.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Benibiker
You know, every time I'm back there unloading stuff I remember about the hot exhaust and reach down and touch it. It's never been too hot to touch let alone burn me.
That's because it is too cold in Hawaii for it to get hot.

No, wait. I know. Hawaii is too small for you to drive long enough to get it hot. Yea, that's the ticket.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:55 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by eR1c

That was good!

Old 06-25-2009, 12:57 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryot
Do you have any further info on the recall? I have a 15 mo '08 MC, and my husband burned his shin pretty bad on the exhaust last summer, while we were unloading a filing cabinet (no joke, the furniture store couldn't believe we got it in there). Since then we've been more careful, but it's still definitely a risk.

The hubby just bought his very own '09 MCS yesterday, despite the still-visible burn scar on his leg (I popped in here wondering if he was the one who brought this thread back to life!), so now we'll have to get used to the center-mounted exhaust of the MCS as well.

But if there's been a recall since I got my MC in April '08, I'd love to hear more about it. I'll be taking mine in for service some time this week (no one mentioned the 12 month "low mileage" service to me until I mentioned my car to the finance guy yesterday, oops!), so if it's an option I'd love to get it taken care of, and double check hubby's '09 as well.
There's no recall for the MC's only the MCS's and your husbands MINI being an '09 should already have the recessed tail pipes.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:25 AM
pillar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they hassle you soo much when you go to the dealership to get the tailpipe shortened.

Gave me such an attitude when i opted not to shorten my aftermarket pipes. i dont get why they cant say i just "got" it so i dont have to explain everytime i go there

Old 06-25-2009, 08:14 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The only time i ever got burned was the day AFTER i got the letter about the recall. Then it happened to my girlfriend about 2 days later.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pillar
they hassle you soo much when you go to the dealership to get the tailpipe shortened.

Gave me such an attitude when i opted not to shorten my aftermarket pipes. i dont get why they cant say i just "got" it so i dont have to explain everytime i go there
Because someday you will sell the car and the new owner may get burned and sue BMW. They want to cover their...

I found the change to be rather subtle. It is the kind of thing most people wont notice.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:51 AM
PaulK
Neutral
For those who emailed with questions.

Last edited by PaulK; 06-26-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:35 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I remember an ED doctor who got burned bad enough to need a skin graft. Needless to say he was in favor of the mod/recall. Honestly, I bet 95% of owners would not notice it. The only way to tell is to look straight down the bumper.

Quick Reply: R56 Who got BURN from the Exhaust Tip?