R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 First Mini and trying to decide between these two Clubmans...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 06:49 PM
helldiver14
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Mini and trying to decide between these two Clubmans...

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/5927993859.html

Guy seems to take very good care of his car. Most of the major issues seem to have been taken care of. Only problem is, not really sold on the color.

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/5934184213.html

Everything on this Clubman seems like its been replaced and he says that the carfax backs it up. Kind of scary that all of these things have been replaced... Timing chain, thermostat and water pump have also been replaced. Really really like the black.

Whats your guy's thoughts? Can a hot chocolate look as good as the black? I live in Ohio and the first one is obviously going to be closer, but I was really looking for the black.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:51 PM
chav
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
When shopping for a mini i think it's important to know the car. All the things that have have been replaced on the Knoxville mini are all things that are known to go out. It's a good thing to give you ease of mind that this parts have been replaced.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:52 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
R55 Clubman

Less mileage a plus, too. Check our website for recommendations on service, maintenance and upgrade. Please ask if you have any questions.

http://new.minimania.com/mini_cooper...neration_minis

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:34 AM
Lt. Dan
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would be leaning towards the knoxville one. A clutch on that car is NOT CHEAP, and if it was replaced with factory stuff, should last you a long time...

Old 01-06-2017, 10:40 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
make sure and ask if the black one has had the timing chain replaced....probably has, but maybe not.....ad just mentions maintenance in the past year. Did my timing chain at about 115k. Had to do my HPFP at about the same time....both are expensive. If the brown one has been driven by someone who knows has to take care of a clutch, then I wouldn't worry too much about the clutch in it. Lt. Dan is right about the cost though.

I second chav.....find out as much as you can about each car....and the owners....are they enthusiasts like us? do they sound like adults? do they have receipts? you can find out about their approach to car maintenance by asking about symptoms before some of the work was done.....like, how did you know that the xxx needed to be replaced? who did the work? if an indy shop, find out if they specialize in BMW's/MINI's....tells you that the owner cared enough....not slamming indy shops that don't specialize....have used them myself, but I usually knew and trusted the owner or the mechanic that worked on my car.

Try to enjoy the hunt.....and hope that you can find a car that is fun for you to drive and won't empty your bank account.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:43 AM
Opulent Pauper
Neutral
Greetings,
I'm new here, but not to minis.
I can't speak to what's available in your area, but in the PNW,
There are numerous R-55's available with half or less of the mileage at the same prices you listed.
I'd agree with our brother that a thorough inquisition of past service history relevant, I'd also stress the importance of scrutinizing the past and present owner(s).
It'll be obvious if the person viewed their rig with pride and joy, by the way it looks, and how their expression changes during your convo with them.
I always ask: why are you selling this vehicle?
Pay close attention to the body language, and eye contact if you're inspecting in person.
Don't let a knee jerk reaction to an emotional attachment to a particular aspect that has little to do with dependability or longevity.
That being said, it took me 17 months of serious searching until I found the exact color, interior trim, and low mileage I wanted.
Not being impatient will allow you the time to see clearly what it truly is, and isn't.
There are a concentration of options if you shop in an area where many were sold.
Especially areas where road salts and heavy snow, or sweltering summers aren't an issue.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:34 AM
chav
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Where is PNW? it could be worth a trip out and a fun drive back!

Old 01-08-2017, 06:52 AM
Opulent Pauper
Neutral
Buying an R-55 cont.

Hi Chav,
PNW is short for:
Pacific Northwest, specifically Seattle and Portland.
There are heaps of gen 1-3, and all the newer minis here.
Owned by every kind of person imaginable.
For some reason, a majority of the ones I see for sale have
fewer miles on them than what's typical for other cars of the same vintages.
The mini in all it's configurations, seem to be more ubiquitous than Starbucks locations here.
The car club scene is somewhat lacking for the R-55 though.
Last August I found a 2010 S, in laser blue, automatic with biscuit leather, fully loaded with only 40K on the clock.
It already had the timing chain tensioner and water pump work done, lowered in the back, and no accidents on the car fax report.
My only disappointment was the 18" JCW wheels and run flat tires.
Huge wheels painted black with tiny thin tires seems to be fashionable
nowadays, but to me are totally impractical; like shiny spinning wheel covers, and those rediculously long toed boots our brothers from south of the border found so fascinating awhile back.
I've owned minis since 1970, and ran minilites for years, and then GB's
into the 1990's and beyond.
Because of this, I diligently searched online for a solution to my issues with the stiff ride, and risks of having a blowout in the boondocks and no spare.
I found the Rota RB's with Continental Extremecontact DWS-06 in a 205/50/16 configuration to be all I require to satisfy my esthetic, comfort and safety concerns. I found a doughnut spare on eBay, and now feel confident I can actually travel out of town safely, and get home again.
I couldn't be happier with the decision.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:00 PM
Opulent Pauper
Neutral
Upper left corner = PNW.
Seattle Wa to Portland Ore.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:18 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Opulent Pauper
Upper left corner = PNW.
Seattle Wa to Portland Ore.
Some (including me) would say, the most beautiful place on Earth....(aka "home" within my immediate family)

Old 01-09-2017, 08:06 AM
Opulent Pauper
Neutral
After living in Hawaii 14 years on Maui, the big island and on the north shore of Kauai, and two years in the bay of islands, NZ, I'd have to agree with you Bug.
Mountains near water is the most auspicious place to be according to the Chineseu.
The only downside is we're the most heavily taxed state in the country.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:30 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
they are really similar. I would for sure get proof of the repairs they say have been done as if they have been done it will prevent you from having to do them.
But the TN car does have the Xenon headlights which are SOOO much better at night and very expensive to put in a car that doesn't like the other car.

No matter what I would have the car taken to a local mechanic and have a pre purchase inspection done so you know what else it may need.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-11-2017, 02:35 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
First MINI

Originally Posted by bugeye1031
Some (including me) would say, the most beautiful place on Earth....(aka "home" within my immediate family)
Have to agree, being in Portland area for 25 years after San Jose, CA, Colorado and Illinois. Quite a few good MINIs in this area and searching via truecar.com really helps to see what the going rates are going to be.

I had a specific year, mileage and price range in mind: 2004 to 2006 MCS, under 100,000 miles, under $10K.

I found a 2004 after about a month with 79,000 miles and just under $7,000. Happy camper!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:41 AM
reACTION
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both cars are pre LCI with the n14 engine. If I were you I'd do some research on the N14 engine found in both these cars. Make sure you know what you're getting into with these.

Several people I know are dealing with the issues in this thread. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-an-hour.html
My boss's N14 was so problematic he sold the car.