R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Trying to make my 2009 clubman jcw faster

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 08:31 AM
Ian Charles
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to make my 2009 clubman jcw faster

I was wondering if anybody on here can tell
Me ways I can make my car faster that is not that expensive I'm 16 and just got my mini and I will like to make it accelerate faster and more quicker of the start thanks in advance

Old 01-02-2017, 12:32 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Questions redacted

Old 01-02-2017, 04:51 PM
mdaz75
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Questions redacted
If your questions were, in any way, similar to the ones I have, you were right to redact them.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:06 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
The easiest and most cost effective would be an ECU tune
https://www.waymotorworks.com/perfor...-cooper-s.html

and also a Forge intercooler
https://www.waymotorworks.com/forge-...r-s-turbo.html

Then a Downpipe
https://www.waymotorworks.com/08-10-...mance/exhaust/

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-02-2017, 08:56 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by mdaz75
If your questions were, in any way, similar to the ones I have, you were right to redact them.
Sounds like you and I could even agree a good beer.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:15 PM
k_brady
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a Clubman S with some modifications done to it. It is my daily driver so I wasn't looking for anything over the top. Just some things to make my commute more enjoyable.

StopTech front slotted rotors with EBC Greenstuff brake pads
K&N Intake w/ aftermarket Forge intake hose & charge pipes
A simple plug and play ECU

The engine mods gave a lot more life to the car and power. The brakes make up for the stopping distance that can now be quickly traveled.

For sure would love a down pipe and some suspension work but I don't plan on having the car much longer.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-07-2017, 06:43 PM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
My 2009 Clubman JCW is already a pretty fast car. What's your objective? Are you looking for bragging rights, or to impress? If so, go for the modifications. Just remember that your car is built more for the twisties than for drag racing...

Pardon me if I get a little preachy....but my Dad's father to son talk is ringing in my ears...even though it was a verrrry long time ago. It went something like this. If you want to just enjoy the car, maintain it well and work on learning how to drive it to get the most out of it. If you don't already know how to heal and toe, watch YouTube and practice......lots. Unlike so many other cars on the road, your MINI is set up perfectly to heal and toe.

The only modification that I would recommend at this point is-

https://www.waymotorworks.com/nm-eng...nt-insert.html

My reason for this mod is that it reinforces the connection between your right foot and the front tires....by reducing the amount of motion the engine goes through as you press on the throttle.

Driver training through the BMWCCA, SCCA, or other organizations would be a great thing to start planning now.

Soapbox is back in the closet....have fun and be safe.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:08 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you're 16 you can save a lot of money by dedicating yourself to learning how to drive what you've got. If and when you become a good driver you will be able to answer your own question.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:50 AM
J Free
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Also-not trying to be a wise guy. These cars are meant to go around corners fast. If you want to maximize the potential, which I guarantee is way beyond your own at the moment. Get involved with track days-SCDA or the like.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:40 PM
Absolutjh22
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto on learning HOW to drive fast...

Having said that. By far and away the best way to make any car faster is to make it lighter (that includes the driver). Lighter wheels and tires is a great way to reduce weight and thus improve acceleration.

The $75 to Get one of these will change the dynamics of how the engine and trans put the power down. Great bang for your buck.

http://www.madnessmotorworks.com/mad...gine-bushings/

From there the next best way to actually make more power and torque is thru an ECM tune and more cold air. There are multiple ECM tunes available, most of which are specific to your current mods. Do your research and find one that meets YOUR needs.

More cold air in means more power for you. Get yourself one of these:

http://www.madnessmotorworks.com/min...7-r55-r58-r59/

The ALTA one does not fit very well, at all. The one above fits AWESOME and has more volume of air flow than the Alta one too.

You will want one of these, or something similar:
http://www.madnessmotorworks.com/mad...nd-jcw-models/

Again, more cold air in means more power for you. I have the AEM version. Do NOT use the heat shield that protects the hood scoop as it redirects the hot air from your turbo onto your valve cover; not good!

The ECM tuning is great, but will do very little if the engine can't get enough cold-air in AND out. Thus why an intake and exhaust make a huge difference. Dyno testing and other flow test have indicated that the aftermarket downpipes do very little and will more than likely cause an error code to show up. Your JCW lower intake, JCW exhaust, and JCW turbo will likely flow plenty of air for what your looking to do. The ram-air style intake makes a noticeable difference (at least in my case) when accelerating at speed. Opening up the small holes in the JCW air-scoop grill would help this as well.

As for saving money: look on Craigslist locally and on the "For Sale" section here on NAM. People are constantly buying, selling, upgrading, parts and selling off their old parts. Used bolt-on parts work just fine.

I got my NM wheels with really nice tires, an ALTA Front mount intercooler, NM boost tap, NM 22mm rear-sway bar, and an ALTA recirc-valve (which I never installed) from a local guy who was un-customizing his MINI. All of which cost me less than the price of buying and shipping the ALTA intercooler brand new. Oh, and on that note, never offer someone less than asking price until you are in front of them with CASH in hand. DON'T be THAT guy! Only negotiate/talk pricing when you have seen the part and met the seller. CASH talks, BS walks. Make your offer, show them the cash, and then SHUT UP. Let them think. Let them look at the money; even hold it. Humans don't want to hand the cash back to you. Oh, and bring a friend with you so that your safe. Best to meet in a public setting, blah blah blah...

Old 02-03-2017, 02:46 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Alongside suggestions of track days, check out autocross (aka Solo) in your area. It focuses more on quick direction changes like slaloms, reaching top speeds of maybe 50 mph in a small cone course with nothing to hit if you go beyond the car's limits. Aside from driving way crazier than you are allowed on the street, you learn about your car and what it can handle. I like to consider it training for emergency maneuvers.

Like absolutjh22 says, standard path to more power is intake, exhaust, intercooler, tune, and catless DP. Although I'm curious about that last opinion on negotiating. I do all my negotiation before meeting up and then it's a quick transaction to make sure product is as advertised.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:13 PM
bk_mini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or you can buy my Factory Clubman JCW w/ Alta Stage 4 upgrade.

no kidding . it is for sale.