R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 2011 Clubman light questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 12:47 PM
atariangamer
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Clubman light questions

I didn't have much time when I bought my MINI to ask questions about the way things are with these cars. I've been looking for help in understanding some 'quirks' about the design...

My car is the Clubman base with some simple additions, but it doesn't appear to have the fog lamp options. The parking lights on the lower part of the front bumper only give light from the top third, while the rest are just... blank grey. Is this correct, or is something else supposed to be in that place?

I know the Clubman only has one reverse light, but the lamp in the same position on the other side claims it's a 'rear fog lamp', but again, I can't seem to make it do anything because I have no fog lamp switch.

Would also love to know if there's a place to go for aftermarket parts for non-S model Clubmans. Specifically for replacing the parking lights to be brighter/more useful, and finding a brighter reverse light.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 01-09-2017, 06:49 AM
Opulent Pauper
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had the same questions arise shortly after my purchase last summer.
From my research, the best you can do with the front parking lights, is to by the LED replacements in a driving/fog light configuration. These are aftermarket, but they fit
exactly like the old ones with no modifications other than wiring in the switch and relays.
I've yet to do this on my rig, because I'm considering installing driving lights instead.
I'm not convinced the mod will be enough to counteract my night vision/low light acuity issues at 61 years old.
If you have tinted glass in back, the single reverse light is almost useless.
One trick is to buy the English version rear tail light assembly for the red "fog light" side.
It has a reverse light exactly like your other one, and looks more like every other car on the road.
It too will require some wiring in, but short of installing an old school reverse light, it's the only way to increase your chances of actually being able to see anything looming behind you in the dark. I have quickly learned to inspect the areas behind my car before I jump in, ready to leave.
Like the early wee beasties, these vehicles have so much character and charm, they get away with issues such as these. It's like a dog who will fight to the death to protect you, love you unconditionally, but chew up your furniture when you're at work.
I hope this helps.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:18 PM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
The MINI driving lights are not cheap. I had the LED ones installed on my 12 clubby. Visually they are stunning. Parked exactly next to a Clubby with halogen driving lights the Halogen gave a much better light pattern. Against the garage door at night, the LED have a top hat throw. The halogen are like a big bright light with no pattern limitation. I sold that Clubby (not because of the lights lol) and bought a 2011 that had halogen driving lights. I prefer the halogen for what it is worth.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:43 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Opulent Pauper
I've had the same questions arise shortly after my purchase last summer.
From my research, the best you can do with the front parking lights, is to by the LED replacements in a driving/fog light configuration. These are aftermarket, but they fit
exactly like the old ones with no modifications other than wiring in the switch and relays.
I've yet to do this on my rig, because I'm considering installing driving lights instead.
I'm not convinced the mod will be enough to counteract my night vision/low light acuity issues at 61 years old.
If you have tinted glass in back, the single reverse light is almost useless.
One trick is to buy the English version rear tail light assembly for the red "fog light" side.
It has a reverse light exactly like your other one, and looks more like every other car on the road.
It too will require some wiring in, but short of installing an old school reverse light, it's the only way to increase your chances of actually being able to see anything looming behind you in the dark. I have quickly learned to inspect the areas behind my car before I jump in, ready to leave.
Like the early wee beasties, these vehicles have so much character and charm, they get away with issues such as these. It's like a dog who will fight to the death to protect you, love you unconditionally, but chew up your furniture when you're at work.
I hope this helps.
At 64 YO, I feel your night driving pain....I just purchased some OE LED fog lights and am in the process of installing them. Bought them here -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-MINI.../201777657218?

delivery was quick and the lights are the genuine article.

Appreciate your thoughts on the backup light...I have tinted windows and it's impossible to see anything behind me at night....have been considering adding an aftermarket parking distance control on my license plate...or even a camera (seems like overkill though).....improving the lighting makes sense....I have the fog light in back, which I don't want to lose, so converting my taillight to the English issue isn't my first choice. Adding an auxiliary backup light might be a possibility though....have to give it some thought.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:59 PM
SODA66
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bugeye1031
At 64 YO, I feel your night driving pain....I just purchased some OE LED fog lights and am in the process of installing them. Bought them here -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-MINI.../201777657218?

delivery was quick and the lights are the genuine article.

Appreciate your thoughts on the backup light...I have tinted windows and it's impossible to see anything behind me at night....have been considering adding an aftermarket parking distance control on my license plate...or even a camera (seems like overkill though).....improving the lighting makes sense....I have the fog light in back, which I don't want to lose, so converting my taillight to the English issue isn't my first choice. Adding an auxiliary backup light might be a possibility though....have to give it some thought.

Looks like your Mini Clubman did not come with Fog lights. From what I have read in the past it is not possible to hook up the new Mini Fogs to a non Fog mini. IF you do it please let me know. I want to do the same thing

Old 02-02-2017, 11:07 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
There is allot of info here on the install: 63122338554

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ls-fitted.html

Its for cars that have foglights but I remember some people were trying to mod them to fit with MINI with just position lights and not foglight.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-04-2022, 06:29 PM
Clockwork
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Having the rear fog light as an option in my car makes it a bit more fussy to just buy a Left hand UK lap housing and install as then I would have a wire for the rear fog left hanging (assumed I'd disconnect it from wire harness and slip in a new tapped wire from other reverse light) and that would give errors when doing vehicle error readouts that I can't handle... So I may just install aftermarket LED white powerful lights next to license plate area... It will look aftermarket, yes, but be very functional. I'm not out to win Concourse awards with this car.

Old 08-04-2022, 06:33 PM
Clockwork
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If I do go that aftermarket LED lamps route, I could THEN repurpose the reverse light spot in right side by putting a second (red bulbed) light in the right side so then I'd have two rear fog lamps, like my e31 does (from factory). Yes I'd remove the reverse wire from wire harness and securely mount and connect it to the aftermarket LED reverse lights and the run a new tapped rear fog lamp wire and proper wire connection to clip into factory right side wire harness.
Hmmmmmm on second thought, I NEED the factory bulb to still be lit to send the proper resistance value back to computer (adding low volt required LEDs should not trip car errors, unless you do not use a factor bulb too) and I'm not wanting to mess about with adding resistors to aftermarket LEDs... Damn.

Last edited by Clockwork; 08-04-2022 at 06:45 PM.