Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Rough idle/misfire pls help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 03:53 PM
Gearheadjeff
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough idle/misfire pls help!!!

okay so i put my car into front end service mode i had to replace the auxiliary water pump for the turbo and then the seals for the oil cooler/water cooler housing the thing the oil filter is attached to. well upon putting everything....EVERYTHING back together i go to start my car and i have a really rough horrible idle. i replaced oil and oil filter and did a coolant flush aswell my battery was disconnected aswell for almost a full day when i was making the repair. someone please help im not really a mini mechanic and this is my first mini but i do know my stuff.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:31 PM
Gearheadjeff
1st Gear
What sensor unplugged could cause this? Could a bad fuse or relay cause this? I've retraced my steps and don't see anything I've done wrong.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:16 AM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You may have accidentally popped off the vacuum hose that connects to the bronze fitting towards the bottom of the vacuum pump..? On my R55 there isn't any clip or anything holding that hose on, it's just a friction fit.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:16 AM
Gearheadjeff
1st Gear
Just checked and unfortunately that's not the problem it seemed to be connected so I'm still stumped on what's going on. It has to be somthing that disconnect and on the front side of the motor

Old 05-05-2016, 10:43 AM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Oil filler cap, maybe even the dipstick? Seems like an air leak of some sort. Does it sound like it's sucking air anywhere or louder anywhere? Didn't leave anything stuffed in the intake, like a towel to prevent debris from falling into the turbo? Make sure all sensors are reconnected.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:19 AM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Do you have anything to check engine codes like a Bluetooth ODB2 adapter?

Old 05-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Gearheadjeff
1st Gear
Originally Posted by neonsteve
Oil filler cap, maybe even the dipstick? Seems like an air leak of some sort. Does it sound like it's sucking air anywhere or louder anywhere? Didn't leave anything stuffed in the intake, like a towel to prevent debris from falling into the turbo? Make sure all sensors are reconnected.
I don't think those would cause a misfire would it? I did notice I had an air leak from the intake to the valve cover the little hose with the sensor on it closest to the turbo. Would that cause a misfire I've never had a problem with it before.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Gearheadjeff
1st Gear
Do you have anything to check engine codes like a Bluetooth ODB2 adapter?
I do have obd2 adapter but my car isn't throwing any engine codes at all.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:07 AM
grussell
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like you have an air leak. Check every hose again to make sure the clamps are tight and that you didn't damage one during the work. You didn't post what year model you have, but the hoses do get brittle and crack.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Gearheadjeff
1st Gear
Originally Posted by grussell
Sounds like you have an air leak. Check every hose again to make sure the clamps are tight and that you didn't damage one during the work. You didn't post what year model you have, but the hoses do get brittle and crack.
would a bad gasket in between the turbo and the cat/downpipe cause a misfire? I'm going to make shure all my air lines are connected right and no air leaks when I'm finished putting everything back together so I'll let yall know an update as soon as I put everything back together

Old 05-07-2016, 04:31 PM
Gearheadjeff
1st Gear
It's a 09 mini cooper clubman s and it threw a code today while idle it's a P1497 downstream air leak? Don't even know where downstream air leak would be at. Would that be around the intercooler or what?

Old 05-07-2016, 05:47 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
The P1497 code helps. I did a bunch of searching on this and other Mini sites and most people are finding the valve cover has a leak and needs replacement, but also need to check all the intake pipes and hoses for tight clamps and possibly cracks and leaks. There were also hints that a timing chain that skipped a gear could cause the P1497.

Listen for and find a hissing sound or do a smoke or propane test. I've never done those types of tests personally, just passing the information.

Didn't you mention a small crack or leak on the intake pipe near where it connects to the turbo? What became of that?

Old 05-07-2016, 05:59 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
The PCV valve is built into the valve cover, and that could be the cause (from what I've been searching/reading) necessitating replacement of the valve cover. But I'd first check all the hose clamps on the intake since you indicated this problem started after replacing the oil filter heat exchanger gaskets and some other things.

I don't have anything else to add. This problem is outside my realm of knowledge.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:59 AM
Gearheadjeff
1st Gear
Going to shop today

Well I just went ahead and towed it to a shop. Me and vacuum leaks just don't get along to much frustrations I'd rather just take it to the professional and let him deal with it. I can only do so much to my knowledge and vacuum leaks and wiring are not my cup of tea so I appreciate all the response yall have given and I will update on what the problem was in case anybody out there has this problem.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:47 PM
Gearheadjeff
1st Gear
Mechanic response

Supposedly my diverter valve had a leak? Would this cause a rough idle misfire anybody know. He said it was an adapter I had bought was letting air pass threw it. You can find it here

http://importimageracing.com/blow-off-valve-adapter-for-mini-r56-07.html
I had to replace my diverter valve almost a month ago and I decided to buy that along with it because it seemed interesting so I said why the hell not. I installed it along with the new diverter valve ran fine boost was strong and it didn't sound to bad for a little adapter. My problem is that it never gave me a problem before but the mechanic said that was the problem and everything is working fine now. I'll be picking the car up tomorrow and see how it runs.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:25 PM
Bigfig
1st Gear
Wiki has a pretty good explanation of blow off valve and advantages and disadvantages.

It described a situation where you could of been running rich and system detected some abnormal.

Cool idea but with my short experience with the mini the ECM doesn't like to be messed with.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:01 PM
grussell
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The P1497 code helps. I did a bunch of searching on this and other Mini sites and most people are finding the valve cover has a leak and needs replacement, but also need to check all the intake pipes and hoses for tight clamps and possibly cracks and leaks. There were also hints that a timing chain that skipped a gear could cause the P1497.

Listen for and find a hissing sound or do a smoke or propane test. I've never done those types of tests personally, just passing the information.

Didn't you mention a small crack or leak on the intake pipe near where it connects to the turbo? What became of that?
Back in February had rough idle and misfires on 2 cylinders. It ended up being the ccv in the valve cover. Click here for the thread

There is a video of my engine with the rough idle and one method to test the ccv. Listen all the way to the end of the video...

Old 05-12-2016, 09:16 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Back in February had rough idle and misfires on 2 cylinders. It ended up being the ccv in the valve cover. Click here for the thread

There is a video of my engine with the rough idle and one method to test the ccv. Listen all the way to the end of the video...
Wow that's crazy. Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-13-2016, 10:20 AM
Gearheadjeff
1st Gear
Bad alternator?

I know a bad alternator can cause a misfire. And I'm thinking that I might have messed mine up or at least the voltage regulator. Upon removing my heat shield I accidentally bumped it across the alternator and cause some big sparks and it arked a little bit but could that possible have shorted out my altinator at all? It's by no means a new one and in fact I domt think it's ever been changed within the 110k miles that are on the car.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:58 PM
Cobra-racer
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gearhead- I just went thru the same issue after the dealer did the timing chain repair. P1497/2B64 code. Un metered air- the misfire can definitely be caused by a leak. Do a smoke test. My test revealed that the technician either reused the valve cover gasket or installed the new one incorrectly. I had a leak at bolt #13 that was pissing oil but more importantly leaking vacuum.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:29 PM
olpaul
Neutral
My daughters 2008 Mini S burned an exhaust valve in cylinder #1. It threw codes for misfire, and P1497. After having the head rebuilt, I assembled the engine, and it threw code P1497 again. The culprit was a cracked plastic PVC hose running from the back of the head/valve cover to the intake. This video explains how I fixed it. This plastic pipe is incredibly thin.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:28 PM
Ben Hayes
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Had a leak at bolt #13 that was pissing oil but more importantly leaking vacuum." #priorities

Last edited by Ben Hayes; 01-17-2018 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Added quotes so people don't get mad.