R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 2016 Clubman

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 03:14 PM
GDGR
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I have zero idea what the point of the Countryman is. I don't understand any of these "mini crossovers", honestly.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:21 PM
Fantastic Choice
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. What do you lose if those of us who need a larger car get a MINI? Our last 4 cars have all been MINIs, and we are thrilled that we could get this. Its a MINI, a real MINI, just different. Why do folks get upset since you're not forced to buy one? They didn't do away with a small one to make this gorgeous one. This is our favorite car ever! Even more so than my 2008 Cabrio S (our first mini, which we still have and love). We both work in the same building, though we come and go at different times, and we love them both so much that each of us drives one to work and then drives the other home! That way we have the best of both! Enjoy!

Old 06-22-2016, 03:21 PM
perryinva
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with you there, too. We drove the Countryman (or the 4 door as it is now called), and I don't get it either. It is too tall to handle well, and too short for a great ride. One of the things I love about the Clubman's is the barn doors. I am no fan of regular hatchbacks...like a bellybutton...everyone's got one. Drive a new Clubman before you judge it. The handling surprised me a lot. No corner bump over steer at all (one of the many handling banes of the '08 MCCS), zero turbo lag, etc. About the only thing I am disappointed with handling wise, and am hoping its a break in thing is that the brakes are too soft. I have Akebono's on my MCCS and it stops on a dime, with near perfect feedback.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:25 PM
Milkman
2nd Gear
We come from the other demographic, the family wagon. Subaru got rid of the Legacy wagon, we tried a Mercedes wagon but too much tech in them now. The interior of the Volkswagen was just not at nice.

Where can you find a nice small turbocharged, luxury, sporty wagon anymore? Looking at it from this point of view it's a chopped small sporty wagon instead of a bloated MINI from our perspective. No way our family could own a regular one and use as a true everyday vehicle like some can.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:12 PM
Honeybadgers
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GDGR
I have zero idea what the point of the Countryman is. I don't understand any of these "mini crossovers", honestly.
I completely agree (I despise crossovers in their entirety) but I feel like the current clubman could be what the countryman is without issue (hell, it even comes in a 4track model, right?) and keep the clubman the slightly roomier subcompact it was. But like I said before, my gripes are purely academic. All it means is I won't be buying one used in eight or ten years, but I already have a land rover for family use anyways, so I'm not even in the target demographic. Some people seem to be getting very upset that I dislike the current clubman. Relax, guys, my dislike of it should do nothing to detract from your enjoyment! I also put red wine vinegar in my lentil soup, I'm pretty sure that makes me certifiably insane anyways.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:41 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
The new Clubman appears to be a cross between the old one and a Countryman. It kind of looks like someone pulled the Countryman from both ends and added different rear doors. I like my Countryman, so stop beatin on it!

Old 06-22-2016, 05:22 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Honeybadgers
What's the point of the countryman then? Because it's certainly not an off road vehicle of any sort (no the rally car doesn't count!)
Please stop trolling. Thank you.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:13 PM
Honeybadgers
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bratling
Please stop trolling. Thank you.
Definitely trolling when I did nothing but politely state that I dislike the look of the new clubman (and even qualify the opinion by declaring that it was simply that - an opinion)

And if you're implying that I was being facetious about the countryman not being an off roader, I'd like to point you towards the only real off roader crossover that exists - the Jeep renegade trailhawk, and its capabilities (youtube dirt every day jeep renegade)

Old 06-24-2016, 07:27 AM
mdri98
2nd Gear
2017 s all4

Hi all!

Just wanted to introduce myself...(I don't mean to interrupt ongoing discussion here but...)
We had placed an order on the 3rd and FINALLY got notified by our sales person that the production week 26 would be our slot!
(which starts from next week, ye~y!!)
We still have some time to wait...but am happy that we more or less know where my car is...(will be...)
Hopefully time just flies once next week arrives...

Old 06-24-2016, 07:35 AM
TC Mini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mdri98
Hi all!

Just wanted to introduce myself...(I don't mean to interrupt ongoing discussion here but...)
No worries, and no you're not interrupting! Welcome and congrats on your upcoming Clubman. I just hit 3500 miles and absolutely loving it...:thumbs:

Again, congrats and welcome!

Last edited by TC Mini; 06-25-2016 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:23 AM
Milkman
2nd Gear
Just an FYI for people looking for accessories. The Gen 3 interior rear view mirror cover for the F56 does not fit the new Clubman

Parts department said they would fit when they brought it up in the computer.

Last edited by Milkman; 06-25-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:07 PM
Quentin
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Honeybadgers
Definitely trolling when I did nothing but politely state that I dislike the look of the new clubman (and even qualify the opinion by declaring that it was simply that - an opinion)

And if you're implying that I was being facetious about the countryman not being an off roader, I'd like to point you towards the only real off roader crossover that exists - the Jeep renegade trailhawk, and its capabilities (youtube dirt every day jeep renegade)
You are trolling because you expressed your negative opinion not to MINI corporate (the people that can actually change what the Clubman is) but to the people that bought or are considering the Clubman. It adds nothing to the conversation other than negativity.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:39 PM
gowest
4th Gear
All4 Mods?

I am considering a new Clubman All4. I wondering if there are any software mods that are designed to improve handling on any of the Mini All4 or BMW Xdrive systems?

Old 06-27-2016, 05:40 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
What handling issues are concerning you?

Old 06-29-2016, 03:35 PM
Milkman
2nd Gear
Now up to 987 miles on our new Clubman. Good news is the radiator/cooling fan repair seems to have been successful. Almost 500 miles on after the repair now. Good to have our Clubman back, really enjoying it.

One small issue arose after it was returned that we showed the service advisor today and they are sending to the regional rep for review in case anyone else has this happen. When the car was returned the steering wheel started "blistering" I guess I'll call it on the lower left side when the wheel is straight. Here is a quick picture, it's like either a solvent got on it or the leatherette has a flaw in it that has now blistered. It's not a place we hold the wheel and my wife and I don't wear rings on our left hands. Service advisor said it will need a whole new steering wheel. We noted on our key and he'll get back to us on an answer.

On a better note I've been scanning Craigslist looking for an old R53 to bang around in and came across this yesterday.

We went and picked them up today and looks like they will fit as we showed them to the service department when we stopped. Couldn't believe $100 for winter wheels and tires. Tried to pay the guy more but he wouldn't take it if you'll believe it.

So here's how the OZ Racing MSW Type 22's look on a Clubman

Keep an eye out on Craigslist as there seems to be quite a few winter tire sets popping up right now for those that need them.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:38 AM
gowest
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
What handling issues are concerning you?
No issues. I've only looked at it in the showroom but I'm wondering if the balance of the car can be changed with a software mod that will put more of the driving force to the rear wheels, on a normal basis.

I'm guessing if something like this exists it, or something similar, would apply to all current All4 or BMW XDrive cars?

Old 07-01-2016, 08:14 AM
gowest
4th Gear
I hope this isn't sacrilege but can anyone recommend a BMW X1 related forum, since they are on the same platform?
I'd like to know what issues they are having and any big differences in the two vehicles. I know the tire sizes on the BWW are significantly bigger.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:40 AM
Miata13
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gowest
I hope this isn't sacrilege but can anyone recommend a BMW X1 related forum, since they are on the same platform?
I'd like to know what issues they are having and any big differences in the two vehicles. I know the tire sizes on the BWW are significantly bigger.
Check out Bimmerfest here for the current version of BMW's X1 http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=197

Rick

Old 07-01-2016, 09:37 PM
GDGR
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Dome light question

Hey everyone,

Does the center part of your F54's dome light (the one above the front-seat passengers' heads, that has the rear seat reading lights on the edges) light up? Looks like it's supposed to but mine doesn't. Just wondering.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:16 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by gowest
No issues. I've only looked at it in the showroom but I'm wondering if the balance of the car can be changed with a software mod that will put more of the driving force to the rear wheels, on a normal basis.

I'm guessing if something like this exists it, or something similar, would apply to all current All4 or BMW XDrive cars?
I confess I'm not quite sure what you are looking for. At low power, the All4 is biased toward the front wheels. As power increases, or as the front wheels slip, power is apportioned increasingly to the rear wheels. This improves grip and acceleration, yet under conditions such as highway driving it improves efficiency vs. 4WD mode by not wasting power through the center and rear differentials.

I suppose the computer could direct most power to the rear, but that would both lower efficiency and not gain much in the way of performance except on a drag strip. If you want a RWD-biased AWd system, you probably want to look at a true BMW with their X-drive system. Unlike the All4 in the mini, it's RWD by default and adds power at the front as the rear wheels slip.

Hope this helps? Apologies if I'm saying what you've already read about

Old 07-03-2016, 02:49 AM
arnot327
1st Gear
Brake lights

Have to agree that the brake light issue is potentially a public health/safety issue. As with so many of these, the manufacturer will likely only address it when/if the cost of not addressing it exceeds the cost of addressing it - i.e., a number of major lawsuits citing numerous complaints drawing attention to the issue. So, we gotta draw attention to it - document, document, document: humbly suggest that any concerned submit a complaint to NHTSA at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/. (Curiously, when I access this site today I find no prior complaints listed, despite the posting on page 13 of this thread.) Hopefully BMW will get wind of the issue (as if they haven't already!) and decide to preemptively engineer a fix. The life you save may be your own...or your loved ones'.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:31 AM
JohnnyQuest
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't know how much credence a complaint will have for a "potential" problem. There is no evidence that the brake lights actually cause a problem, and they do function as intended. (Kind of like complaining your spouse may cheat on you. )

That being said, the brake lights are not only strangely located (which may actually draw additional attention to them), but their function is odd too. Each brake light is actually two side-by-side lights. Under normal braking, they both (all four) illuminate. However, when braking and using the blinker, one of the brake lights goes out (leaving only 3 illuminated). The brake light on the side with the blinker, goes out while the blinker (in the door) is on.

Have someone sit in the car and apply the brake as you watch from behind. All four lower brake lights illuminate. Then, while keeping a foot on the brake, have him/her apply the turn signal. One of the 4 brake lights goes out while the turn signal is on.

Pretty strange...

P.S. When the heck are we going to get an F54 dedicated forum on this site?!

Old 07-05-2016, 06:45 AM
TC Mini
2nd Gear
F54

Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest
P.S. When the heck are we going to get an F54 dedicated forum on this site?!
I agree

Rather surprised that there isn't one yet

Old 07-08-2016, 11:57 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bratling
I confess I'm not quite sure what you are looking for. At low power, the All4 is biased toward the front wheels. As power increases, or as the front wheels slip, power is apportioned increasingly to the rear wheels. This improves grip and acceleration, yet under conditions such as highway driving it improves efficiency vs. 4WD mode by not wasting power through the center and rear differentials.

I suppose the computer could direct most power to the rear, but that would both lower efficiency and not gain much in the way of performance except on a drag strip. If you want a RWD-biased AWd system, you probably want to look at a true BMW with their X-drive system. Unlike the All4 in the mini, it's RWD by default and adds power at the front as the rear wheels slip.

Hope this helps? Apologies if I'm saying what you've already read about
Yes, the xDrive system and the ALL4 systems are similar but operate very differently. Like bratling mentioned, xDrive is RWD biased and a little more advanced than the ALL4 system MINI uses. ALL4, on the Countryman anyway (haven't read anything specific on the Clubman and the new ALL4 system that would suggest otherwise), torque is normally split between the axles at a 58:42 ratio (front:rear). As the car speeds up, more power is transferred to the front for better fuel consumption, but ALL4 is capable of sending more power to the rear axle is conditions call for it (ex: front wheels are on ice and have no traction). xDrive can also send more power to a specific rear wheel (torque vectoring), which is something ALL4 cannot do.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:07 PM
Milkman
2nd Gear
Welp 1419 miles on it now. Back to the dealer this week. Driver side rear window works every 1 out of 5 tries going up and down (which altho annoying we could live with until next delaer visit) but today it sounds like bearing going in the cooling fan as we have a loud squeak until it warms up. Thought it might be belt but definately sounds more like a bearing.

Love our MINI but we either got a lemon or the bugs are not worked out on this new model yet.

Quick Reply: R55 2016 Clubman