R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 2016 Clubman

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 07:44 AM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest
It will be interesting to see how this affects sales figures since the previous Clubman never had the option like the Countryman does.
For the existing Countryman, does anyone have sales figures of the All4 models versus regular FWD models for the past few years?
Might point where the market is heading with the love of AWD drive vehicles climbing back up since gas prices have gotten low again.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:21 PM
Sophandros
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put in an order for my burgundy/white (with white bonnet stripes) a couple weeks ago. March can't come soon enough.

Trading in my R56, which I'll miss, but I really, really liked the 2016 R54s.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:05 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
We will need pics .

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-03-2016, 12:25 PM
JohnnyQuest
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice! I test drove one last week. I was very impressed with the overall fit and finish and stuck-to-the-road feeling. It looks, feels, and drives like a bigger, more mature car, but still is nimble. The manual box is a joy. I'm going to test drive the All4 before I decide.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:20 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So did anyone else notice that the very large taillights that are mounted on the door don't function as brake lights in the US models?

Something to do with regulations as to where if you drive with the barn doors open you would technically have no brakelights.

So the brake lights are ONLY on the lower part of the bumper.

This was not an issue on the previous gen as the taillights were body mounted.

Seems like a pretty large design oversight to me ...

Old 02-03-2016, 01:56 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
yes, talked bout this with the MINIUSA product person. Yes, and so are the rear fogs. Has to do with the lights having to be in a fixed position and facing the rear.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-03-2016, 07:57 PM
gaffer
3rd Gear
Took the wife's '09 Clubman in for service and wound up trading for a '16 F54 justaClubman that was on the showroom floor. Burgundy & Black, Indigo leather, comfort access, 17" wheels, heated seats, premium pkg., trying to think of what else. (Still have my '05 Cooper) We love the new Clubman. FYI, It doesn't have a spare tire, jack or lug wrench like the '09 did. I asked about the availability of a spare tire kit and they say you can't get one. The owners manual shows one, so I don't know what's going on with that. There is definitely a place for it with a tapped screw hole to hold it down under the floor mat. Also, I want to find out if the outboard MINI "Garmin" Nuvi "click & drive" bracket will fit (this car doesn't have navigation). Hey, I get to drive it tomorrow! (To the tag office.)

Last edited by gaffer; 02-03-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:24 AM
JohnnyQuest
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gaffer
Took the wife's '09 Clubman in for service and wound up trading for a '16 F54 justaClubman that was on the showroom floor. Burgundy & Black, Indigo leather, comfort access, 17" wheels, heated seats, premium pkg., trying to think of what else. (Still have my '05 Cooper) We love the new Clubman. FYI, It doesn't have a spare tire, jack or lug wrench like the '09 did. I asked about the availability of a spare tire kit and they say you can't get one. The owners manual shows one, so I don't know what's going on with that. There is definitely a place for it with a tapped screw hole to hold it down under the floor mat. Also, I want to find out if the outboard MINI "Garmin" Nuvi "click & drive" bracket will fit (this car doesn't have navigation). Hey, I get to drive it tomorrow! (To the tag office.)
Congratulations. A spare is an accessory. If you go to Mini's build-your-own site, you'll see it listed as an option, so you can definitely get one.

Regarding the brake lights, that's very interesting. However, it may actually be a good highly visible thing to have 3 totally independent lights come on to indicate braking (assuming the the lower ones - like the center one - only function as brake lights.)

Old 02-04-2016, 08:08 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yes the click and drive should work. When I looked at the F54 tach it looked the same in person.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...6-ios-8-a.html

Old 02-04-2016, 05:42 PM
gaffer
3rd Gear
Much Thanks for the replies. I think the tach/speedo on the new F54 Clubman is the same as the F56, etc. My concern is the Clubman dash looks different with the tach/speedo nestled in a recess. For example, one NAM vendor says the "Click & Drive" bracket/wiring will fit while another NAM vendor says it won't. Sounds like I really need to confirm vendor return policies if I order one.

As far as the spare tire goes, you can "build" the car on the MINI USA website with a spare for $100, but the dealer will swear there is no such thing; only a "Mobility Kit" which includes a pump and a can of sealant for $169. (The old run flat argument.) I already have that all that stuff+ from Walmart for maybe $40 & TPMS friendly. As I said before, the owners manual shows a spare tire. There is a screw hole in the floor that I am sure is for a spare tire tie down bolt.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:09 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
If you have a thread down there, I assume the spare tire kit can be put there even if you didn't get it from the factory.

The kit part numbers are here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=71_0900

The spare wheel is here, but I couldn't find the tire to go with it:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=36_1999

Old 02-05-2016, 05:59 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Much Thanks for the replies. I think the tach/speedo on the new F54 Clubman is the same as the F56, etc. My concern is the Clubman dash looks different with the tach/speedo nestled in a recess. For example, one NAM vendor says the "Click & Drive" bracket/wiring will fit while another NAM vendor says it won't. Sounds like I really need to confirm vendor return policies if I order one.

As far as the spare tire goes, you can "build" the car on the MINI USA website with a spare for $100, but the dealer will swear there is no such thing; only a "Mobility Kit" which includes a pump and a can of sealant for $169. (The old run flat argument.) I already have that all that stuff+ from Walmart for maybe $40 & TPMS friendly. As I said before, the owners manual shows a spare tire. There is a screw hole in the floor that I am sure is for a spare tire tie down bolt.

Click and drive fits.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...61#65902357445

Old 02-06-2016, 06:46 PM
fxdavis
2nd Gear
Hopefully my 2016 Cooper S Clubman will be on a boat in a day or two; will be trading my 2014 Cooper S Hardtop...

Old 02-07-2016, 09:10 AM
Jeffob5
1st Gear
I have seen the new Clubman in the showroom and at this week's Phila Auto Show. I like it a lot but it's a very different car than the '13 Clubman I purchased late last year. To be honest, I went with the '13 because I was lucky enough to find a very low mileage demo with Bond Street edition option that was never licensed. It came with a great warranty and maintenance plan. So basically new and for under $25K I still think a great deal. These new Clubman S models similarly equipped are over $40K so cost is a big barrier. I think I'll stick with my '13 for a while!

Old 02-07-2016, 01:11 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffob5
I have seen the new Clubman in the showroom and at this week's Phila Auto Show. I like it a lot but it's a very different car than the '13 Clubman I purchased late last year. To be honest, I went with the '13 because I was lucky enough to find a very low mileage demo with Bond Street edition option that was never licensed. It came with a great warranty and maintenance plan. So basically new and for under $25K I still think a great deal. These new Clubman S models similarly equipped are over $40K so cost is a big barrier. I think I'll stick with my '13 for a while!
Definitely a whole different animal than the R55

I know that a lot of dealers have been ordering pretty specced out Clubman to draw in buyers that would be new to the brand from Audi, BMW, etc. as part of their "smart premium" push. Of course, this depends on the dealer. Keep in mind that the base price is still only $24100 for the Cooper and $27650 for the Cooper S. If you wanted to go for a decently equipped Clubman, you still could grab one for

Old 02-07-2016, 02:21 PM
Quentin
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
We have priced out an AWD Clubman S. We are looking at $36k to get what all tech we would want. Yikes.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:30 AM
pschuchman
2nd Gear
My new 2016 Clubman S is "sitting on the dock of the bay" now...

Yup, I decked mine out with just about everything...so I'm one of "those"...

Old 02-08-2016, 07:42 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
The F54 is more refined on the interior. When I sat in it with the new seats and power seats, i could tell thing have changed much.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:44 AM
JohnnyQuest
2nd Gear
Does anyone have information/recommendation on the best way to get a trailer hitch for the new Clubman? While the official press release specifically lists the tow hitch as an option and they show a close up photo of it, it's not a US option. I found the part numbers on the BMW OEM parts page, but I can't be sure exactly which parts I'll need. I assume there will be aftermarket options too when the car has been here longer. What do you think?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=71_0891

Old 02-09-2016, 11:48 AM
Quentin
2nd Gear
Does anyone have information/recommendation on the best way to get a trailer hitch for the new Clubman? While the official press release specifically lists the tow hitch as an option and they show a close up photo of it, it's not a US option. I found the part numbers on the BMW OEM parts page, but I can't be sure exactly which parts I'll need. I assume there will be aftermarket options too when the car has been here longer. What do you think?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=71_0891
Aftermarket will likely take up the slack. If you are lookin for bike racks, you can get something similar to what I have on my FR-S.

Name:  IMG_7198_zpsz7qwrpsx.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  307.9 KB

Old 02-09-2016, 11:55 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
the tow hitch there is not even available, its a euro thing.

Just the F54 roof rack 82712327922

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/82712327922/

And the F56 / F55 / F54 accesocires.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2014-...ior/Roof_Rack/

Nice Rockymount on the FR-S ,

Old 02-09-2016, 11:55 AM
JohnnyQuest
2nd Gear
Yeah, that's what I figure. It should be easy for someone to just copy the standard mount. I'm sure they will be available in a couple of months.

Nice FR-S. I like white cars (I have two), but I do not like the Pepper White on the Clubman (at all). I love the Burgundy and BRG with a white top.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:58 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
In the past the rear hitch was only a euro thing, lots of aftermarket option though in the past. We will see in the future if MINI makes more these available, but my guess with safety and test standard those factory hitches always get the axe.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:01 PM
Quentin
2nd Gear
Yeah, that's what I figure. It should be easy for someone to just copy the standard mount. I'm sure they will be available in a couple of months.

Nice FR-S. I like white cars (I have two), but I do not like the Pepper White on the Clubman (at all). I love the Burgundy and BRG with a white top.
Thanks. We have a pepper white R53 and my wife wants her Clubman in pepper white, too. She wants the black 18" wheels this time to match the black roof and black bonnet stripes. The red 4Runner I bought last month replaced a white RAV4 that replaced a white Prius v that replaced a white 4Runner that replaced a white GTI. It was quite a streak of white cars until the 4Runner.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:10 PM
JohnnyQuest
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Quentin
Thanks. We have a pepper white R53 and my wife wants her Clubman in pepper white, too. She wants the black 18" wheels this time to match the black roof and black bonnet stripes. The red 4Runner I bought last month replaced a white RAV4 that replaced a white Prius v that replaced a white 4Runner that replaced a white GTI. It was quite a streak of white cars until the 4Runner.
Yeah, it's funny how photos and in-person are so different. I love white cars, but the Pepper White looks too yellow to me and just makes the R54 look huge in person. I really like the Burgundy in person. But I was shocked at how dark it looked compared to the photos. It looks black from some angles. I like the red, but it's a bit "louder" than I will probably want. The BRG really looks fantastic in person as do some of the grays. We'll see.. I need to drive the All4 and also see the new blue.

Back to the hitch: I absolutely need one so I can trail my dirt bike (motorcycle), but expect several options soon.

Also, I hope Toyota makes the FR-S into a Toyota now that Scion is dead (although Subaru will keep it alive regardless).

Quick Reply: R55 2016 Clubman