R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 2016 Clubman

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 05:06 AM
JohnnyQuest
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
You are looking at the issue with a bias. Someone who has never been behind a Clubman is not thinking about the odd location of the lights, they are drawn into thinking about those large lights higher up on the door and when the car comes to a panic stop they might miss or delay in reaction. If you are ok getting slammed, that's obviously your choice. I pass for now.
I agree that you make a valid point. It will be interesting to see if the Clubman ends up having a higher than normal rear end collision rate. My bet is no, but I guess we'll see in a couple of years.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:30 AM
Huey6915609
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milkman
Enjoy your new Clubman's! Update on ours, still no car. Dealership repaired the car but damage was done to the front end during the repair apparently. They said it was a scuff but it's now spent 4 days at the bodyshop trying to be fixed. It was to be returned at 4:30pm to the dealership last night but they called and said the fix was not correct and the bodyshop has to try again. Now we are on to Friday before it may be done.

My patience is wearing very thin. We have been friendly and accommodating but we will be 20 days not having our brand new vehicle which now has a paint repair. If it's not done Friday we may request a refund and just go buy an older MINI convertible and go get a dependable Japanese vehicle as her main ride (with actual brake lights, sorry couldn't resist )

Milkman,
I can understand your grief with this. I've had some next-day new car issues before (VWs for 17 years) and you aren't alone. Try to look at it from a different angle. Maybe they're trying to make you happy. I've had my car in the shop for one thing and get a new problem coming back out of it....repeatedly. I know you want your baby running and looking good too.

I also believe they gave you a Mini to drive for now? My VW has been hauled off many times. My servicing dealer sells VW, Mazda, Audi, and Porshe. They've given me a Mazda-3 twice, a Mazda-6 once, and set me up with a rental down the road the rest of the time and they were crappy rides. At least I almost liked the Mazda-6. In order to get ANY of those loaners, I had to raise a stink with the OWNER of the dealership! I had bought my GLI from them for 26k (Dec 2005) and they refused to loan me one of their many Golfs, Passats, Eos's, CC, Beetles, etc... I refuse to do any business with Mofit VW in Bossier City, Louisiana again.

What I'm trying to impress upon you is to let them make you happy. I think they're trying. This can go one of two ways: They can take a long time and give you a piece of trash or they can take a long time and give you a great product. It sounds like you're going to get a nice car back. I always told my VW guys to take their time with everything, but I always got crap. I think you'll be happy in the end.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:36 AM
Fantastic Choice
2nd Gear
That's interesting. Our MINI dealer seems to always take "too long", but we always get a quality product back, with all the MINIs we've had (our Clubby is #4). Even with our 2008 Cabrio, which is long out of warranty, for major stuff, we always get a loaner, and every time for the Clubby, even if its just a short time repair. Its annoying to wait, but the experience is always worth it in the long run.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:48 AM
Milkman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Huey6915609
Milkman,
I can understand your grief with this. I've had some next-day new car issues before (VWs for 17 years) and you aren't alone. Try to look at it from a different angle. Maybe they're trying to make you happy. I've had my car in the shop for one thing and get a new problem coming back out of it....repeatedly. I know you want your baby running and looking good too.

I also believe they gave you a Mini to drive for now? My VW has been hauled off many times. My servicing dealer sells VW, Mazda, Audi, and Porshe. They've given me a Mazda-3 twice, a Mazda-6 once, and set me up with a rental down the road the rest of the time and they were crappy rides. At least I almost liked the Mazda-6. In order to get ANY of those loaners, I had to raise a stink with the OWNER of the dealership! I had bought my GLI from them for 26k (Dec 2005) and they refused to loan me one of their many Golfs, Passats, Eos's, CC, Beetles, etc... I refuse to do any business with Mofit VW in Bossier City, Louisiana again.

What I'm trying to impress upon you is to let them make you happy. I think they're trying. This can go one of two ways: They can take a long time and give you a piece of trash or they can take a long time and give you a great product. It sounds like you're going to get a nice car back. I always told my VW guys to take their time with everything, but I always got crap. I think you'll be happy in the end.
Originally Posted by Fantastic Choice
That's interesting. Our MINI dealer seems to always take "too long", but we always get a quality product back, with all the MINIs we've had (our Clubby is #4). Even with our 2008 Cabrio, which is long out of warranty, for major stuff, we always get a loaner, and every time for the Clubby, even if its just a short time repair. Its annoying to wait, but the experience is always worth it in the long run.
Thanks for the words of encouragement and your experiences with the dealers. I guess I've been lucky in my previous vehicles as knock on wood I've never had to wait very long for my vehicle to be repaired before.

They called this morning and said it was done. Apologized profusely and said they were going to do whatever it takes to make me a happy MINI owner again like you both said. I'm headed up after lunch and I'll provide everyone the happy conclusion to this tale hopefully.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:20 PM
Huey6915609
1st Gear
That's good. That's a pretty Mini you have there. In fact, I wanted the Racing Green but after seeing your car I may opt for the white also. It was pretty, even with the juice all over the driveway

Old 06-17-2016, 05:23 PM
Milkman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Huey6915609
That's good. That's a pretty Mini you have there. In fact, I wanted the Racing Green but after seeing your car I may opt for the white also. It was pretty, even with the juice all over the driveway
Thanks, really like the Pepper White so far. Everybody was right, this is what I showed up to today:

Car was fixed well and we were well compensated in the end for our troubles (and I'll leave it at that). Glad to have our Clubman back and looking forward to do some Motoring this weekend.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:11 PM
Huey6915609
1st Gear
Is that a red bow? I need to get my machine from up there. Road Trip!!

Old 06-18-2016, 07:32 AM
TC Mini
2nd Gear
Thanks, really like the Pepper White so far. Everybody was right, this is what I showed up to today:

Glad to have our Clubman back and looking forward to do some Motoring this weekend.
Glad too see you're back to motoring...

Old 06-18-2016, 08:23 AM
Quentin
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Pepper white is very popular Clubmen.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:56 PM
ClassicFrog
Neutral
Took delivery of my all4 clubman on Friday.

With the proclip installed. Needed waze to find my way home.

Loving it so far. My first mini

Old 06-18-2016, 07:11 PM
Milkman
2nd Gear
Looks great, really like the darker colors on the Clubman but I was overruled. I've had my finger on the trigger to buy the ProClip so I'm interested to see what you think of it.

The dealer re-detailed ours or what I like to call "spraying the tire shine on everything" so she got a bath and a new coat of wax put on today.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:16 AM
TC Mini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ClassicFrog
Took delivery of my all4 clubman on Friday.

Congrats and Welcome... You're gonna love this car!!

Old 06-19-2016, 05:55 AM
ClassicFrog
Neutral
Looks great, really like the darker colors on the Clubman but I was overruled. I've had my finger on the trigger to buy the ProClip so I'm interested to see what you think of it.

The dealer re-detailed ours or what I like to call "spraying the tire shine on everything" so she got a bath and a new coat of wax put on today.
I really love the proclip. Once mounted they are super solid. Feel like part of the dash. I was a little worried that my 6 plus iPhone would cover the entire display or my window but the placement of the mount is very thought out and it works great.

On that note I am a bit annoyed the up and down arrows on the steering wheel can't control the back/next on my Bluetooth connected phone. And there's no pause. But I will get used to it.

I have lots of little complaints like that that I will have to get used to.

Overall loving the car though.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:56 PM
JohnnyQuest
2nd Gear
Looks really nice! I most went with Burgundy.

Here's some shots of mine. I put it on the lift to install the hitch and to have a look at the underside. The hitch works really well. My trailer is perfectly balanced so the tongue weight is next to zero. The trailer weighs about 400 lbs and the bike is around 260. I took if for a test drive and took it up to freeway speed; I honestly couldn't feel anything back there. I got the hitch from OutMotoring.

Also, the hitch is great protection against getting rear ended by people who can't see the brake lights! I just may trail the bike wherever I go.

Attached Thumbnails 2016 Clubman-img_8065.jpg   2016 Clubman-img_8063.jpg   2016 Clubman-img_8062.jpg   2016 Clubman-img_8017.jpg   2016 Clubman-img_8020.jpg  

Old 06-19-2016, 07:39 PM
Huey6915609
1st Gear
Nice!!

My finance Minister is out of town with the kids. She comes back home Tuesday and I'll commence "Operation Whine-a-lot." I want one of these buggers. Oh, I want one bad.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:22 PM
Fantastic Choice
2nd Gear
Just get her to go for a test drive with you. No one who has been in ours doesn't want one!

Old 06-21-2016, 03:39 AM
ClassicFrog
Neutral
Is it normal for there to be a very tangible resistance when shifting to 2nd and 3rd gear? It feels like the resistance you get normally when trying to shift into first while still moving a little. It makes any sort of quick shift impossible and doesn't feel right. My last manual transmission car years ago was a 2001 Audi S4 and all the gears were precise but there was no resistance when shifting between them (except shifting to first while still moving).

Anyone else got a new clubman with manual transmission that can compare to my experience?

Old 06-21-2016, 04:45 AM
JohnnyQuest
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ClassicFrog
Is it normal for there to be a very tangible resistance when shifting to 2nd and 3rd gear? It feels like the resistance you get normally when trying to shift into first while still moving a little. It makes any sort of quick shift impossible and doesn't feel right. My last manual transmission car years ago was a 2001 Audi S4 and all the gears were precise but there was no resistance when shifting between them (except shifting to first while still moving).

Anyone else got a new clubman with manual transmission that can compare to my experience?
Mine is buttery smooth. Sounds like something is wrong with your linkage/cables. Perhaps a bushing is binding.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:46 PM
GDGR
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
On the rear lights question ...

I've had my '16 Clubman since early March, and I've had quite a few people comment to me about the strangeness of the brake lights.

Rather than all of the aftermarket wiring-related changes that have been discussed ... I'm guessing it's just a software thing to make the turn signal bulbs light up with the brake lights (when that side isn't signaling). This strategy of combining turn/brake lights in a single bulb is very common as I'm sure you all know. They are mandated to be the same brightness.

BMWs for years (and as we all know, this car is basically a BMW, so I'd be shocked if this didn't apply here) have driven their lights through software through a system called the "Light Control Module". I'm not a BMW hacker but there are lots of tools out there to allow people to play with the various control modules in the car. I wonder if an enterprising programmer (I'd pay money) could modify the software to merely light the turn signal bulbs in the rear doors whenever the brakes are activated and the turn signal isn't also active.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:59 PM
Milkman
2nd Gear
Well if someone knows or finds someone willing to try to program the lights I'm in for putting some money towards the effort. Just send me a PM.

Starting to add some accessories and freshly detailed since we got it back. Such a cool little car.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:17 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Would be interesting to find out if those lights are coded differently in other countries, then it would be a simple task of re-coding. Well simple for those with the know how. LOL

Old 06-22-2016, 02:56 PM
Honeybadgers
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not gonna lie, I detest the look. It's enormous. Why bother selling a MINI that's the size of a full size car? The latest mini feels like a barge compared to my 2003 works. Sure, the countryman sort of makes sense for the small family market segment, but the clubman has always felt like a nice little niche car. But I guess that answers my question. Focus groups. God, do I ever hate focus tested things. It's why cars keep getting bigger, fatter, and softer. I wish all cars would hop on board with the new miata's train of thought: modern materials can make a LIGHTER car, and the new mx5 is all of 90lbs heavier than the original 1.6 while sporting all the safety and toys you'd expect.

Sorry, soapbox rant. I'm really happy for everyone who likes theirs, want to take nothing away from that. At least it still comes with a manual transmission, which is dying in just about every other maker's lineup.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:07 PM
GDGR
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Honeybadgers
Why bother selling a MINI that's the size of a full size car?
It lets those of us who are squarely in the MINI demographic (fun-to-drive, oozes personality, still works for grownups), but for whom buying a car without real back doors and a real back seat would be very selfish, be part of the fold.

And it's the size of a SMALL full-size car. Still aren't too many semi-luxury/semi-sport cars on the market (especially, as you point out, with a manual transmission) that are this small.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:13 PM
perryinva
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no trouble finding small cars. We own an '08 MCCS and a '16 MCC, both automatics. The 2016 may look enormous compared to the '08, but while it is freaking light years ahead in the difference in quality, performance, ride, sound, etc, etc, it's still a smallish fun car. We looked at many other cars, and never looked at the Clubman because we "thought" it would just be a warmed over version of our '08 Clubman. Once driven, it was practically an immediate sale. It is literally the perfect size for us. Not too big, not too small, and with all the features of a Mini that we loved in our other Clubman, and hopefully none of the foibles, which are MANY. And the HK system is REALLY nice. I was shocked. Far, FAR, better than the previous 2nd Gen HK system. You couldn't give me a 2003 Mini, even a JCW. Not everyone wants a tiny pocket rocket, especially when you are over 60. I'm glad you like yours though. Something for everyone.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:13 PM
Honeybadgers
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GDGR
It lets those of us who are squarely in the MINI demographic (fun-to-drive, oozes personality, still works for grownups), but for whom buying a car without real back doors and a real back seat would be very selfish, be part of the fold.

And it's the size of a SMALL full-size car. Still aren't too many semi-luxury/semi-sport cars on the market (especially, as you point out, with a manual transmission) that are this small.
What's the point of the countryman then? Because it's certainly not an off road vehicle of any sort (no the rally car doesn't count!)

Quick Reply: R55 2016 Clubman