R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Engine Shut Off at Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 03:57 PM
sdotbailey
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Shut Off at Light

I haven't been able to find a thread for the Clubman that really matches what I had happen on here or even in just a general web search so I'm going to start a new thread. I'll outline what I have experienced two or three times now.

It always happens in the same way too. I drive to work - Hollywood to Woodland Hills, about 19 miles one way. While I'm driving, everything is all good. When I get off the freeway, the car just shuts down once I get to the light and stop. Nothing else shuts down, the radio, lights, etc. are all still on and working. The engine just cuts out. I can throw it into park and it restarts right up and drives its happy little way down the block to the office.

So, first, WTF?! Second, does anyone have any inkling about what this could be? Am I in the early throes of a dying engine? It's a 2008 Clubman with only 51,500 miles on it. The guy I got it from had it all serviced and stuff from the dealer so I didn't have any reason to be overly concerned when I got it from him. I've stayed up on oil changes and haven't really had any serious issues other than the lower radiator hose getting a hole in it (Oh, that's one hell of a story...) and the thermostat housing going out.

So far, the few searches I have run on this kind of thing haven't been easily resolved. I've seen mention of the fuel injectors being a potential issue if they're dirty. Is it difficult to clean those out on your own? I've never done it. Or, should I just take it to my guys and ask them about it? Would it be worth taking it to Midas out here and having them do their "we'll check your car out for free" thing where they warn you of any potential issues?

Anyway, if anyone can offer anything for me to look into, that'd be great. I'm halfway considering trading it in for a new model (2012 or something) while it runs and can get something for it. The last thing I'd want to do is have something happen that costs 3-4k somehow and the car is worth maybe double that. Stupid cars

Old 06-24-2015, 11:56 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Hello Sdot ,

Did you read the codes , did any pull up ?

All I can think of is the HPFP cutting out. Its mostly a start up thing and stall when the HPF does not work.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-r56-jcw.html

Let me know if you have a CEL code on the dash or can have the engine read through the OBC to read the faults.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-24-2015, 01:45 PM
sdotbailey
1st Gear
Hey there! I am getting my new code reader tomorrow so if there are any codes on there then I'll get them and be able to post them here for additional help. Sure do hope it's not the fuel pump haha I'll post again when I have more information.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:03 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by sdotbailey
Hey there! I am getting my new code reader tomorrow so if there are any codes on there then I'll get them and be able to post them here for additional help. Sure do hope it's not the fuel pump haha I'll post again when I have more information.

Welcome, great. Post it up .

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-24-2015, 07:14 PM
Rodeo Bob
Neutral
Same issue experienced in my 2009 Clubman

I have had the engine cut out under circumstances similar to your own four or five times this year. The engine quits, but no idiot lights go on. Radio, A/C, other functions not affected. I have to put it in park and turn off the ignition. A second later I press the start button and I'm off and running. Weird, disturbing and potentially dangerous. This has happened at intersections and in stop and go traffic on the freeway. I'll be watching this thread with great interest.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:27 PM
sdotbailey
1st Gear
Update: no engine codes to read from either an app connected to my phone or from regular ol' plug and play code reader. So, whatever caused that shutoff didn't trigger anything. But, I do like the idea of the fuel pump being the cause of it. Are there any other signs I could look for that would lend credence to that theory? Something related to acceleration or startup?

Old 07-01-2015, 04:44 AM
Tio Barry
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
On my 2010 Justa automatic. Same problem. After weeks of analysis - under warranty, thank goodness, turned out to be unsufficient current at wire to automatic trans controller at front of trans. Approved MINI fix was solder the deteriorated wiring connection. No more problem last three years.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:54 PM
sdotbailey
1st Gear
Well, some news and it honestly may tie into what Tio Barry says above: engine code P2762 and the label is "Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit Range/Performance." I've been unable to find anything remotely useful about this but a friend of mine who knows cars a bit said that perhaps the transmission fluid is low/bad or something like that. But, with my luck I'm gonna guess that the entire transmission is gonna fall out and then engine is actually filled with gremlins haha Anyway, anyone have anything that I can look into before I end up dropping this thing at the mechanic's?

ETA: I actually recall seeing this code before. Once or twice the CEL has come on and I pulled the code and it was this one but a day or so later, the light just goes off on its own accord. So, there's that.

Last edited by sdotbailey; 07-04-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:54 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
I would check that connection that Tio stated. Stinks you did not get a code.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:00 PM
sdotbailey
1st Gear
If my car had a face I would punch it...

So, the Tuesday I decided to check the oil since I know the car runs hot and burns through oil. (I've read about this but is it really that common and just 'a thing'?) Anyway, I was low so I drove it home and grabbed some oil on the way. I let the car cool for a while and then I went out to fill it up. Did that, started the car, engine light turned off immediately. Seems like my car was trying to warn me it was low on oil but that makes no sense considering the code number and label attached to it. Maybe it's just badly named, who the hell knows. Either way, two days now and not a single light or warning or anything. I'll keep my eyes on it but I guess it's not as serious as I thought. Or my car is lying to me.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:04 PM
grussell
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Take a look at this thread HERE

Old 07-20-2015, 05:56 PM
37hotrod
1st Gear
Mine did the exact same thing. Dealer experienced the same thing. I was told that it is caused by low engine oil levels. Don't really understand the how or why of it, but adding oil cures the problem. Usually happens about 1000 - 2000 miles before the scheduled oil change. Figure that it takes that long for the oil level to drop appreciably.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:15 PM
sdotbailey
1st Gear
Originally Posted by grussell
Take a look at this thread HERE
Thanks, I actually did eventually find that thread. I haven't run into this since I put oil into it but I feel like I got to 'low' oil pretty quickly since the last oil change but who knows.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:16 PM
sdotbailey
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 37hotrod
Mine did the exact same thing. Dealer experienced the same thing. I was told that it is caused by low engine oil levels. Don't really understand the how or why of it, but adding oil cures the problem. Usually happens about 1000 - 2000 miles before the scheduled oil change. Figure that it takes that long for the oil level to drop appreciably.
That's what I'm finding too. If the cars burn through that much oil (seriously, how effing hot is the engine?!) then why are the oil changes scheduled for 5k miles?! I think I may just start doing them at 3k like back in the day haha