R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Major troubles

Old 03-04-2015, 05:33 PM
bad venge
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major troubles

2010 Clubman , 80k miles always runs perfect , wife driving to work , yellow temp light flashed on , wife slowed down light went off and drove rest of the way to work. Checked Coolant , none in tank , Towed to mini dealer.

They call and state freeze plug popped out the cylinder head, destroyed timing guide, needs timing chain tensioner guides overheated and warped head, $4500 if the head can be resurfaced , Add $2800 if It needs a new head

OK the light for the coolant never stayed on , despite the freeze plug causing the entire coolant level to leave the car ? How can this be ?
I questioned the tech, how can the head be warped ? he says it might not be but it's easier for them to install the freeze plug with the head removed
Anyone else experience something like this ?

Old 03-04-2015, 07:13 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
When all the coolant leaves the engine block, there is nothing for the coolant temperature sensor to read, therefore the light goes out.

Shop for a used engine, perhaps.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:45 PM
daddyandmadi
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This happened to me. Intermittent red light shop couldn't duplicate. I had a warped head and a leak in cylinder head. Had coolant in tank. Puzzled 3 shops for 3 weeks. Cost was over $3500 but my shop had pushed it through insurance following a repair after hitting a coyote. I wasn't convinced it was related, but I wasn't going to complain on saving the money. I need more gauges like most cars.....

Old 03-05-2015, 08:07 PM
bad venge
4th Gear
Yes I've gotten a different story from everyone I've talked to at the dealership. First one stated heads warped , when I questioned how can you tell the heads warped without removing the head he then backpedaled and says well it normally warps but it's easier to replace the freeze plug with the head off. I ask to speak to the tech , he tell me he ran a compression check and all cylinders were 190+ so to me that sounds like the head would be fine, so I question can't you replace the timing chain and components and try the motor ? Well we could but it's hard to replace the freeze plug with the head in , and it could pop back out and you'll be out the $$$ . I still can not believe that the car can lose all coolant and still have no warning light on the dash.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:10 PM
bad venge
4th Gear
Well after a total distrust at the mini dealer I removed the car and took to a trusted shop , guess what they found , Yes freeze plug had popped out , NO DAMAGE to timing gears chains tensioners or guides , Looks like flush motor refill and drive away