R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Suspension Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

Old 02-28-2015, 07:19 PM
ofminisandmen
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

Hello All,
New to the site and I've recently become the new owner of a 2011 Clubman S with stock suspension. I would like to improve the handling, reduce body roll, and have a little more confidence when pushing the car through the turns - so would like to upgrade the suspension. After reading every suspension related post I could find on this site, I've decided to go with the Bilstein HD shocks. It was a tough to decide vs. the Koni FSDs but I thought I wanted a little sportier feel. I had previously run with the Koni FSDs on a 328i, and I would say they were a big improvement from non-sport stock but were still on the plush side with stock springs. I am not interested in significantly lowering the car, so I decided against the Koni and Bilstein Sports meant for that application.

Anyway, this leads me to the springs which I should change at the same time if I am going to. My choices are narrowed down to the following:
1) run the stock non-sport springs with the Bilstein HDs
2) switch to sport springs (stock sport?) which do not change ride height
3) switch to JCW (red) springs ordered for my VIN which may lower the car approx. 1/2", which would be fine with me - I don't think I want any more than that.

I am leaning to option 3. The car is a daily driver, no plans for the track or autocross. I am happy with firm suspension but do not want to go too far. Had a 2007 3 series wagon with sport package and run flats that handled great, but wouldn't want any stiffer I don't think. I have a 2003 Boxster S also, it has an amazingly compliant stock suspension with while maintaining exceptional handling. So there are my references. Any comments from this of you that have upgraded or done anything similar to what I want to do? Thanks for any additional input!

Old 03-03-2015, 08:08 PM
kmac17
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2012 on stock suspension with 60k on the clock. I'm also looking to upgrade the suspension this spring. My daily commute is on Chicago roads so I'm thinking the Koni FSD's would be perfect for me. I would think a mini would significantly lighter than a 328i and have a different base setup as well. I don't want to deal with a lowered car in winter conditions, so I'll probably stick with the stock springs. Maybe I would invest in the JCW springs. A larger rear sway bar, new bump stops and some non-run flat tires on lighter wheels would complete the package.

Everyone says the run-flats are way to stiff in the side wall and way too heavy. So any ride comparisons are moot if you stick with the run flats.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:59 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
The best bang for the buck is a heavy rear sway bar and KONI FSD struts.
Check with Way Motor Works. They've got KONI struts on sale and also have a good selection of RSBs. They guy is very helpful in answering questions too. Use the PM function.
Hint: Get the stuff all together and install everything at the same time. Saves some duplication of effort on the rear member.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:20 PM
ofminisandmen
Neutral
Thanks for you comments. I'm already committed to Bilstein HD shocks, they are on the way. I guess the question is: What springs will pair best with these that lower slightly or not at all?

My previous experience with Koni FSDs on a 3 series was positive, but just a little on the "plush" side and a little bit of a compromise in aggressive cornering in street driving.

Do you suggest the RSB regardless of what springs I end up with?

Old 03-04-2015, 08:55 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Absolutely a RSB. Either a 19 or 22MM adjustable. You won't believe how quickly the steering responds and how stable you'll feel on the twisties.
Just be sure to have both rear wheels off the ground if you decide to change settings after you've driven it a while.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
From what research I have done, option 3 isn't an option because they weren't made for the car. The JCW Clubmans came with the "sport" suspension option, which is your option 2, and in my opinion, the best option out of the three.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:02 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Definitely upgrade the RSB with aftermarket at the same time as the shocks and struts. All of the aftermarket bars have multiple holes for adjusting the rear roll stiffness. Adjustment is a nice thing to have, as you can tune the car to your driving style and preference.

You should be fine sticking with the stock springs. Anything significantly stiffer will likely be a lowering spring, and you indicated your preference to stay near stock ride height.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 03-05-2015, 07:13 PM
ofminisandmen
Neutral
OK, I'll plan to do the RSB with the shocks. Any suggestions on which aftermarket supplier is preferred?

Sounds like the last question I have to answer is should I seek out the Sport Springs specific for the Clubman or just go with my existing standard stock springs? Both maintaining stock ride height.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:24 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by ofminisandmen
OK, I'll plan to do the RSB with the shocks. Any suggestions on which aftermarket supplier is preferred?

Sounds like the last question I have to answer is should I seek out the Sport Springs specific for the Clubman or just go with my existing standard stock springs? Both maintaining stock ride height.
The Hsport Comp sway bar is by far the best option.

For springs I wouldn't do anything till you install the sway bar and see how you like that setup. Then later decide on how much spring you want.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-06-2015, 07:36 AM
ofminisandmen
Neutral
Thanks for the advice. I checked out the Hsport bar and saw there were 3 or 4 other versions by different manufacturers. Why do you prefer the Hsport version and how does it compare to the others. I assume part of it is the hollow bar, so less weight?

Old 03-06-2015, 08:00 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
You'll probably get a quicker reply if you PM him or just go to his web site and use the contact function.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:30 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Yep, the H-Sport rear bar is the industry standard, really because of quality, ease of installation and durability. One note, regardless of the brand you use, you will need to lube the bushings every year or so, or else you'll develop quite a clatter. For those who have already developed that clatter (especially us north easterners who deal with lots of road debris), we do have replacement bushing kits.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:56 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by ofminisandmen
Thanks for the advice. I checked out the Hsport bar and saw there were 3 or 4 other versions by different manufacturers. Why do you prefer the Hsport version and how does it compare to the others. I assume part of it is the hollow bar, so less weight?
There are only two version of Hsport bars:
19mm Bar
http://www.waymotorworks.com/h-sport...-bar-19mm.html

and
Hsport Comp Bar (22mm solid equivalant)

Then for other brands we offer:
19mm TSW sway bar
http://www.waymotorworks.com/tsw-rea...-bar-19mm.html

NM solid 22mm Sway bar
http://www.waymotorworks.com/nm-adju...-sway-bar.html

and a few others we carry aren't even worth mentioning.

Feel free to read our descriptions about each on the site, and we also have reviews under the description from users of them. That will likely answer all the questions you have.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
and a few others we carry aren't even worth mentioning.
...which raises the obvious question but best asked and answered over a good craft brew so we'll leave it there.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:18 PM
ofminisandmen
Neutral
Alright, I'm back. I've ordered the H-sport RSB to pair with my Bilstein HD shocks. I guess I am going to stick with the stock springs for now based on Way's recommendation. Anyone have other thoughts? As stated I want minimal lowering e.g. 1/2" ideally.

I read somewhere online I might actually get a slightly higher ride height with the Bilsteins, is this true?