R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 New Clubman Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 10:11 AM
JohnDoe11
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Clubman Owner

3 days ago I got a 2011 Clubman S with 30k miles.

I have always loved Minis and it's been a few months of saving up and my older car kicking the bucket before I bought one.

Wanted to know if there's anything I should be keeping an eye on or anything I should be concerned about the Clubman S.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:44 AM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There are many threads on the earlier engines with Timing Chain issues and timing chain tensioner issues. Direct Injection Engines with very hard carbon build-up on the intake valves, requiring Walnut Shell Media Blasting from time to time to get those stubborn valve deposits and intake deposits off.
I'm way too new to MINI's to offer much more than that.
I added a center armrest to my Clubman and rear cupholders to our Countryman. And aligned my Clubman at work last week. Enjoy your MINI....

Old 02-25-2015, 12:25 PM
JohnDoe11
2nd Gear
Thankfully I got the extended warranty on the car so at least I know I'm covered if it comes down to it. I was just curious and thank you!
It's been a huge change from a Mazda 6 to a Mini and I'm loving it!

Old 02-28-2015, 09:20 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDoe11
3 days ago I got a 2011 Clubman S with 30k miles.

I have always loved Minis and it's been a few months of saving up and my older car kicking the bucket before I bought one.

Wanted to know if there's anything I should be keeping an eye on or anything I should be concerned about the Clubman S.
Pure Red mentioned the potential for carbon build-up on the valves; your Clubman has the updated N18 engine with a somewhat different crankcase venting setup that is reportedly more resistant than its predecessor, the N14. Still, keep an eye out for signs of buildup (rough idle, slightly decreased power and smoothness, inexplicable poor mileage).

Do check the oil regularly. The full synthetic oil recommended by MINI will remains in good condition for a long time, but turbo MINIs tend to start consuming oil as the engines age.

BMW considers 1 liter per 1000mi to be acceptable consumption. Now, consider that they recommend 10,000mi oil changes, and that the engine starts out with less than 5 liters of oil in it… you can see that the math does't add up!

So, check your oil level every thousand miles. As the miles mount, you may find you need to check even more often.

Okay, scared yet? ;-)

Enjoy your new Clubman!

Old 02-28-2015, 01:10 PM
JohnDoe11
2nd Gear
Haha nope not scared yet. Even thought I did have a small issue with the car which was the dealers fault, they didn't screw in the intake so it came off and was causing the engine to rev uncontrollably. Went home and fixed it.

I also already know about the carbon build up issue but I'll be opening her up quite often to prevent that from happening.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:44 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Haha nope not scared yet. Even thought I did have a small issue with the car which was the dealers fault, they didn't screw in the intake so it came off and was causing the engine to rev uncontrollably. Went home and fixed it.
That's almost comical.

I also already know about the carbon build up issue but I'll be opening her up quite often to prevent that from happening.
Keep an eye anyway. N14 owners have found that even regular use of the classic "Italian Tune-up" doesn't keep it away; the N18 only has a few years of data.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:55 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Despite its "quirks" they are great driving cars. Have fun! Enjoy being a standout in traffic.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:34 PM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have direct fuel injection, 'opening it up' won't change the build-up since the injectors don't spray the backs of the intake valves or the area inside the manifold runners like an older, ported system.
Instead, you get carbon build-up that needs some attention at varying mileage depending on a few factors or just plain dumb luck for some MINI owners.
BMW began once again using walnut shell blasting a few years ago along with some other car manfu's. as a way of dealing with the build-up while the vehicle was still in warranty.
What's a bit funny about all of this is that they previously had to do this in the late 80's for build-up in the ported fuel systems for their 2 Six cyl. engines[ M20 and M30], also under warranty or sometimes a bit out of warranty.
I did a couple of intake pull-offs back then to blast the backs of the intake valves with BMWs fairly complete blasting kit. I joined BMW in 1990 as a tech, so I missed the bulk of the Walnut Blasting years back then.
Little did I know that years later I'm possibly going to be blasting my own intake valves if needed on our two MINIs.....

Old 03-02-2015, 02:04 PM
Gary Lajeunesse
Neutral

Put in an Oil Catch can and that will help. Also check out BRRacing's Mini R56 Track Attack project car.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:38 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Gary Lajeunesse
Put in an Oil Catch can and that will help.
According to a new guy to the forums (Tuner Boost), if you don't do it right you will accelerate the internal corrosion of your engine. You must maintain positive pressure in the crankcase, and this requires an OCC with two valves, one active on turbo boost, the other on non-boost (vacuum pressure). Most of the ones in use on our MINIs on NAM aren't this style.

Worth catching up with this thread:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...uestion-4.html