R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 AEM (21-721C) Cold Air Intake System

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 04:42 PM
NTX Clubman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigblue07109
Would the AEM CAI be the best brand to use?
It is up to you. Yes there better built ones out there (all aluminum). But it also comes down to bang for the buck. All in all it probably provides the same increase in air flow, it is all about if you think the scoop affects the induction temperature enough to justify the cost.

Now if you plan to flash the ECU to gain more HP then a low restriction intake (notice how I didn't say cold air intake) is probably a must. Along with a low restriction exhaust. IMHO

Old 01-22-2015, 12:19 PM
R55&R60_N18
1st Gear
Well, I ended up buying a scoop grill from Way Motors since my project didn't work out as I had planned it LOL

Anyways, I just installed a Milltek non-res exhaust on my R55 and along with a new Drive Belt and I am AMAZED at how great it compliments my CAI. Just the sound and deep tone of the system was exactly what I was aiming for. I will make another thread with details and sounds/pics of it sometime this weekend.

On a side note I had ordered a set of Spark Plugs from Way as well and at 1st I was going to sell them here since I thought my tech shop was going to do a tune with a set of different plugs but my tech shop suggested I install an Inter-cooler 1st before the tune so now I will be putting in those plugs. Glad I didn't sell them.

If you are looking to add an exhaust system to compliment this AEM 21-721C CAI , I highly recommend Milltek.

Quick Shout out to Luis and his Team over at Precision Auto Werks in Miami who suggested the Milltek exhaust system and provided the installation.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:22 PM
NTX Clubman
1st Gear
I do think the CAI and the new exhaust together DO make a difference overall.

My Clubman S needed a software update so they gave be another Clubman S as a loaner while they reprogrammed it. (Bad news if you have a modded ECU) As soon as I started driving the loaner I noticed a lack of low and midrange power compared to mine.

Independently I only "thought" there was an increase with the mods, now after driving the same car without them, I can say there is a noticeable difference. As soon as I got mine back the difference was still there, so the ECU wasn't doing any magic.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:04 PM
donniedarko
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im on the fence with getting one of these. A guy I consider bit of an authority said they rattle? Any comments on this? TIA

Old 01-27-2015, 04:01 PM
NTX Clubman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by donniedarko
Im on the fence with getting one of these. A guy I consider bit of an authority said they rattle? Any comments on this? TIA
The only thing I can think of that could potentially rattle with this kit would be the scoop ductwork itself. It is attached to the underside of the hood with press in plastic fasteners that might loosen over time due to heat exposure. I put a small bit of black silicone adhesive where the ductwork touched the underside of the hood. When dry, this provided enough of a grip to give additional holding power to the fastener, yet still be removed if needed.

You can't even see the adhesive, but the ductwork is very secure.

If you look at my images you will see the four tabs that stick out of the sides of the ductwork. Those are the mounting points where the silicone is under.

I used very little silicone, so only get what you need.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:58 AM
broncobuddha
3rd Gear
The other day, I finally decided, for now, to run the K&N RE-0910 filter with a simple elbow and couplers.

Using a 90* elbow doesn't allow the filter to sit properly in the lower factory intake box which bothers me but for now it's fine.

First impressions are that it feels a little peppier but that could simply be the simple switching from a somewhat dirty (not filthy) air filter to a clean one.

As far as sound, which is less of a concern to me, the intake and diverter/blow off noise is now noticeable to me where it wasn't before.

For the money, I'm happy with the setup.