R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Mini Certified Clubman already needs brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 08:28 PM
StillK
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mini Certified Clubman already needs brakes

I bought a 2011 Mini certified Clubman from the same saleswomen that I bought my last 4 Minis from. Four months and 6000 miles later it needs new brakes - almost $900. I think this is BS - I commute 40 miles on rural roads no stop and go. I find it hard to believe that the brakes would have passed when originally inspected when I bought the car or they must have been pretty damn close. The dealer offers no help -the saleswomen says it is out of her hands. I will of course not have the work done by the dealer. So much for treatment of a good customer

Old 09-14-2014, 08:56 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by StillK
I bought a 2011 Mini certified Clubman from the same saleswomen that I bought my last 4 Minis from. Four months and 6000 miles later it needs new brakes - almost $900. I think this is BS - I commute 40 miles on rural roads no stop and go. I find it hard to believe that the brakes would have passed when originally inspected when I bought the car or they must have been pretty damn close. The dealer offers no help -the saleswomen says it is out of her hands. I will of course not have the work done by the dealer. So much for treatment of a good customer
Just because the car was sold certified, doesn't mean the brakes were brand new at time of sale. They just happened to pass their minimum allowed thickness before hitting the lot.

You should've inquired as to the condition of the brakes, or had a PPI done, before driving away in the car.

FWIW, I just replaced all 4 sets of pads and rotors on my fiancee's base R56 2 weeks ago; she bought it certified with 20k, she got an additional 25k out of the pads and rotors after buying it.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:50 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd say whoever inspected your MINI dropped the ball. The brakes are not hard to do if you want to DIY them. $900 is plain crazy.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:07 PM
aggst1
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that another person that dropped the ball is your trusty saleswoman. Even if they are right saying that you should have no expectations that consumables (brakes, tires, etc) will be new on a CPO vehicle, she should have done something for you. I mean, after buying four cars from her she should have asked her mgmt for a X% discount as a goodwill gesture to a repeat customer. That's the kind of dealership I value, and not only for the savings. It's the gesture.

My dealer has done this by providing free labor (I paid for the part- not brakes) and I ve been a repeat customer ever since.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:33 PM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hear you and understand your frustration BUT

Cert pre owned does not equal a new car. A lot of people have that thought that every component is replaced with new components both wear and trim etc etc.

CPO means that the car has been checked throughout to a certain guideline. Past due service done. Recalls done. Sib's done if applicable. Inspected for frame damage and appropriate body repair if necessary. ( not frame, if frame is damaged or been repaired prior it's not a CPO car. But not preventative maint just because it's close. If I recall brake pads have to be no less than 5 mm to be cpo'd that's 2 mm more than the replacement measurement of 3 mm. And keep in mind that new pads are 9 or 10 mm.

Did the warning come on that said you needed brakes or did someone say you needed brakes .? Just curious.

I agree with prior post. That close to purchasing they should have made some sort of discount to help a customer.

Just my .02.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 09-15-2014, 07:52 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 756 Likes on 618 Posts
When the pads are removed you need to measure them. I can't remember what the spec is on the new cars to be CPO, but I remember that they needed to be pretty thick. So going through them in 6k does seem pretty quick. If you can find what the spec was when they did the CPO, which is written on the CPO form and then what it measures out at now you may have a good argument. Otherwise you'll have to take the opportunity to go with some low dust EBC pads.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-22-2014, 04:56 PM
hamptup
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's a 2011 so it's used but did I miss where you stated miles on the car prior to ownership?