R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Where is the control unit RDC located?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 10:29 AM
corcorand
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is the control unit RDC located?

Ok, I looked in the search engine but did not find the correct answer. My 2011 clubbie was missing the control unit RDC. I ordered the part but I have no clue where it mounts. I have peeked behind the left (driver side) trim panel but the only harness plug I see there is for the aux 12 volt outlet. I can also see the manual release for the fuel filler flap but I don't see a harness plug for the control unit.
I have also looked behind the trim panel on the right side but don't see a harness plug there either. I don't want to completely remove a trim panel if I am not in the right place. Where is the location for the control unit RDC on a Clubman?

Old 09-10-2014, 03:23 PM
corcorand
1st Gear
Never mind, it is located under the rear bumper in the center.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:28 PM
corcorand
1st Gear
so now that I have the control unit RDC mounted and plugged in, I still see the error light for the TPMS and am unable to reset the system (reads "inactive"). dealership told me that I have to plug in to their diagnostic system to activate the system. Can anyone confirm that is the truth?

Old 09-10-2014, 09:58 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
If the car was orginally produced without the RDC module, then the coding was never supplied for the vehicle's body control modules.
Yes, a coding change would be required activate the system.

- Erik

Old 10-06-2014, 10:26 AM
corcorand
1st Gear
Help, I took my car to the Mini dealer and they were unable to program/activate the new RDC control unit after an hour and a half worth of attempts and $125 fee. They are telling me the part must be defective ( it was purchased new and is the genuine, correct part). They also said these units can only be programmed one time and that once programmed to a car they cannot ever be programmed again ( such as when trying to place a used part in another vehicle which is not the case here). I'm thinking maybe they botched the procedure and sent me on my way after emptying my wallet. Does anyone know what the programming procedure is at the dealer? All I know for sure is I'm out $93 for the part plus the $125 at the dealer and my TPMS light is still on .

Old 10-06-2014, 08:34 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by corcorand
Help, I took my car to the Mini dealer and they were unable to program/activate the new RDC control unit after an hour and a half worth of attempts and $125 fee.
On what grounds did they say it couldn't been programmed?

The RDC module itself is in the boot (trunk) on the left side, if you pull off that panel and look towards the front of the car you will see a white box; that's the RDC module.

They are telling me the part must be defective ( it was purchased new and is the genuine, correct part).
What specific part number did you buy? And from where?

Does anyone know what the programming procedure is at the dealer?
Hopefully a dealer-tech will chime on this to assist.

- Erik

Old 10-07-2014, 08:46 AM
corcorand
1st Gear
ordered from Mini Mania and confirmed correct original factory replacement part # 36106795768 . Dealer said " cannot program currently installed RDC module, customer needs to buy new RDC module and have it programmed , unable to communicate with existing RDC".
Mini Mania Tech Support said it is possible part is defective and accepted return and shipped another part same day. Said they will test returned part. Personally I don't believe part is defective. It is a sealed unit with one pig tail plug in.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:07 PM
corcorand
1st Gear
programming new control unit RDC

OK can some dealer tech lurking here respond to my earlier post on this topic?

Old 10-20-2014, 01:24 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
First I didn't think they ever came without a TPMS ? So I would ask why it was removed ? Are you original owner ? Maybe it was removed for a reason ? And I checked several places I know who sell real MINI OEM all list that for $160 . Maybe it was returned before or ?? Do you have TPMS inside each wheel ? Pretty obvious, they are metal valve stems.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:03 PM
corcorand
1st Gear
My car had a light hit in the rear and a salvage title when I bought it. My guess is the original fell off in the accident. The part I ordered is genuine Mini. I just need a dealer tech to verify the programming procedure. Mini Mania sent me another so I'm all set but I'm taking the part to the dealer unopened.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Blind Dog Daddy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rckrzy1
First I didn't think they ever came without a TPMS ? So I would ask why it was removed ? Are you original owner ? Maybe it was removed for a reason ? And I checked several places I know who sell real MINI OEM all list that for $160 . Maybe it was returned before or ?? Do you have TPMS inside each wheel ? Pretty obvious, they are metal valve stems.

I remember having the inactive display on some new cars. I found the factory had not switched off/on something at the factory. If that was the case, seems like that would have already been repaired early on.
It did require MINI test equipment to fix it but programming was not necessary.
The antenna/module on LCI cars does not require programming, so that's not the problem.
You say it was used and had been hit in the rear? I would look closely at wiring, especially in the rear.
There is also two versions of wheel sensors and they have to be correct for car. This car may have had a wheel swap with an earlier car, 2010 or earlier.
Both 2008-2010 and LCI, (2011- 2014) have metal valve stems and look the same from the outside.

My two cents!

Old 10-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Blind Dog Daddy
2nd Gear
I cannot remember if system goes "inactive" after it cannot see all the wheels.
Most times it turns out to be a wheel sensor or sensors. They are easily damaged by tire machines and also have a shelf life with no replaceable batteries.
If you have another set of wheels with known good sensors, that would be the next step. Swap wheel set, verify even pressures, reset light and test drive. Should reset within a mile. New cars reset sooner than that.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:11 PM
enos
1st Gear
Help, I took my car to the Mini dealer and they were unable to program/activate the new RDC control unit after an hour and a half worth of attempts and $125 fee. They are telling me the part must be defective ( it was purchased new and is the genuine, correct part). They also said these units can only be programmed one time and that once programmed to a car they cannot ever be programmed again ( such as when trying to place a used part in another vehicle which is not the case here). I'm thinking maybe they botched the procedure and sent me on my way after emptying my wallet. Does anyone know what the programming procedure is at the dealer? All I know for sure is I'm out $93 for the part plus the $125 at the dealer and my TPMS light is still on .

Get your money back. Then say what you really think.