R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Click/Creak sound from wheel well

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 12:52 PM
bdunni
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Click/Creak sound from wheel well

Hello All,

I have a 2009 JCW Clubman with a sport suspension and about 61,000 miles on it. For the past few weeks I've noticed this creaking/clicking sound coming from the driver's side wheel well when I initially accelerate or when the momentum changes to braking. The noise only happens once per change of momentum. I brought it to my local shop and they couldn't find anything that was loose or looked like it was awry. They recommended driving it till it got worse so it would be easier to figure out down the line.

Here's some info that may help:

1. It's not a rock in the tire, the noise only happens once when the momentum of the car shifts laterally

2. The noise does not happen when going over a pothole or driving over a speed bump (aka, it's the back and forth motion of the car, not the up and down, that is causing the issue)

3. I tried the axle nut suggested fix laid out in other threads and that didn't help.

4. The creak doesn't happen every time I hit the gas pedal (ie: If I'm on the highway and let off the gas and then step on it again, that would not cause the sound, ruling out and sort of driveshaft issue that I've seen in other threads)

I've been googling for weeks and have yet to come across anything that has helped. Maybe the collective mind here has a suggested fix?

Thanks for your time!

Old 07-27-2014, 10:22 AM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Do you have the stock rubber sway bar bushings? The aftermarket poly sway bar bushing can creak if you don't keep them greased.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:50 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
It could be the sway bar endlinks. May sure that they are tight. The stock ones are prone to failure.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:17 AM
bdunni
Neutral
@Big Jim, I believe they are the stock bushings but I just got the car so I'll have to double check

@cerenkov I'll have take a look at the sway bar endlinks.

Thanks for the leads!

Old 07-28-2014, 11:40 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Have you had the control arm bushings replaced? That's a common failure item that could cause squeaking I guess. I'd agree with the shop though you probably have to drive it more.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:54 AM
bdunni
Neutral
I'm bringing the car in today to get the high pressure fuel pump replaced because that decided to retire, so I'll propose these ideas to the mechanic. It'll be a few days before they get to my car so if anyone else has any ideas I can pass along that would be great.

I'll be sure to follow up in the event that they find the source of the noise.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:45 AM
bdunni
Neutral
Quick update:

I brought the car in to have the high pressure fuel pump replaced. While it was there the MINI master tech tried to find the source of the creaking sound but came up empty handed. He re-torqued just about everything he could think of and nothing helped. They said they could continue to search for the problem but it would cost $130/hr., so I declined. I'm going to have my local mechanic take a look at the bushings.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:56 AM
EuroTechsAZ
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OEM brake pads? we have seen aftermarket (cheap not performance) pads that don't fit properly into the caliper and they click back and forth. Sometimes you get the rare occasion where a DIY'er leaves the caliper slide inserts out too.