R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Alarm and Remote Start Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 08:12 PM
Mando421
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alarm and Remote Start Question

Hello NAM!!

First post but wanted to first thank the entire community for the wealth of information that is shared on here. It's a great resource, glad to be a member of the Mini family.

A bit of background: I have a 2009 MCS Clubman. I am going to have a Viper alarm and remote start system installed in my Mini and it does have Comfort Access. For the remote start system to function I need to have a Directed Electronics 556uw universal bypass module installed as well which requires a key for it to function and start the vehicle.

Now the question: I am wondering if anyone has successfully had such a system installed in their Mini? Also, I hate to have to give up one of my keys, does anyone know if the key that is put into the 556uw has to have comfort access enabled since the car has Comfort Access or can it be a key that does not have/work with Comfort Access? Can there be 2 Comfort Access keys programmed to the vehicle and a third that can start the vehicle but does not have comfort access making it a total of three keys programmed with the vehicle?

I am thinking I could possibly buy a key on eBay or somewhere else, program it to start my Mini and then use that in the 556uw. From what I've read the FOB is what stores the information to start the engine and not the physical key so I also wouldn't need the key to be cut to my vehicle.

By going this route (if it is possible) I should be able to program the key myself to start the vehicle hence avoiding having to get a really expensive key from the dealer and/or having to pay for them to program the key to my vehicle for comfort access.

Anybody have any advice or feedback with any of this?

Thanks!

Old 11-18-2014, 12:07 PM
ronaldjallen
Neutral
yes but you need an additional part which is not available from the company.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:20 PM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
Since the process to order an additional fob is pricey and dealer-involved, wouldn't you need to do the same thing in order to do what you're thinking of doing?

EDIT: Just kidding, re-read your post. since you'll have the bypass module, I guess you wouldn't have to have the dealership program one. I see what you meant by programming it yourself now. Theoretically... you'd think it would work...? Have you tried searching online to see if anyone else has successfully pulled this off, and not just here on NAM?

Old 11-22-2014, 09:28 PM
daddyandmadi
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have heard this is possible but expensive. I know Ryan at 12 Volt Wizard http://www.12voltwizard.com/home/ in Edmonton does this. And he drives a MINI. He'll be able to answer a question if you drop him a line.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:15 PM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Search BM1 iDatastart remote starter. Its a fully plug and play remote starter system that works off the OEM remote fob or and add on aftermarket fob for extended range or an phone app.

General price is around $750 for the parts its self or around $1,000 installed. It usues a module that you have to code to the cars key I believe so that you don't need a spare key.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:13 AM
finfin
1st Gear
I sold my Countryman, but kept the remote starter. Anyone interested ?