R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 How to manually open barn doors

Old 03-16-2013, 03:18 PM
houlster
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
How to manually open barn / split doors (SOLVED)

Anybody know how? Mine quit popping open. The motor just whines. Sounds like the same issue as here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-pop-open.html

But, I cannot get the door open. I've tried pulling the boot out of the way to see a little. I've pulled the panel away from the door too so I can kinda see in behind it a little. But I cannot get the latch to release.

It won't just pry open. Any idea how to trip the release?

thx
--Dan

(Updated: Figured it out. Pics in posts 9 & 10)

Last edited by houlster; 04-11-2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Updated title
Old 03-18-2013, 05:01 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't have an answer, sorry, but I personally think there should be a manual release escape handle... but there isn't.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:32 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
I just saw a post in the Standard Issues and Problems (or something like that) thread showing that there is a release cable under the rear seat for the R56.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:42 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear

This is from a 2008 R56 owner's manual, as seen here. I haven't seen a corresponding page in the R55 manual, but I intend to pull up my rear seat and look (someday).

Old 03-23-2013, 11:31 AM
houlster
1st Gear
Yeah, thanks. Just looked. No release . I cannot frikin believe they did not put in a manual backup to open these doors.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:22 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by houlster
Yeah, thanks. Just looked. No release . I cannot frikin believe they did not put in a manual backup to open these doors.
Nor I. I am even more incredulous now that I see the hardtop has an escape handle. Although, if my car is sinking nose-first in quicksand, not sure I'd remember to remove the rear seat cushion to prepare for escape.

Come to think of it, maybe the Motoring Advisors at MINI dealerships should do a demonstration like airline steward/stewardesses do prior to take-off.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:26 PM
OreoSAll4
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What exactly stopped working? Just the "pop out" feature when you hold the 3rd button on the keyfob? Does the barn doors still unlock? I can open mine with the buttons from outside of the door after pressing the 2nd button on the keyfob. yours might be set differently though, but it should still unlock after unlocking the passenger door. maybe press unlock twice then the button behind the handle of the passengerside barn door. see if that works.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:00 PM
houlster
1st Gear
The unlock motor is broke. It won't unlock so I can't open them. I can hear the motor whirring when I try to unlock, but nothing else.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:29 PM
houlster
1st Gear
Ok, so I finally got a new motor ordered. Once I had the new one in hand, I could see there is a spot for a cable to attach for a manual release.

Knowing what and where it was I was able to pull the inside panel off the door and pull it out enough to reach in behind and get to the latch to get it to release. I used a punch, but a long reach, skinny flat tip screw driver would probably work best.

You just have to get it onto the release (where the cable would go if there was one ) and push it towards the back and it'll release. Once I knew exactly what I was looking for it only took a couple minutes of poking around to trip it. Then the motor is 2 screws & about 90 sec to change .

These pics show the release and where you have to catch it with a screw driver / punch:

Attached Thumbnails How to manually open barn doors-2013-04-10-14.22.38.jpg   How to manually open barn doors-2013-04-10-14.23.04.jpg  
Old 04-11-2013, 01:30 PM
houlster
1st Gear
And a view as installed in the door. This is the part you have to do by feel reaching in behind the door cover. Come in through the top. You can kinda sorta see a little bit down from the top, but it's mostly by feel.

--Dan

Attached Thumbnails How to manually open barn doors-2013-04-10-14.20.13.jpg   How to manually open barn doors-2013-04-10-14.21.11.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
CoolHands (09-28-2021)
Old 06-14-2013, 06:13 AM
hamsill
Neutral
Thank you Mr. Houlster! My electric latch also failed, however mine was in the drivers side Boot/Back/Barn door. I have been trying to figure out how to get the door open for days and had committed to cutting the striker. Thankfully I didn't have to but what a Pain in the ***.

I'll post photos of the location of the drivers side latch and how to get to it later.
Thanks again

Old 06-14-2013, 08:14 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
#3 is the driver side ( left rear ) lock mechanism. 51247167498

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51247167498/

&

#1 Right rear lock. 51492754459

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51492754459/

You might have to go through the trunk from the inside and try lifting up the lower trim sill to expose the lock mechanism? Or from the right barn door open to the sill.

#7 in picture.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 12-22-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:23 PM
hamsill
Neutral
Great images from the manual. Yup #3 broke and is very difficult to get at. I ended up breaking the sill trim a little but there really is no other way to get the latch open. its just a small break to allow the striker (4) through.How to manually open barn doors-img_0406-640x480-.jpg

The sill panel has four pins that are fairly easy to remove. Once they are out just give it a good pull and it should come free. How to manually open barn doors-img_0408-640x480-.jpg

Once that is out of the way, it is possible to get to the latch. It was easier for me to take the screws out and then I was able to pull the latch to one side and jam a flat blade screw driver into the latch and pop the latch open. the latch is on the drivers side and very difficult to get to. Once the door is open it's not too bad. I'm waiting on new parts but I figure I should have the whole thing back together in 30 minutes or so.

Attached Thumbnails How to manually open barn doors-img_0409-640x480-.jpg  

Last edited by hamsill; 06-14-2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Missed a detail
Old 06-24-2013, 10:30 AM
houlster
1st Gear
I'm half tempted now to take mine out and put a short cable on it (or maybe both latches) somewhere I can reach it if/when the other one craps out.

--Dan

Old 11-18-2013, 09:16 PM
chefghryll
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much was the lock mechanism and can you get it from somewhere else then Mini? I was told the door panel gets trashed and you have to end up replacing it. Fact or fiction?

Old 11-26-2013, 12:23 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Don' t know about the door panel being damaged, but the parts are above in post #12 and available from MINI as a genuine part at this time.

I guess you are talking about #1 on the door?

Thanks

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-02-2013, 08:55 PM
thisshouldwork
1st Gear
Mine driver side just stopped working also, but no wine or motor running sound. I happened to notice two drops of what looked like oil on the door sill, #7 above and can see the same fluid along the inside of the driver’s side door paneling. I assumed this was the latch #3 but now as I re-read the thread could it be the handle? I don’t know what would have oily fluid that would leak? I’ll have to try and pull the inside paneling off to have a better look once I manually get the door open.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:20 PM
e.pie
1st Gear
Ok, so I finally got a new motor ordered. Once I had the new one in hand, I could see there is a spot for a cable to attach for a manual release.

Knowing what and where it was I was able to pull the inside panel off the door and pull it out enough to reach in behind and get to the latch to get it to release. I used a punch, but a long reach, skinny flat tip screw driver would probably work best.

You just have to get it onto the release (where the cable would go if there was one ) and push it towards the back and it'll release. Once I knew exactly what I was looking for it only took a couple minutes of poking around to trip it. Then the motor is 2 screws & about 90 sec to change .

These pics show the release and where you have to catch it with a screw driver / punch:
Just did this and cut the door panel so when (not if, thanks mini ) it happens again I'll be able to pop the panel off all the way with the door closed.

Also I would highly highly recommend replacing the driver side latch when the passenger side ones fails, even if it's still functional. Taking a good look at the driver side I don't know how you would be able to do something like this on the drivers side latch, even if you had the passenger door open. The passenger side should fail before the driver side simply because it is used more often. Depending on how often you open both doors, there's really no telling how soon after the driver side would fail after the passenger side.

Picture of the cut panel:
How to manually open barn doors-bqpoapn.jpg

Old 01-07-2014, 02:11 PM
thisshouldwork
1st Gear
Coincidently the left latch stopped working after installing a new battery. That is another story but I tried the battery disconnect for a few minutes and re-connect trick and that got it working again. I went ahead and replaced both left and right side so I wouldn’t have to deal with a potential failed latch. They are not very expensive and it was fairly easy to do.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:15 PM
jli0022
Neutral
hi guys,

my right barn door lock failed to engage. I have ordered the part but I have no idea how to take the plastic cover off. Any suggestions. I did managed to take the top part, the plastic covers that goes around the window frame, off. But the bottom one seems firmly attached.

Any pic/video on how would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joseph

--------------------------- Sovled!! --------------
I was just being too whimpy. A little more force finally took the the cover off starting from the top of the cover and "peel" it off.

Thanks guys.

Joseph

Last edited by jli0022; 05-08-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:53 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jli0022
hi guys, my right barn door lock failed to engage. I have ordered the part but I have no idea how to take the plastic cover off. Any suggestions. I did managed to take the top part, the plastic covers that goes around the window frame, off. But the bottom one seems firmly attached. Any pic/video on how would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Joseph
I had mine apart a few weeks back. It just pulls off - that is to say - while in the car - pull it firmly to the front of the car.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:10 PM
jli0022
Neutral
danjreed,

Thank you very much for the reply. I eventually got it off and successfully replaced the lock.

Thanks,
Joseph

Old 05-09-2014, 07:58 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Awesome, glad you were able to get that panel off.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:09 AM
CooperClubman
Neutral
Is this showing the Left (Driver) side rear door lock??

Can someone tell me exactly how to access the LEFT rear door lock please?
I have seen quotes about removing the bottom sill and breaking it slightly. I have seen others talk about removing the trim around the window. Any photos showing how to access would be great! Thanks

Old 08-05-2014, 08:22 PM
hamsill
Neutral
Left rear door release

You do not have to take the cover off the door. the latch is under the door behind the plastic trim panel behind the warning triangle.

Once that sill trim is off you will be able to see the latch. on the outboard side of the latch there is a small release lever. I used a small screw driver and jammed it into it until it released. I removed the mounting screws to get a better look at what I was doing but I dont know if that makes it any easier. I posted some photos of my repair about half way up this thread.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R55 How to manually open barn doors