MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Small oil leak
by u238
0 Replies, 1 Views
New car exhaust
by DougW
5 Replies, 123 Views
Soon to be new Mini owner
7 Replies, 228 Views
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 11:42 AM
4th Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Best Tire Pressure for 215/45-17?

I just install 4 new tires (Conti DWS) in the size of 215/45-17. Wonder what is the best tire pressure I should run to have the best balance of comfort and road feel?

Thanks

MINI Cooper S Clubman
Ordered on 02/27/08, Born on 03/31/08, Pickup on 5/2/08
PW/PW Roof, Black C-Pillar/Hood Stripes, 6-Speed Auto, HID, White Turn Signal, Rear Fog Light, OEM Driving Lights, Wood MFSW, R110 5 Star Pace Wheel with Continental ExtremeContact DWS, HC Lounge Leather, Premium, Convenience and Winter Packages
Old 03-23-2011, 12:00 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
See what like kind owners say, but a some preemptive notes

No doubt you'll get lots of "look at the door sticker" feedback. And, better, look at the manual where they lay it out for all the different Mini bodies in Justa, S and JCW. That's where I looked (I run 225/45 17 on a coupe S with Michelin PS2's).

The other thing to know going in is that manufacturers commonly tweaked their pressure recommendations in the U.S.--typically upward--following the Explorer roll over debacle. If the car you look at--any car--has the now standardized tire pressure sticker on the driver's doorjamb with white background, with black, yellow and red details, it is the post-regulatory regime change recommendation (the new regs also standardized the sticker itself and its location). So, why does all this matter? Well, in general the manufacturers moved toward a safety margin for high temp, high load environments, which means they upp'ed the pressure in many cases. I first came across this on the VW/Audi boards where folks figured out comparing notes across posts (and sticker pictures) that for similarly equipped cars, the Euro. recommendations were commonly lower than the U.S. ones, and that they often went up (sometimes a lot) for U.S. spec. models from 2007 on. That tied to U.S. owners of post sticker change cars to start complaining of poor ride quality. Since gen 2 starts w/ 2007 coupes, to get insight here, you would have to try to ferret out Euro specs. Frankly, if available I would trust those because they reflect the manufacturers best judgment absent a further U.S. regulatory overlay, and they already contemplate common Euro legal speeds of at least 130kph (81 mph).

Finally, to really get it right, also consider your driving situation--how loaded is the car usually (manual recommendations get into this) and are you in a warm weather and higher typical speed situation (which would indeed suggest higher baseline pressures).

Failing all this, hopefully you get practical advice from Clubman owners running 215's, and even DWS's specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
I just install 4 new tires (Conti DWS) in the size of 215/45-17. Wonder what is the best tire pressure I should run to have the best balance of comfort and road feel?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 12:52 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
With all the information that MP1.6T reported, which is very true, I run 35 psi. in mine ---
Deuce is a 2012 S Coupe CR/SLV JCW package, Cold weather and Premium packages. Rooster red color line, White turn signals, Piano black dash, Xenons, Black headlights, Black driving lights, Rear fog light
Old 03-23-2011, 01:13 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Gallery
I run 38 psi all around and find the ride still compliant at that tire pressure.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:31 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Garage
I have 205/40 - 17 and run 36 PSI. When the tires were new I used the 'old' Nascar trick. I ran a 10-20 miles on the freeway then I pulled over and used a laser thermometer to measure the across the tire's thread. The temperature was the same across the thread. This means it was wearing evenly. After 25K miles the wear pattern is pretty even, so I guess the old trick does work.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:33 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
I drive a mcs 2011 with pirelli r 17 run flat . What's posted on the door sticker is 27 to 28 psi depending on load of car, is that possible? Since all of you run 35 to 38 psi ?
Thanks for reply
Old 03-23-2011, 09:19 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to onefish2
Gallery
I run 215/45/17 Nitto Neogens. I have them filled to 35psi. That is what works best for me.

09 JCW Laser Blue/Black | JCW Aero Kit | JCW Suspension | JCW Steering Wheel | Akrapovic DP & Exhaust | M7 CF Hood Scoop | DoS CAI | Helix Intercooler | H-Sport Rear Sway Bar | Craven Speed SSK | NM Eng Tie Bar, Boost Tubes & Torque Arm Insert | BSH OCC & Boost Tap | VEI High-Res Boost Gauge | Integral Audio Sub & Soundsatge | Blacked Out by Vinyl Styles | Pics
Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
Where are you located/what country spec was car built for?

See my reply above (post 2). If you are outside the US, what i discussed there could be your situation.

Having said that, yes 28 psi sounds awfully low if you have 17's, presumably 205/45-17's. Low enough it would be pretty easy to bubble a sidewall and/or bend a rim with a low profile 45 series type tire. My 2010 U.S. spec MCS that came with 205/45-17 Dunlop runflats has a tire pressure sticker calling for 38 psi (and 41 psi if run at high speed). Like other posters here, I had also concluded 35-36 psi made more sense (now w/ 225's as I mentioned above).

Separately, Mini USA recalled a small number of 2010's for faulty pressure stickers when equipped w/ 17 inch wheels--erroneously they had the pressure sticker for 16" wheels. You say you have a 2011 though, so it wouldn't seem to apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorykiki View Post
I drive a mcs 2011 with pirelli r 17 run flat . What's posted on the door sticker is 27 to 28 psi depending on load of car, is that possible? Since all of you run 35 to 38 psi ?
Thanks for reply
Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 PM