MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Help Me Choose
by UKNY
11 Replies, 194 Views
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2009, 02:54 PM
2nd Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Using the paddle shifters

I was under the assumption that the paddle shifters ONLY worked when you moved the gear shifter to the left while in Drive.

My paddle shifters engage anytime I hit them while driving. Is this correct? The service guy at the mini dealer tells me it's normal. If it's normal, then why do I have the ability to shove the stick to the left?

I don't get it.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:07 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
You are correct. You can use the paddle shifters, even when the car in not in autostick mode. One thing I did notice is after tapping the paddles, the computer will take over and shift for you, if you are coasting in normal drive.

Basically, if you want complete control of shifting the tranny, move the lever the the left. If you need to control the revs momentarily (ex. need to pass someone, etc.), you can still use the shift paddles while in drive.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:20 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
gotchya... thx for the tip. I wish there was a way to disable the paddles all together since I've hit them accidentally once or twice while turning the wheel. Never a good thing to have your car shift when you're not expecting it on a winding road
Old 04-09-2009, 07:29 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
This is what I love about driving my automatic Clubman. I can shift by nudging the shifter, or by flicking the paddles, or by leaving it in drive. It responds to different inputs, and gives me a manual-like feeling when I want it. I also like the way it downshifts in sport mode.

2008 MINI Clubman, 3/31/08, HC/B with Chocolate Lounge Leather,
Piano Black & Cream White, Anthracite Headliner, chrome line interior,
Pkgs: Premium, Cold Weather, Convenience & Sport;
16" snow wheels & 17" summer wheels.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Vendor

Gallery
The MINI Cooper S automatic is not for Whimps!

http://newmini.wordpress.com/2009/04...not-for-wimps/

www.Minimania.com
Old 04-09-2009, 08:13 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
great write-up, but the manual geeks will still never try it and see what they're missing
Old 04-09-2009, 08:31 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch70 View Post
great write-up, but the manual geeks will still never try it and see what they're missing

I'm a manny geek but my next mini will be auto because this is a great auto (plus I am experiencing first hand the big mini clutch weak point).

I think this auto is amazing because it is a reliable, japanese part that puts up some amazing numbers, allows full control (paddles are awesome), and is not CVT

11 MCS | EG/B | manu | carbon black interior | leatherette | MINI Connected with NAV
Good By: "Check" MC | PW/B | stick | cream line interior | piano black interior | checkered cloth sports seats | fog lights | anthricite headliner | JCW checkered floor matts | JCW Grill | Vinyls | Blackout chrome PW Peerage # 1988
Old 04-10-2009, 02:09 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
The paddles were a nice surprise. I didn't know my MCC was getting them 'til sat in it on delivery day. Woo-hoo!

Spike
Old 04-12-2009, 07:11 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
I was thinking today that there are quite a few different ways to utilize the MINI Auto Tranny ...

- in DRIVE
- in DRIVE with SPORT button on
- in DRIVE with paddle shifters when needed
- in DRIVE with SPORT button on and paddle shifters when needed
- in MANUAL MODE
- in MANUAL MODE with SPORT button on

all these yield a somewhat different driving experience. Can anyone think of any more?
Old 04-13-2009, 06:05 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike1201 View Post
The paddles were a nice surprise. I didn't know my MCC was getting them 'til sat in it on delivery day. Woo-hoo! Spike
Spike I think U lucked out-- the paddles were dropped for all non-S auto MINIs I think at the first of the year. When was yr. build??

back on topic, I >heart< the paddles, shift with them almost exclusively, and it feels great not having to sweat piddling clutch issues (like I did w/my 2005.) Except I tend to use the left one more than the right.
I say, boy, you dont seem to be apprehendin' the general gist of what I'm tryin' to convey here. Maybe you oughta take a second, let your head catch up to your tongue before it gets all sunburnt. That was a joke, son, I say - a joke! Nice boy, but he's about as sharp as a sack o' wet mice.

09 MCSa JCW
Old 04-13-2009, 06:12 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkercoop View Post
I think this auto is amazing because it is a reliable, japanese part that puts up some amazing numbers, allows full control (paddles are awesome), and is not CVT
it is about as good as it gets, w/o getting into the expensive double-clutch setups. And rarely do U hear about mechanical issues with the Aisin, if there's an issue, it's more than likely software related.

Plus with the JCW tune kit (should be available soon for Clubby S's) the car takes on a beastly nature!!
I say, boy, you dont seem to be apprehendin' the general gist of what I'm tryin' to convey here. Maybe you oughta take a second, let your head catch up to your tongue before it gets all sunburnt. That was a joke, son, I say - a joke! Nice boy, but he's about as sharp as a sack o' wet mice.

09 MCSa JCW
Old 06-04-2009, 08:18 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch70 View Post
I was thinking today that there are quite a few different ways to utilize the MINI Auto Tranny ...

- in DRIVE
- in DRIVE with SPORT button on
- in DRIVE with paddle shifters when needed
- in DRIVE with SPORT button on and paddle shifters when needed
- in MANUAL MODE
- in MANUAL MODE with SPORT button on

all these yield a somewhat different driving experience. Can anyone think of any more?
So is there a difference between driving in "Manual Mode" (i.e with the gear lever to the left) and driving in "Sport" mode (with the gear shift in the normal drive position?) When I look in the owners manual they seem to state that it is the same but some have said that moving into manual mode does not pick up the steering changes that the Sport button employs. Anyone have a definative answer on this

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish. -S Jobs 6/12/05
1980 Classic Mini Convertible (SOLD)
2008 PW/Blk MINI Cooper Clubman
1978 IH Scout Traveller
Old 06-04-2009, 08:18 AM