R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Oil change for 2009 Clubman

Old 02-09-2009, 04:00 PM
NeuroticRobot
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil change for 2009 Clubman

Anyone know where I can change the oil in my 2009 Clubman without having to pay the higher premium at the dealership? Im having trouble finding a place that carries the 2009 Clubman oil filter. I live in S. California by the way. Thanks guys.

P.S: Im at 4800 miles.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:08 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NeuroticRobot
Anyone know where I can change the oil in my 2009 Clubman without having to pay the higher premium at the dealership? Im having trouble finding a place that carries the 2009 Clubman oil filter. I live in S. California by the way. Thanks guys.

P.S: Im at 4800 miles.
You can buy OEM filters online for less than $10. Buy one and bring it to your favorite independent garage and have them use it when they change your oil.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:54 PM
NeuroticRobot
2nd Gear
I wish I didn't have to purchase it online. It'll definitely be the last resort for sure. Thanks. You happen to know a reputable place to purchase the filter?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:30 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Erm, DIY? Takes less than an hour-which would be the time you spent waiting in the lobby for the guy to finish the job. In addition, you don't even need to hack the Clubman up to access the oil plug. It's reachable from the front of the vehicle.

Total cost: ~$55

Old 02-10-2009, 05:36 AM
Tsar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NeuroticRobot
I wish I didn't have to purchase it online. It'll definitely be the last resort for sure. Thanks. You happen to know a reputable place to purchase the filter?
How about this? You get oil and a filter. Or you can just buy an oil filter if you don't want RP.

What's wrong with buying online?

Old 02-10-2009, 06:06 AM
jondon69
1st Gear
I think I'm missing something here? Isn't the oil change at the dealer free? I though all service was included for 3/36? And, they're saying the oil is good for 15k miles... I've been a 3,000 change guy in my older cars, but figured I'd follow the book on my own 09 Clubbie...

I am curious as to the answers 'cuz my dealer is 60 miles away and I'm not afraid of doing my own oil changes...

Do you have to reset the oil life monitor or does it actually 'know' the condition of the oil?

Thanks!

Old 02-10-2009, 06:07 AM
davidbod
1st Gear
Just go to the dealership parts center and buy one. It comes with the oil drain plug copper washer, which some of the on-line filters do not. The next step is what oil to use, and the safest bet is to just buy this at the dealership as well.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:14 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
In this DIY there is a tutorial for the R56 oil change.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:39 AM
Tsar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jondon69
I think I'm missing something here? Isn't the oil change at the dealer free? I though all service was included for 3/36? And, they're saying the oil is good for 15k miles... I've been a 3,000 change guy in my older cars, but figured I'd follow the book on my own 09 Clubbie...

I am curious as to the answers 'cuz my dealer is 60 miles away and I'm not afraid of doing my own oil changes...

Do you have to reset the oil life monitor or does it actually 'know' the condition of the oil?

Thanks!
You're correct you do get free oil changes from the dealer for 36k miles. However, some people don't want to wait 15k miles for the very first oil change. Most want to change the oil at least after the break in is done. That's what I will be doing.

Also some people don't like waiting 15k miles for an oil change, period. Doing an oil change has never degraded performance of the vehicle.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:58 AM
jondon69
1st Gear
I'm not afraid of oil changes, I'm just thinking of going by the book on this new car... On the ask a technician part of the Mini web site a question was asked about break in, varying engine speeds, and changing break in oil, and the reply was that the engine was built to a standard of tolerance such that a traditional break in was unnecessary (although I did vary my engine speeds and limited myself to 3k rpm for 1,500 miles) and that the oil monitoring system actually evaluated the oil continually and if there were any particles or change in viscosity of the oil that the monitor would alert you immediately...

I don't mean to be the devil's advocate here, but would they really publish all that if it weren't true?

Please keep the input coming -- I want to know what's best for my new Mini... I don't want to generate more waste oil for no reason at all... I don't want to change it because 'it won't hurt to do it anyway' I want to change it because I KNOW it's helping SOMETHING :-)))

Does anyone have any facts or information they can steer me to showing an actual benefit of changing the oil much more often? If there's a good reason for it I WILL! I change the oil in my 2 old British cars once a year whether they've even gone 3k miles or not, so it's not that I'm afraid to!

Thanks!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:09 AM
jondon69
1st Gear
Okay I found what I was referring to...

From Ask the Mini Product Manager on miniusa.com web site
(what a pain that site is to navigate!!!)

QUOTE:

How often should I get the oil changed? Should I just leave it to the computer in the car?
-Neil T

Oh yes, the computer in your car is the all-knowing brain behind your MINI’s operations. If the engine room says that your MINI needs an oil change, it will tell you. Of course, the frequency of the oil change may vary, depending on driving conditions and habits, so keep that in mind should your vehicle’s on-board computer tell you to have your oil changed at varying intervals. Good thing for you, oil changes are at no cost for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles after delivery.

I have a 2008 MINI Cooper S. My neighbor that used to be a mechanic says that I should have my oil changed after the break-in period because there might be metal shavings in my engine. The dealership didn't mention any of this. I love my MINI and look forward to a long life with her. What should I do!?!
-Nick A

For decades, automobile engines were manufactured in factories that often could not machine parts to very close tolerances. But today’s automobile engine, and in particular, the one under the bonnet of your MINI, is manufactured in a vacuum by robots right next to supercomputer chips. Some say open heart surgery is often not as sanitary as our Hams Hall plant. OK, I can’t back any of that up, but in truth, our 1.6-liter engines are manufactured to incredibly close tolerances, some as little as .0005 inches. With such precision and cleanliness, metal shavings that would normally result from the machining process are practically eliminated during the subsequent manufacturing and assembly processes. In the end, it is not necessary to change the oil out right away. Rather, let the car’s on-board computer tell you when it’s time to refill your crankcase for the first time.

END QUOTE

Old 02-10-2009, 07:12 AM
Tsar
4th Gear
I'm not afraid of oil changes, I'm just thinking of going by the book on this new car... On the ask a technician part of the Mini web site a question was asked about break in, varying engine speeds, and changing break in oil, and the reply was that the engine was built to a standard of tolerance such that a traditional break in was unnecessary (although I did vary my engine speeds and limited myself to 3k rpm for 1,500 miles) and that the oil monitoring system actually evaluated the oil continually and if there were any particles or change in viscosity of the oil that the monitor would alert you immediately...

I don't mean to be the devil's advocate here, but would they really publish all that if it weren't true?

Please keep the input coming -- I want to know what's best for my new Mini... I don't want to generate more waste oil for no reason at all... I don't want to change it because 'it won't hurt to do it anyway' I want to change it because I KNOW it's helping SOMETHING :-)))

Does anyone have any facts or information they can steer me to showing an actual benefit of changing the oil much more often? If there's a good reason for it I WILL! I change the oil in my 2 old British cars once a year whether they've even gone 3k miles or not, so it's not that I'm afraid to!

Thanks!
The book says you should break in your new car for 1200 miles. Most engine builders change oil after the break in period - call it a superstition or just a desire but that's what I'm gonna do. The world will not die from extra 5qt of oil (Plus I don't pour it in the ground anyways, we recycle it)

EDIT* 1. I read your last post, somewhere on this site there was an oil analysis done after the "break in" oil was changed and it indicated excess contaminants, which are indicative of the break in period.

2. I don't really take anything the dealers or they mechanics (working for the dealer) say too seriously, most of the time. When my mother bought her car, the dealer stated that she should change her synthetic oil every 3k miles. Oh and the price of an oil change is 160 bucks. I told her to stop going there...

Last edited by Tsar; 02-10-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:34 AM
jondon69
1st Gear
Interesting... I obviously had not seen that bit in the book, but will go hunting for it, and certainly will change out my oil if recommended... I will furthermore send off a scathing note to the miniusa web site if what they say is clearly contradictory to what's in the book.

FWIW I'm almost at 2k miles so about the point I'd normally change break-in oil anyway...

Thanks for the input :-)

Old 02-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Tsar
4th Gear
Interesting... I obviously had not seen that bit in the book, but will go hunting for it, and certainly will change out my oil if recommended... I will furthermore send off a scathing note to the miniusa web site if what they say is clearly contradictory to what's in the book.

FWIW I'm almost at 2k miles so about the point I'd normally change break-in oil anyway...

Thanks for the input :-)
Page 84, under driving tips.
Moving parts need breaking in time to adjust to each other. Please follow the instructions below on order to achieve the optimal service life and economy for your vehicle.
And it goes on for a little. It says nothing about changing oil after 1200 miles but if parts are "adjusting" than I'm changing my oil

I'm not trying to convince you to see my way, just exposing the "other side"

Old 02-10-2009, 08:13 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, the first covered oil change in the R56 and Clubman is:

15K miles or 1 year anniversary date from delivery.

I am doing the factory intervals. In fact, I have followed them in all my MINIs with no problems. I see no point in spending time and money replacing synthetic oil every 5K miles.

This is a personal choice. So if anyone wants to flame me, save your anger to yourself.

Thanks.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:00 AM
jondon69
1st Gear
Thanks Tsar - I'm always happy to listen to the other side before making a decision :-) Now I'm off to lunch and to read my owner's manual more closely!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:53 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how much does yr dealer charge for an oil/filter change? Mine is $69 out the door, and this is good because if I DIY'd I'd create a NEPA hazmat hazard.

I changed my break in oil at 2K, and plan on using my dealer's annual freebies every 7500 to 10K. Since I dont race or track, this is perfectly fine for full synthetic.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Tsar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
Actually, the first covered oil change in the R56 and Clubman is:

15K miles or 1 year anniversary date from delivery.

I am doing the factory intervals. In fact, I have followed them in all my MINIs with no problems. I see no point in spending time and money replacing synthetic oil every 5K miles.

This is a personal choice. So if anyone wants to flame me, save your anger to yourself.

Thanks.
1. I think everyone knows when the first free oil change is.
2. Who mentioned 5k intervals with synthetic oil?
3. Why waste money at all on oil changes? My step dad drove his exploder for 40k+ miles without doing ONE! It was lease too, he thought "why would I waste the money?".
4. It is a personal choice, and that is what we are talking about here - it's your car, thus not my concern.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:24 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Who is suggesting to drive a car for 40K miles without an oil change? That is not what I said.

I believe that engine manufacturing technology and synthetic oils have come to a point where the 3K mile intervals to replace dino oil are a thing of the past. Thus my comment as to why I don't see the need to change synthetic oil frequently (I threw the 5K mile interval up in the air, could be more or less).

It is true. It is a personal choice. If you are old school, it is hard to stomach 10K-15K mile intervals. I can perfectly understand that. On the other hand there are some of us that believe the technology has passed by firmly held beliefs regarding engine maintenance.

BTW, all my MINIs are paid for in cash. I don't lease cars or "rent" to own. I expect to put on my cars no less than 150K - 200K miles. So far, I see no problem accomplishing that goal. I have nearly 120K miles combined total for all 4 MINIs owned since 2002. Each one has followed the suggested factory intervals. None of those cars have had any issues (One of them is currently owned by another NAM member and I keep in contact with him).

But if you feel better spending $60-$100 bucks every 5K-8K miles and replacing your own oil, that is fine too. Do what makes you feel comfortable and what you believe are the correct steps to protect your investment.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:39 AM
jondon69
1st Gear
Yep, the manual bears out go easy on break-in, (limit to 4,500 rpms and under 100 mph is going easy???) but nothing said about changing break-in oil.

I wonder how diddling with the oil yourself will look in the event of a warranty claim? I'm still not settled either way (but I AM glad I took the first 1,500 easy!)

In fact, until I have another 1 or 2k on the clock, I probly won't 'drive it like I stole it' and even then the first thing I'll do is check my MPG average to see what the heavy foot costs me :-)))

Old 02-10-2009, 10:39 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
To answer the OP's question. Dealer or Online. I have not found any of the aftermarket manufacturers that make one for the 2nd gen Mini yet and i have tried them all.

Now for the rest of you here is my opinion. Take it for what you think it is worth. but i suggest you read thru the many threads about the finding of oil testing done on oil taken out of Mini's

There have been many people on the forum here who have had the recommended Mini Full Synthetic Oil tested after 6K miles and found that the oil is almost completely broken down and doing the engine by staying in there for longer.

Now from personal experience my car has 14,453 miles on it and the engine control system is telling me it is not due for an oil change for another 8000 mile so that would be 14453 + 8000 = 22453. Well by that time the car will be just approaching a year old i suspect. In my eyes it is not a good thing to wait that long to change the oil.

Also for those of you who say the oil changes are free. Well yes they are only if the year or the computer tell the dealer it needs to be changed. So in my case it would have been a year or 22000+ miles.

So if the oil is fully broken down by the time it reaches 6k miles where will it actually be when it hits 22k miles????????? Non existent, possibly.

So as i see it change the oil per the Mini schedule and then have an engine that has destroyed itself by the time it hits 43k to 50k miles. Then it is time to pay pay pay for a new engine, cause it will not be cheap to get a new one.

So for the $50.00 to $60.00 dollars that the local guy will charge it is well worth the change every 3K to 5K miles.

Cost of oil changes every 5K miles for the first 100K = 20 x 60 = 1200 = funand enjoyment for 100k for aroudn $1200

Lost engine shortly after warranty. Cost 3K+ plus the agrivation of not having the car, and the loss of time with my car. First 100k = not so fun.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:41 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Don't quote me on this, but I think I read here on in www.mini2.com that the factory oil has special additives etc beneficial during the brake in period. I am just repeating like a parrot from a post a read a long time ago. Not sure whether this is true or not.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Tsar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
Who is suggesting to drive a car for 40K miles without an oil change? That is not what I said.
That was a retort to your "why waste money on extra oil changes" statement. Why waste money at all than? Some people never change their oil and their life is perfectly fine. Different strokes for different folks.

I believe that engine manufacturing technology and synthetic oils have come to a point where the 3K mile intervals to replace dino oil are a thing of the past.
No one is talking about dino oil, you're not even suppose to use it in a MINI.

It is true. It is a personal choice. If you are old school, it is hard to stomach 10K-15K mile intervals. I can perfectly understand that. On the other hand there are some of us that believe the technology has passed by firmly held beliefs regarding engine maintenance.
I would venture to say that I'm younger than you are

BTW, all my MINIs are paid for in cash. I don't lease cars or "rent" to own.
Good for you?
I expect to put on my cars no less than 150K - 200K miles.
I don't expect any less from mine either.
I have nearly 120K miles combined total for all 4 MINIs owned since 2002.
30k on average? since 2002? I know people who do that in a year, no wonder you don't do any extra maintance on your cars. My gf is pushing 3k miles on a car she bought 3 weeks ago...

Each one has followed the suggested factory intervals. None of those cars have had any issues
Excellent, I hope mine is the same way. I doubt If I do extra oil change on my MINI at 1.2k miles it will suffer horrible fate unlike yours...

But if you feel better spending $60-$100 bucks every 5K-8K miles and replacing your own oil, that is fine too. Do what makes you feel comfortable and what you believe are the correct steps to protect your investment.
And I will

As I said somewhere in the beginning of this thread, different strokes for different folks.

Have a good day

Old 02-10-2009, 10:43 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I have not seen any first hand evidence here or elsewhere, that following the suggested factory intervals will cause sludge or any other long term damage to the engine.

I would also like to see a copy or link to the study where it is claimed that the MINI synthetic oil is completely broken down by 6K miles.

I would love to see links, photos, etc that point to proven evidence of damage if following the on board computer intervals.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:45 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Hey Tsar, you strike me to be a little emotional and defensive about this topic. Just an observation. No need to have your blood pressure raised over meaningless opinions posted on an internet message board.

And you too, Have a good day sir.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R55 Oil change for 2009 Clubman