R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Best child safety seats for Clubman?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 12:25 PM
pilotman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by josephway
I have been using the SageGuard Go seat in my Clubman and I am really happy with it. I have a three year old and tried a dozen or so other seats before I got this. http://www.safeguardseat.com/go/index.htm

It sells for about $149 at albeebaby.com.
thanks for posting the picture. According to the manufacturer's website of that seat the top tether must be used.

Does the Clubman have top tether anchors, and if so, where are they located? (I am currently considering a Clubman but have to sell the wife on it for our kids!)

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2009, 03:14 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pilotman
thanks for posting the picture. According to the manufacturer's website of that seat the top tether must be used.

Does the Clubman have top tether anchors, and if so, where are they located? (I am currently considering a Clubman but have to sell the wife on it for our kids!)

Thanks!
The top tether anchors are bolted directly to the car's metal body in the trunk's floor. I'll post a pic so you can see how they look like with the anchor installed in place.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:45 PM
josephway
Neutral
I routed the top tether underneath the headrest and down the back of the seat to the anchor in in the boot.

Attached Thumbnails Best child safety seats for Clubman?-anchordecal.jpg   Best child safety seats for Clubman?-underheadrest.jpg   Best child safety seats for Clubman?-tether.jpg  
Old 03-06-2009, 04:03 PM
pilotman
1st Gear
I routed the top tether underneath the headrest and down the back of the seat to the anchor in in the boot.
Thanks for posting the pictures, they are very helpful.

This is a great forum, excellent advice.

So, the tethers are located in the very back of the cargo area, right where the cargo floor meets the back of the rear seat bench?

I'm just trying to figure out whether the straps would create any problems putting items in the cargo area.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:11 PM
josephway
Neutral
The anchors are at the very bottom of the back of the seat under the cargo floor. There is an amazing amount of space under that false floor. I have two adult sized camp chairs and a toddler chair stowed away under there too. The tether does not interfere with the cargo area at all.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:11 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pilotman
Thanks for posting the pictures, they are very helpful.

This is a great forum, excellent advice.

So, the tethers are located in the very back of the cargo area, right where the cargo floor meets the back of the rear seat bench?

I'm just trying to figure out whether the straps would create any problems putting items in the cargo area.
No. The metal anchor is nearly flush against the bottom of the rear bench so it is completely out of the way and won't interfere or take away precious inches of cargo space. It is a neat design.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:16 PM
pilotman
1st Gear
Awesome guys, again, I really appreciate the advice!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:10 AM
COOP310
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by edjd
Have four kiddos...only britax and clek in our household...!

britax parkway fit fine in clubman and clek's fit awesomely well!...... didn't try to fit our britax roundabouts, but since they are not as big as the marathon, I expect the roundabouts to fit much better than a marathon...esepcially if the child is still rear facing...

all this also depends on the lenght of room required upfront....I'm 5'6" and my spouse is just under my height and the occasional errands w/ one or so kiddo is no big deal w/ seats...
Do you have the clek booster? I am trying to find out if the fixed LATCH connectors make it sit too far away from the backrest.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:43 AM
MrsZug
2nd Gear
Has anyone tried the True Fit by The First Years?

http://www.target.com/First-Years-Tr...e%20fit&page=1

I am looking to replace my Britax Roundabout that my nearly 5 yo daughter is currently in. I like the Roundabout because it's not too high. We tried a Graco Nautilus in the Clubman, and it was so high that it seriously interfered with my view out the back of the car.

I definitely want to keep my daughter in a 5-pt harness for as long as I can. She's almost 38 lbs, and about 40 inches, so she's not a very big kid. I was thinking of a Britax Frontier, but I'm afraid it would be too tall.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:13 PM
wampa
3rd Gear
Surely I can't be the only one who doesn't use the top tether anchor thing. Wow its annoying. I like to be able to take the carseat out without breaking a sweat and wasting 30 minutes.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:47 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
Thought you guys might find this interesting. the Chicco KeyFit seat actually has an R50 MINI as the illustration

Attached Thumbnails Best child safety seats for Clubman?-chicco_mini.jpg  
Old 05-21-2009, 07:26 PM
veg1515
3rd Gear
What infant seat is everyone using?

Old 05-22-2009, 07:41 AM
josephway
Neutral
a 2007 Grand Cherokee, lol... I havn't been able to get any rear facing infant seats to really fit.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:06 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
a 2007 Grand Cherokee, lol... I havn't been able to get any rear facing infant seats to really fit.
really?

I just started using this one and it fits fine.
http://www.chiccousa.com/gear/car-se...-coventry.aspx

and both me and my wife are rather tall.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:14 PM
veg1515
3rd Gear
lurch do you think that would fit in a Cooper as well with the seats back ?

Do you think the extra three inches in the clubman makes a big difference here?

Old 05-26-2009, 07:56 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Originally Posted by veg1515
lurch do you think that would fit in a Cooper as well with the seats back ?

Do you think the extra three inches in the clubman makes a big difference here?
not sure. I think it also depends on the height of the people in the car.
ok, so here are 2 pics of the first outing yesterday with our newborn.

baby seat in back, carriage in front, wife (5'10") in back and me 6'7" driving.
on the return trip my wife was driving with me in the back, which worked fine as well.

with this config, we still had the entire boot area empty for groceries, etc. although I think i could squeeze the baby carriage in there also. will try it another time.

Attached Thumbnails Best child safety seats for Clubman?-clubkid.jpg   Best child safety seats for Clubman?-clubkid1.jpg  
Old 05-26-2009, 08:24 PM
veg1515
3rd Gear
NICE ! Thanks for the pics

Looks like that front seat would need to be pulled forward just a tad so the seat can be reclined . My wife (5'7) should fit fine up front

Thanks again

Old 05-31-2009, 07:25 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
on a related note, what do you guys use (besides window tint) to keep the sun out of the baby's eyes in the back seat?
and specific shades, window covers?

Old 06-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Well, waaaaaaay back when - when our now 19 year old was a babe in swadling clothes they used to sell little shades that you could either suction cup on or hook on..and they had small perforations in them. At this stage of my game, that's about the best free advice I can offer. They did work well, however.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:20 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
As an update to my earlier post ... this is the full size Chicco carriage in the back. Seats are up ... and still space for a few grocery bags.
Fits no problem

Attached Thumbnails Best child safety seats for Clubman?-img_3513.jpg  
Old 07-21-2009, 03:58 PM
wrx_xb9r
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We switched from a MINI convertible to the Clubman. The main reason was to give foot room to our 11 year old. His legs were the wrong length. His feet were too big to fit behind our seats straight forward and his legs were not long enough to get his feet under the seats. Now with the Clubman he has plenty of foot room.

Our 6 year old daughter can get in/out more easily also.

We use a Graco booster for our 6 year old. It works very well and is in brown with a trim piping just like the leather in the car.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:29 PM
irish92
1st Gear
We have a Britax Frontier for my 4 year old behind the driver seat in the Clubman. It's a bit snug for his legs and my seating but that seat is like a rock. I've also used the Clek in a pinch and it fits great (and is awesome to pop out and toss in the boot).

Old 09-09-2009, 09:21 AM
SaltNPepa
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lurch70
really?

I just started using this one and it fits fine.
http://www.chiccousa.com/gear/car-se...-coventry.aspx

and both me and my wife are rather tall.
Is there enough space for some one to sit next to the baby in the back with the car seat in place.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:16 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SaltNPepa
Is there enough space for some one to sit next to the baby in the back with the car seat in place.
yes of course, either me or the wife are always next to the seat.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:32 PM
fyzawyza
1st Gear
How about a $850.00 option?

Originally Posted by steinkrieg
I am surprised nobody here has mentioned Recaro. We have gone through 4 different models of Britax, and they have all been good. The Recaro seats are at a higher level. The best part of the Recaro seats are how they seem to have a smaller footprint in the seat and actually create more room for the kids. Also they have great headrests. This has allowed my kids to sleep in the car without having their heads flop all the way over. I highly suggest researching these seats. There is a $100 option and a $350 option. Britax is my number two... But after getting the Recaro seat that we recently received I was quickly sure that they were of a higher level.

Also, I like that Recaro makes real racing seats... This is completely commercial and silly of me, but I just like the idea of a racing brand in my Clubman. Either way, I'm sure you will be happy.

So, I thought I'd check out the Recaro options; I like that they make racing seats but check out this $850 option:

http://www.amazon.com/Recaro-Monza-R...607098&sr=8-11

Quick Reply: R55 Best child safety seats for Clubman?