R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Brake Pulsar Install on Clubman

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:45 PM
AlexMoultonIsMyMan
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Pulsar Install on Clubman

I recently got the GoMiniGo.com third brake light Pulsar. You can find it here. Here is a pictorial of my install since there was no instructions for the Clubman as I write this.

First, you need a T-25 TORX driver, wire cutters, wire strippers, and small jewelers flathead screwdriver. Do not take off the seal that goes around the door area. It has a sticky black goo that gets everywhere inside and it is not necessary to remove to do the install.

Remove the brake light assembly that is held on by 8 TORX screws under the rain rail.

Brake light assembly removed. Two things here. First is a tube for the rear window washer jets. The other is the brake light wiring.

Here is a close up of the wiring before I started.

Wire harness plug removed. It pushes to the right with a little pressure. This shows the under side of the plug. It has a small prong that latches it to the assembly.

I found a spot that the Pulsar would go that doesn't interfere with the latching of the plug. I cut the wire half way between so that both sides had more than enough wire to go into the Pulsar.

Pulsar connected to the brake light side wiring.

Pulsar connected to both sides of the wiring harness. I then stuck it with the included adhesive very carefully in the spot I had chosen.

Plug re-attached to the brake light assembly.

The brake light assembly finished and the wires re-routed to the factory locations. Slide the unit back on to the car. (Make sure you guide the rain rails into their notches correctly) Screw together. Done!

Last edited by AlexMoultonIsMyMan; 07-01-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Repaired Image Links
Old 03-20-2008, 07:17 AM
edijak
2nd Gear
Thanks for the great install info. Much appreciated

Old 07-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Dead Ringer
4th Gear
just did the install, was 10x easier with this post. When looking at the instructions, I was thinking it would be a lot harder, it was super easy! thx much!!

Old 07-01-2013, 05:51 PM
MotorWorf
4th Gear
Photos are now gone (sigh)

Old 07-01-2013, 06:00 PM
AlexMoultonIsMyMan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MotorWorf
Photos are now gone (sigh)
I sold my Clubman about 2 years ago, but I still have the photos, just not on Flickr. Here is the link to them in my Dropbox.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:09 PM
MotorWorf
4th Gear
Thank you kind sir. I think, though, that the rear light has changed a wee bit since your 2008....MINI is always making mods (smile)

Old 07-01-2013, 06:14 PM
AlexMoultonIsMyMan
2nd Gear
I stepped over to the parent company. You're right, they are always changing things.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:11 AM
Mini///M
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great pics. Wondering if you could tell me if you thought this was a worthwhile mod or just distracting? Seems good and its relatively cheap. I'd like to buy it but I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience with it firsthand.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:37 AM
KeyPlayaJim
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini///M
Great pics. Wondering if you could tell me if you thought this was a worthwhile mod or just distracting? Seems good and its relatively cheap. I'd like to buy it but I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience with it firsthand.
Driving my new MCS from southern NJ to upstate NY, I noticed that cars behind me really backed off whenever I applied the brakes. Of course, I have no way of knowing how much effect the Pulsar actually had, but it did seem like people were paying more attention to my braking than they used to.

Via iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 07-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Mini///M
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KeyPlayaJim
Driving my new MCS from southern NJ to upstate NY, I noticed that cars behind me really backed off whenever I applied the brakes. Of course, I have no way of knowing how much effect the Pulsar actually had, but it did seem like people were paying more attention to my braking than they used to.

Via iPhone using NAMotoring
Thanks for that info. I was on the edge and you pushed me over lol. Thinking about it, my girlfriend will be driving this car alot in serious traffic. Might as well get it.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:53 AM
MotorWorf
4th Gear
Thanks for the photos. A tremendous help, although I installed the module (BLP) that looks like a large thimble. 3 wires: Blue goes to MINI Brown and Red & White go between a cut yellow-pay attention to the BLP directions for which way the Red connects and which way White connects. If they're backwards 3rd brake light will not pulse; just reverse them if this happens (duh, how do I know?).