R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Cabrio Talk first thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 03:04 PM
XSIV SUN
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lic Plate Says it all "XSIV SUN"
I've been a "sleath" member on this site for some time. I'm the very proud owner of a Hyper Blue MCSC with cordoba seats. I've wanted a convertible for...well, as long as I've been driving. Living in S. Cal, there are just too many "perfect" days not to enjoy.

I'm just getting familiar with the car and this board (truth be told, I've had the car for a year but haven't been able to drive it much...but that's now changed!)

Looking forward to meeting and getting additional ideas from all of you!

Old 03-24-2008, 03:16 PM
accce
2nd Gear
Welcome!!

Old 03-24-2008, 03:59 PM
homerwest
5th Gear
Another sunburned ears great big So Cal welcome! Enjoy!

Old 03-24-2008, 06:32 PM
joshamman
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my Hyber Blue MCSc has to suffer thru Michigan cold and grays, but when the suns out, the top is down (or at least open, as today 37º)

Old 03-25-2008, 03:39 PM
XSIV SUN
2nd Gear
I just picked up a sweet custom draft-doger from BrownFlyer...short of rain (after years of drought, it's only a hope) or a sandstorm in the desert I'll always have my top down now!

I'm trying to make "racoon eyes" the newest fashion statement

Old 04-10-2008, 03:42 AM
Roneboy
2nd Gear
Just joined you guys so that I can have some fun too. This past week-end I picked her up. A 2007 Chili red with sport and premium package.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:53 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Congrats, Roneboy!

Old 04-10-2008, 05:03 AM
weldher13
Neutral
Flyin to Denver!

Flying to Denver tomorrow to pick my new (to me) PS MCS up. Then a nice long road trip home over the weekend..A nice way to get to know each other. Anything I should be aware of?

Old 04-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Nano
Neutral
2005 MCS Cabrio

I got mine last year and have had so much fun driving it... I am glad I discovered the car.

Nano

Old 04-26-2008, 01:52 PM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by weldher13
Flying to Denver tomorrow to pick my new (to me) PS MCS up. Then a nice long road trip home over the weekend..A nice way to get to know each other. Anything I should be aware of?
YES!! Whatever you do make sure that under absolutely no circumstances should you ever....

Oops.. Never mind, I just noticed your posting date. It's probably too late to warn at this point.
No sense in wasting your time reading this, you have probably already done it anyway...

Well just try not to do it again...

Old 05-02-2008, 01:21 PM
MadMiniConvert
Neutral
Proud new MINI Owner

Hello everyone!, I just wanted to say Hello and share my enthusiasm.

After months of browsing, I finally found the perfect mini (for me) and picked her up 10 days ago.

She's a sweet pepper-white convertible with all the options including factory installed JCW. I bought her with 23,000 miles, but after our "get acquainted" tour out west, she's now over 27,000 and the wife and I are more in love with her than ever.

Before driving this car, I had never thought of myself as a person who enjoyed driving. I'm so happy I was wrong.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:30 AM
J3kidford
2nd Gear
Welcome and congratulations! There's driving to get from point A to point B and then there's driving a MINI!!! Big, huge difference!!

Old 05-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Henry Mushman
1st Gear
Hi Everyone and I like this site, lots of good info here.
Going on the first week with the Mini. Having fun is what it is all about with this car. Rekless Kelley at the wheel of Clorox.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Neverfifty
3rd Gear
I may have missed this along the way somewhere, but does anyone know why the MINI Cooper Cabrio does not have light roof colors? Being a convertible it would be nice to deflect some of the sun's rays if you can not put down the roof for whatever the reason.. Although I know it is a SIN to drive with it up

Old 05-19-2008, 10:32 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Good question.... I always assumed it was just an aesthetic / marketing decision. I'm confident there were some surveys / focus groups done that didn't favor lighter tops... and with the relatively small production of R52's they probably couldn't justify more than three choices (frankly, I'm AMAZED that the green roof ever happened...)

Old 05-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Neverfifty
3rd Gear
Thanks for the input. I am due to get a new MINI next year and we will be moving to Florida the year after, so was hoping for a light color roof. I do like the Cabrio, but I may be tempted to go for a hard top with lighter roof,
decisions, decisions!

Old 05-19-2008, 11:48 AM
accce
2nd Gear
Not hot with the roof down!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:57 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Good question.... I always assumed it was just an aesthetic / marketing decision. I'm confident there were some surveys / focus groups done that didn't favor lighter tops... and with the relatively small production of R52's they probably couldn't justify more than three choices (frankly, I'm AMAZED that the green roof ever happened...)
Green??? What about the blue? Except for the ones like yourself that have a blue car, why would anyone want a blue roof?

When I was looking at Hot Orange minis, I couldn't believe how many came with blue roofs. YUCK.

Blue roofs belong on blue cars. Green roofs belong on green cars. Everything else should have black.

Mark

Old 05-21-2008, 04:13 AM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Green??? What about the blue? Except for the ones like yourself that have a blue car, why would anyone want a blue roof?

When I was looking at Hot Orange minis, I couldn't believe how many came with blue roofs. YUCK.
I came really close to getting my school colors on my MINI cabrio which would have been Orange body with a Green top and White bonnet stripes "Go Canes".

And then there's the Gator fans from Gainesville that should be driving Orange MINI's with Blue tops.

But the poor Seminole fans were left out with no Garnett and Gold scheme.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:39 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush

Blue roofs belong on blue cars. Green roofs belong on green cars. Everything else should have black.

Mark
I'm mostly with you on that. Yeah, blue roof is mostly for blue cars... though it can look pretty good on Pepper White also. And MINI makes more than one color blue car.... the green roof only makes sense on BRG (and there aren't many of those) unless you're going for some goofy abomination color scheme...

Old 05-21-2008, 04:54 AM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Yeah, blue roof is mostly for blue cars... though it can look pretty good on Pepper White also.
And that would cover the Penn State fans.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:32 PM
pdx_wee_car
1st Gear
... (frankly, I'm AMAZED that the green roof ever happened...)
The Green Roof works brilliantly with the BRG colo(u)r - which is frankly the only colo(u)r to have . Sadly I just couldn't wait the 2 months for a custom order so took my BRG one with the black roof from the dealer floor....just not quite as nice IMHO.

I will admit Hot Orange looks nice and the Blue isn't bad - but White .....the only white cars in the UK (home of the Mini remember) are wedding cars and delivery vans. It's sacrilegous

My original 80's 850cc Mini was also BRG. May have been slow and had a steering wheel the size of a bus, but man it could go round corners!

Old 06-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Liz in Virginia
Neutral
LOL - I was close! New owner driving home from the dealership in late April with a huge grin and the top down in 50-degree weather. Funny thing was the only other convertible I saw down was another 30-day tag car!

Since then, I've only put the top up when taking the kitties home from the vet (going there, they seemed to like the distraction OK). Oh, and I did have to pull over and test that 15-second top up thing earlier this month. I don't think 60 mph would have kept me dry in that sudden thunder-boomer downpour we had (but the seats mop up pretty good

Glad to have found this forum.

Cheers,
Liz in Virginia
2008 MCSC

Old 06-11-2008, 06:31 PM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Welcome Liz. I saw a cabrio today who commited a double sin, top up on nice day AND no wave!

If you're not familiar with DCMM, D.C. Metro MINIs is a fun club. Don't know what part of VA you are in... But if northern come visit with us!

Old 06-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Liz in Virginia
Neutral
Haven't found DCMM yet. Do y'all have a website? [doh - has its very own forum here!]

Cheers,
Liz in Woodbridge, Virginia

Last edited by Liz in Virginia; 06-18-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: update

Quick Reply: R52 Cabrio Talk first thread