Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Backup Camera

Old 01-10-2017, 07:43 AM
DaGriz
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Backup Camera

I'm tired of the large blind spot in parking lots. I installed one of these on my Jeep and F150 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and considering one for the R52. It broadcasts over wifi to an app on the IPhone. Picture quality is pretty good and other than power to the camera no other installation is required.

is there an easy to access wire on the rear lid behind the license plate? I need something that is either hot all of the time or at least with the lights on.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:18 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
I'd like to do the same thing....not sure of an always hot wire though....

Old 01-10-2017, 12:50 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by DaGriz
is there an easy to access wire on the rear lid behind the license plate?
The interior black panel of the tailgate just pops off as I recall, exposing all the wiring.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:14 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Do you have the backup alarm as I would think that circuit is hot once the transmission is placed into reverse? You could tap that and then route through the license plate/rear gate shroud.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:13 AM
DaGriz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
Do you have the backup alarm as I would think that circuit is hot once the transmission is placed into reverse? You could tap that and then route through the license plate/rear gate shroud.
Might look at that an alternatives to mounting to license plate. The bracket could be easily trimmed and the wire is direct to the camera.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:14 AM
DaGriz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
The interior black panel of the tailgate just pops off as I recall, exposing all the wiring.
Hoping there's a grommet of some sort exiting to route the wires through. Don't want to do any drilling.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:53 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Hoping there's a grommet of some sort exiting to route the wires through.
When you open the tailgate, you can see the grommet at the center along the bottom edge.

Here's a photo of the inside of the tailgate, from 11 years ago when I installed the OEM backup camera. At the upper left you can see one of the fasteners that attaches the black trim panel. The panel just pops off. You can pick up a backup signal from the taillight.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:37 AM
DaGriz
3rd Gear
I think I may try and modify the camera to fit the rear bumper insert (where the rear fog light goes) That may be the cleanest and easiest.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:54 AM
bugeye1031
What about mounting the camera within the interior - would having it view through the rear window work?

Old 01-12-2017, 09:01 AM
DaGriz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bugeye1031
What about mounting the camera within the interior - would having it view through the rear window work?
I have a Cabrio.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:37 AM
bugeye1031
Sorry I wasn't clear...I have a Cabrio too.... Just wondering if the camera could be attached to the back seats/ roll bar...

Old 01-12-2017, 11:09 AM
DaGriz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bugeye1031
Sorry I wasn't clear...I have a Cabrio too.... Just wondering if the camera could be attached to the back seats/ roll bar...

I guess. Still have to tap into a wire somewhere. I was thinking if the foglight harness is there perhaps theres an empty hot wire already. If not I can splice into the backup or tail lights.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:25 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
When you open the tailgate, you can see the grommet at the center along the bottom edge.

Here's a photo of the inside of the tailgate, from 11 years ago when I installed the OEM backup camera. At the upper left you can see one of the fasteners that attaches the black trim panel. The panel just pops off. You can pick up a backup signal from the taillight.

Yea, it was cool back in the day and I wish they still had that camera. You are one of the few people i know that had it.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-13-2017, 10:18 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
I think I may try and modify the camera to fit the rear bumper insert (where the rear fog light goes) That may be the cleanest and easiest.
It really isn't that bad wiring to the license plate location. Pulling the interior panels to expose wiring may feel intimidating but doesn't involve much actual work.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:09 PM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I have a very similar setup in my '06 MCS. My rear window is tinted and gets a bit challenging to see through at night.

The entire system is powered via fused cigarette charger. I can turn the entire system on (the camera and WiFi transmitter) with a press of a single button. To make this system completely removable, I used an extension wire for the RCA/power. The cigarette power adapter powers the WiFi transmitter and the transmitter in turn, powers the camera.
I haphazardly tucked in the majority of the wiring in the plastic trim and the rest is in the glove compartment. (It's not pretty, but the entire system easily removable within 5 minutes of just removing the hatchback trim).

I had a cheap license plate camera and an old iPhone 4 laying around and it off-set the total price.

Here are the parts:

HitCar RCA DC Power Audio Video AV Extension Cable for CCTV Security, Car Tuck Bus Trailer Reverse Parking Camera (5 Meters)
WishRing Wifi Car Backup Camera Realtime Video Transmitter for iPhone HTC Android 903W
YHhao Waterproof HD Rear View Car Dash Camera (HSJ)
HitCar Car Motorbike 12V 24V Cigarette Lighter Power Supply Adapter Cable with Switch Button (1.2 Meters DC 2.1mm Cable)

The WiFi transmitter is compatible with iOS 7.2.1 and Android 4.0.

I used a ton of washers and a thick nut to mount the license plate camera. (I didn't want to drill any holes onto my trunk lid). I'm working on getting the appropriate sized bolts.

It's not a clean install, but I am 100% certain that it will not draw any phantom power from the Mini's tiny battery. Worse case, I can just unplug the the cigarette adapter.
I can see who's tail-gating me (even when it's pitch black) and I can record/take pictures of the rear (decent backup / DVR camera).

The following users liked this post:
CHRIS MARSHALL-DOWE (01-04-2020)

Search this Thread