R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Convertible to pick-up conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 10:26 AM
HyTech
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convertible to pick-up conversion

Getting my '05 convertible in shape, lots of parts replaced, water pump, radiator, thermostat, hoses, p/s pump (recall) and hoses, brakes, muffler, new clutch, alternator, A/C cmpressor, battery, brakes, coil (MSD) and lots of other stuff all in the last few months. Now, the top doesn't work. Dealer says sunroof cassette needs repalcement. Looking at parts prices; $6.000 for cassette not including labor, top fabric (when it needs it) $2,300 not including labor. You get the idea. I got to wondering. It's only me, so the two extra seats I don't really care about so, does anyone know anything about the pick up conversions?

Thanks.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:51 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
CORNFUSEDDD

You have a 'vert?

But mention a sunroof cassette????

and what 'pick up conversion'?

I've heard the hardtop's sunroof referred to as a cassette ... and also of the 'vert sunroof mode (partially open) but in this mixed context???? Does the 'vert top have a sunroof cas' component????

And, RED BULL made a bunch of semi-pick ups as promotional cars but I've never seen any sort of production conversion .... altho I do think it is an opportunity MINI is missing. The "classic Mini" did have a pickup version and today they are VERY valuable; right up there with genuine Cooper models ....

We already own a Roadster so we're ready for another 2 seat MINI .... bring me a pickup.

I'm ASKING not saying you are wrong .... fill in my blanks, please.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:40 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Conversion

A pickup conversion could be really cool. But, I'm still looking for the wienermobile conversion kit:

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:44 AM
HyTech
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I have a convertible. The dealer called it a sunroof cassette when referring to the forward, opening part of the top. I remember the Red Bull pick-ups and I see classic Mini pick ups at car shows so I got to wondering if someone knew more. I'm looking at figurig out how to do it myself, but the roll bar is an issue though it could be removed and replaced with a rigid bar.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:40 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I've seen pictures of some p/ups built from hard tops ....
in the early days of MC2 magazine ... when I subscribed

http://www.mc2magazine.com/