R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Electrical Issues? Dome light intermittent, Exterior lights, Dashboard Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 09:44 AM
dangaa
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Issues? Dome light intermittent, Exterior lights, Dashboard Failure

Hi Guys,

First thread so please bear with me. I couldn't find what I was looking for so I need to ask outright.

I have more than a couple issues with my 2008 MCS that have just started to manifest. I've been driving around for a couple weeks with the exterior light warning driving me crazy. I took it to the dealership, they scanned and said no bulbs were out. They couldn't pin point the problem so I left it as-is. A couple weeks later and voila the problem went away.

We've had a couple weeks of super dry weather, and just got a good dumping of rain yesterday. Low an behold the exterior light problem came back (both the left/right signals blink fast telling me that it's not just one bulb). But this time it's brought a couple problematic 'friends' with it. Now, the interior dome light and footwell lights intermittently go on/off while i'm driving. Can't seem to control it and it goes on and off as it pleases. Any ideas?

Next, I get the red mini cooper on a jack show up on the dash and all my signals, tach and lights go off on the interior/exterior (other than what looks like headlights). Lighting system failure?

I keep driving and the warnings go back and forth, lights comes back on, signals are available, then bam again they go off. All the while the chime and my dome/footwell lights are going on and off as if i'm in a disco. Went out this morning to check the exterior lights and they all seem to be working but I still have the exterior light warning.

Any suggestions? My car is obviously out of warranty and since I wasn't able to get much help diagnosing the last exterior lamp failure I'm weary to take it back to Mini.

Help!

Old 07-26-2015, 06:26 AM
JoeyC
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would almost tend to think that you have a pinched harness somewhere...that usually where you have multiple issues with wires going to ground. Who knows where though? My want to check under the bonnet, just make sure everything looks physically okay.

Just a thought...

Old 07-26-2015, 07:58 AM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take a peek for damp rug under the mats. Front and back. Look under dash for any signs of water leaking.

Only because you mentioned after the rain you may have wet control unit or harness.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 07-26-2015, 12:40 PM
dangaa
1st Gear
Thanks guys. I'll take a peek. I didn't notice anything off but I did notice a couple drops of rain from the sunroof when I started the car - nothing close to a major leak though.

I haven't changed any bulbs either which is really throwing me off.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:18 PM
dangaa
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Drivehard
Take a peek for damp rug under the mats. Front and back. Look under dash for any signs of water leaking.

Only because you mentioned after the rain you may have wet control unit or harness.

Took a look under the mats and voila, driver side front and rear mats are soaked. Did a little more searching and figured the drain tube must be loose and flooding the compartment and affecting the BCM.

Removed the side body trim and there is a pool of water under the thick foam. Wetvac'd it all, soaked up the mats and took apart the plug to the BCM. Lower portion of the connector pins were soaked in water and the plug itself was wet.

Went to the roof liner, removed sunroof trim along with the visor and pryed it open to expect to the drain plug loose but it wasn't.

Tested the drain with water to make sure it wasn't backed up. Water comes out from under the car.

So now I'm REALLY confused. Is there anything or anywhere else that could be flooding the driver side? I didnt see anything wet in the engine compartment or any obvious signs of water intrusion. How else could it be pooling?

Old 07-28-2015, 03:41 AM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dangaa
Took a look under the mats and voila, driver side front and rear mats are soaked. Did a little more searching and figured the drain tube must be loose and flooding the compartment and affecting the BCM. Removed the side body trim and there is a pool of water under the thick foam. Wetvac'd it all, soaked up the mats and took apart the plug to the BCM. Lower portion of the connector pins were soaked in water and the plug itself was wet. Went to the roof liner, removed sunroof trim along with the visor and pryed it open to expect to the drain plug loose but it wasn't. Tested the drain with water to make sure it wasn't backed up. Water comes out from under the car. So now I'm REALLY confused. Is there anything or anywhere else that could be flooding the driver side? I didnt see anything wet in the engine compartment or any obvious signs of water intrusion. How else could it be pooling?
GREAT. kinda. I'm glad you found the reason for the gremlin. Now you need to start to fix the cause.
A) that control unit MAY be toast. It may appear dry but the damage may have been done. Luckily it's fresh water we are talking about.
B) the padding on the rug needs to be dried batter. Take the front and rear seat out peel up the carpet as much as possible stick some blocks of wood in there and get a dehumidifier and let it run all day or at the minimum let it air dry like that for a while
C) could be rear sunroof drain.
D) could be poor windshield replacement
E) could be.a lot of things.
F) you will need to set up a hose with as much trim exposed inside or removed and find the leak while you watch and wait
G) treat and clean all surrounding contacts wires and ground spots.

Where is the BCM located in your car?is it in the left front footwell side panel?

Old 07-28-2015, 04:15 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
+1 on what Drivehard mentions...

best of luck.

Motor on!

Old 07-28-2015, 01:54 PM
dangaa
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Drivehard
GREAT. kinda. I'm glad you found the reason for the gremlin. Now you need to start to fix the cause.
A) that control unit MAY be toast. It may appear dry but the damage may have been done. Luckily it's fresh water we are talking about.
B) the padding on the rug needs to be dried batter. Take the front and rear seat out peel up the carpet as much as possible stick some blocks of wood in there and get a dehumidifier and let it run all day or at the minimum let it air dry like that for a while
C) could be rear sunroof drain.
D) could be poor windshield replacement
E) could be.a lot of things.
F) you will need to set up a hose with as much trim exposed inside or removed and find the leak while you watch and wait
G) treat and clean all surrounding contacts wires and ground spots.

Where is the BCM located in your car?is it in the left front footwell side panel?

Yes, on the left under the bonnet release.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:43 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
+1 D) could be poor windshield replacement

BCM, sounds like it needs replaced, make sure you have everything dry out. 61356982115

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...g-problem.html

Check all of those and that sunroof potion of the convertible top seals and is all the way close. Also that front main seal and window close all the way into it.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...eaking-in.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172