R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 How Can I Tell if My R52 Has DRLs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 07:36 PM
wrxnofx
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How Can I Tell if My R52 Has DRLs?

Just recently added a 2005 R52 to the household and trying to get acquainted with it. It seems as though the car does not come with DRLs as standard equipment. Is this correct? The car came with the original window sticker and there is no option for them.

Current functionality is as follows:
Position 0: All exterior lights off
Position 1: Parking lights on
Position 2: All lights on

In both positions 1 and 2, if you shut the car off and open the door, the chime sounds, alerting you to the fact that the lights are on and must manually be shut off.
In short, turning any lights on and off is manual, and the headlights only turn on at position 2. In the owners manual it says that the DRLs can be enabled/disabled via programming from the dealer.

Have my DRLs been deactivated by the dealer, or does this car just not have any?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Old 05-26-2015, 07:56 PM
Bearybee
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wrxnofx
Just recently added a 2005 R52 to the household and trying to get acquainted with it. It seems as though the car does not come with DRLs as standard equipment. Is this correct? The car came with the original window sticker and there is no option for them.

Current functionality is as follows:
Position 0: All exterior lights off
Position 1: Parking lights on
Position 2: All lights on

In both positions 1 and 2, if you shut the car off and open the door, the chime sounds, alerting you to the fact that the lights are on and must manually be shut off.
In short, turning any lights on and off is manual, and the headlights only turn on at position 2. In the owners manual it says that the DRLs can be enabled/disabled via programming from the dealer.

Have my DRLs been deactivated by the dealer, or does this car just not have any?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
It is a feature that can be turned on or off. I believe the US market Coopers in 05 did not have DRL standard. You can do the coding yourself and change this feature. Search for R52 coding. I have an R52 myself and want to code it so the top goes up and down my pressing the keys on the remote.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:13 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Yes... It is a user option but needs to be set by someone that has the code interface (they have to talk to your car).

Additional information: There are a number of Driver Option available on the car, the best way to find out is read the Owners Manual, if you don't have a copy you can download one from www.MINIUSA.com.

As for the top going up and down... I know it is standard that you can open the sunroof portion of the roof (and lower the windows) with the key fob, to open the convertible top, once the folding roof is open, release and and press the button again until the convertible top is fully open.

Other options include but are not limited to: Automatic Locking if none of the doors are opened, automatic locking after starting to drive, selective central locking system, Convenience operation, Follow me home lamps, DRLs, Speed-dependent wipers, Setting units for outside temperature and fuel consumption display, Volume control PDC, and Acoustic alarm for the PDC.

Motor on!

Last edited by JABowders; 05-27-2015 at 04:19 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:07 AM
wrxnofx
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JABowders
Yes... It is a user option but needs to be set by someone that has the code interface (they have to talk to your car).

Additional information: There are a number of Driver Option available on the car, the best way to find out is read the Owners Manual, if you don't have a copy you can download one from www.MINIUSA.com.
Thanks, JA. Yup, I grabbed a PDF of the owner's manual and have been running through that (the original one also came with the car).

From the owner's manual, forum posts, and other research I've done I figured it was a coding option. It sounds like the dealership will probably charge a fee for the 40 seconds of work to make the change.

Anyone here in Minneapolis have the code interface/laptop they are willing to use on my car?

Old 05-27-2015, 08:33 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Yea, its a coded thing. Some people have third party software that can do it. Others just go to the dealership and ask real nice and they turn it on or charge one hour. If you do get charged by the MINI dealership I would say get other items coded at the same time , like unlock door at shut off , follow me home lights a, list of other the MINI dealership can print out for you.

Good luck.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172