R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Convertible Top Latch Mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 08:42 PM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you've replaced your Convertible Top Latch Mechanism...!!?

***Please see the update below***

Anyone have a driver's side convertible top latch mechanism lying around? I can only find them for a ton of $$ and sold in drivers/passenger side pairs.

Mine broke while closing the sunroof portion of the convertible top at nearly 60 mph. I have not had any problems doing this in the past but perhaps it was the speed or there may have been a rock that somehow freakishly got lodged in the track.

Either way, I'm in the process of attempting to repair this thing with some JB Weld but I don't have high hopes based on how it broke...

I have a 2005 Mini Cooper S Convertible with 100,000 miles and am located in Central CA.

This is an example of the part I'm talking about.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-R52-Cooper-05-08-Convertible-Top-Sunroof-Mechanism-Set-with-Cables-GENUINE-/351367769838?hash=item51cf26aeee&vxp=mtr

Last edited by nomar116; 05-22-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:51 PM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Update - So the JB Weld was completely unsuccessful as I was afraid. I noticed that the glue flaked right off. The plastic is PTFE with 30% carbon reinforcement. This means even most plastic glues will be ineffective.

However, I purchased Loctite Plastic Bonder which is specifically advertised for gluing this kind of plastic. It appears to have done a great job and the joint is strong. Hopefully strong enough.

Unfortunately, one plastic rocker is not all that broke on the slider. Also the part that physically rides on the rail lost its padded foots on both the top and bottom. This may have something to do with how it broke in the first place. Unfortunately I am left trying to find a replacement footing AND hoping the glue holds on that joint.

So really I'm just in the market for one of these latches. Even a broken one might be just perfect for parts. We'll see how patient I can be, $450-500 is an awful lot for this part...

Old 05-13-2015, 01:56 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Sorry to hear the JB weld didn't hold up. Can take a look at our parts catalog and see what you can find for pricing. Otherwise, if you need any DIY assistance our tech articles might be able to help you out. Good luck!

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-14-2015, 08:41 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by nomar116
Update - So the JB Weld was completely unsuccessful as I was afraid. I noticed that the glue flaked right off. The plastic is PTFE with 30% carbon reinforcement. This means even most plastic glues will be ineffective.

However, I purchased Loctite Plastic Bonder which is specifically advertised for gluing this kind of plastic. It appears to have done a great job and the joint is strong. Hopefully strong enough.

Unfortunately, one plastic rocker is not all that broke on the slider. Also the part that physically rides on the rail lost its padded foots on both the top and bottom. This may have something to do with how it broke in the first place. Unfortunately I am left trying to find a replacement footing AND hoping the glue holds on that joint.

So really I'm just in the market for one of these latches. Even a broken one might be just perfect for parts. We'll see how patient I can be, $450-500 is an awful lot for this part...
Originally Posted by nomar116

Yea the JB weld does not work most of the time. Here is a list of parts for future reference. Some parts are only sold as a whole and other parts are individual.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tible-top.html

Those paddings are part of the Cables , which I think you are talking about.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-closing.html

Other Parts:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2005-Cooper-R52-S-Convertible-L4_1.6L_W11B16A/Exterior/Body/Convertible/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-17-2015, 12:57 AM
Vicky Madan
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone, Can you please help me identify this part of my convertible top ? I just tried to open my roof today and it opened until the sunroof and then stuck. I am no expert but tried to look around and found this piece broken. Attaching the pics, please let me know if they are not clear enough. Appreciate everyone's help. Thank you :-)

For some reason the images are only loading when opened a new tab. New to the site so still getting the hang of things. Sorry for creating so much confusion. Thanks again in advance for your help.

Last edited by Vicky Madan; 05-17-2015 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:45 PM
Vicky Madan
Neutral
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yea the JB weld does not work most of the time. Here is a list of parts for future reference. Some parts are only sold as a whole and other parts are individual.

Those paddings are part of the Cables , which I think you are talking about.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-closing.html

Other Parts:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2005-Cooper-R52-S-Convertible-L4_1.6L_W11B16A/Exterior/Body/Convertible/

Hello, Can you please review my post and let me know if you can identify the part for me, or if there are other things I should look into ? Appreciate your help. Thx.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:02 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Cant see your pics, use the attach button under [ GO advanced ] then you will see a little Paperclip icon. Or link photo using the little yellow box icon with two mountains and a sun/moon.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-18-2015, 10:19 AM
Vicky Madan
Neutral
Images attached.

Sorry about the images earlier, have attached them now. Please let me know if I can provide you more information to assist me further. Appreciate your help. Thank you :-)

Attached Thumbnails Convertible Top Latch Mechanism-akac_b0ukouo8bchapx69-amhcipc7vr7k0keqoxtlfg.jpg   Convertible Top Latch Mechanism-aq-7jd2yw31esi756gh9jiiu89gyxrrfhrd1xrukbx4.jpg   Convertible Top Latch Mechanism-asnrmoxqnzbj8op2esw14bn6aofzlzyfmdsysd1xmxqv.jpg  
Old 05-18-2015, 10:40 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Looks like these broke: On the one side.

Convertible Top Front Linkage - Pair " Front latches " Part # 54347174763

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/54347174763/

Those parts above are only sold in pairs , a left and a right side. Those parts need to slide easily , check for broken and damaged parts.

The thread linked above shows how to replace them. ON EARLY 2005 Production the short **** ends will need filed down as those older cars did not have the nubs. On later 2005+ direct replacement. Silver metal short **** going straight up will need filed down flat.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:15 AM
Vicky Madan
Neutral
Ok, got it. I'll go ahead and order the parts from your website. Was hoping I don't have to buy the whole set, but oh well, what can you do.

By the way, do you think I'll be able to do it myself if I follow those youtube videos in that thread ? I have never done any work on cars. Please let me know otherwise I'll have to give 300-400 to a mechanic as well.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:20 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Follow those videos and you will need those tools or access to them. If you have not worked on a cars before it might be a challenge.

1. Do you have tools ?
2. Do you know anymore who has worked on cars or a knows how to turn a wrench , that can help you or do it?

If not you might have to get a local place that deals with MINI/ BMWs or a good shop who works with convertible tops usually knows how to do this.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Vicky Madan
Neutral
Let me watch the video completely and see if I can manage myself, just to make sure the videos found in this thread are the ones you are referring to, right ?

Even though I haven't watched the video completely, but that guy seems to be taking apart the whole roof, do I need to take apart the whole convertible top system or is my repair going to be quicker and less intensive ? I remember reading a thread in this forum where the guys mentioned they were able to do the repair in 40-45 minutes. I just can't seem to find that thread.

I am so glad I found this forum, you are amazing and very helpful. Thanks again.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:53 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yes, But you will be dong those front latches only. I you put the top back into sunroof mode and the take the covers off you can access the latches, but since that one has snapped, you will have to unlatch one side with the button and other side manually. I say study the diagram and way it works.

I would get someone to help you who has worked on cars before for help - mechanical knowledge. Not something you want to test out on your own.

Good luck.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:55 AM
Vicky Madan
Neutral
I'll probably go that route. I watched the first part of the video and it looked complicated enough to seek for help. Thanks for answering all my questions. I have ordered the parts as well. Lets see how it goes.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:44 PM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Update...

I am hoping someone can come up with a solution to replacing the pads on this mechanism. Perhaps you have one you thought was junk lying around from a previous repair OR you are more creative than me and could think of a fix???

Last week I decided I wasn't going to be able to repair this part since it was broken in two places. I found a Mini parts supplier that was able to sell me a single mechanism for a reduced price! Boy was I excited...

Until I started the install just to realize this "brand new" sliding mechanism was ALSO missing the same pads I didn't have in the first place... These pads seem crucial as they hold they preserve stability in the slider as it moves along the rail. On the replacement they just aren't there!

I purchased this part from Mini World of Sun Valley, CA and am very unhappy. Their package was several days late AND as far as I can tell incomplete but I'll reserve judgement.

Here is a picture a CORRECT sliding mechanism. Notice by my hand how it has pads on both contacts where it slides along the rail of the convertible top. The pads near where my hand are MISSING on the OTHER side
Name:  IMG_20150522_183116678.jpg
Views: 1692
Size:  126.3 KB

Notice on the left of this image how there are no pads. You can see where there used to be pads but when the mechanism broke they came apart and fell off. Please note this is not the one Mini World actually sent me but gets the point across of what is missing!!
Name:  IMG_20150522_182714307_HDR.jpg
Views: 1585
Size:  122.4 KB

Old 05-26-2015, 05:36 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Looks like a used one , the new ones comes with the pads and everything and are sold in pairs ( new ), there was a redesign in the cables in 2006 from the 2005 version. The 2006 design is updated with those dual pads instead of a pad and a roller.

They are replaced in apris for the updated design and also incase one side is stretched.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:32 AM
Vicky Madan
Neutral
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yes, But you will be dong those front latches only. I you put the top back into sunroof mode and the take the covers off you can access the latches, but since that one has snapped, you will have to unlatch one side with the button and other side manually. I say study the diagram and way it works.

I would get someone to help you who has worked on cars before for help - mechanical knowledge. Not something you want to test out on your own.

Good luck.
Hello,

I'm back to bother you
So I got the latch repaired by a mechanic here. So when he put everything back together, he found out that one side of the roof (on the passenger's side) gets obstructed by the head rest on the back seat. Even though opening and closing of roof is working now, it is scratching the cloth on the top and back of the rear seat both ways. I'm afraid to open or close the top now since it is tearing apart the cloth on the top. Do you know what might be going wrong here ? Please let me know if I didn't explain properly what's going on.

Appreciate all your help !

Thanks.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:05 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Its ok, I am here to help.

Its the adjustment on the top ( sunroof ) , the sunroof has to slid back evenly on both sides. This right before the top moves back , both side move back again for a second or two. The sunroof portion then goes all the way back with the top. The front of the top then clears the rear roll over bars by a inch or two, then sets folded up in the back.

I think you need to have them reset the cables so the top it even when closed and perfectly even when the sunroof slides back, sounds like the adjustment it off and 1" on one side.

I would have them recheck the alignment. I would also have your local indy call local MINI dealership and have the talk to the service, they usually are very nice at explaining how it works , its best with a phone call to them.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:28 AM
Vicky Madan
Neutral
Thanks again for answering my questions. I'll talk to the guy and see where it goes. Do you think it can be an issue with the cable ? I remember he mentioned something about cable not being right. Hope that's not the case.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:40 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Welcome, yea, double check those cables. Did you order the cable set above or just the latches set ( lower part ) ?

Old 06-22-2015, 08:44 AM
Vicky Madan
Neutral
Only ordered the latches since those were visibly broken.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:59 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Ok, you could have issues with those upper cables latches also. Which it sounds like its not aligned. Two cables run together ( latches in the front ) and are driven by that overhead motor, if one cable separated ( from the main latch : which mean the sunroof function usually get jammed) , stretched, get stuck then jumped a tooth. They are off and if damaged, need replaced in pair. If they did the repair and just did not align them, that could be the issues. I will get those looked at asap.

I hope they went they did the repair then just did not align the cables, the sunroof function on both side show go back evenly .