R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Buying a former wrecked MINI, maybe

Old 04-19-2014, 07:58 PM
tooldye
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a former wrecked MINI!

Hey folks, I've been hunting for the last couple months and found what looks like a good deal, but thought I'd ask you experts if there is anything in particular I should look out for.

This is an '08 S manual convertible with very low miles (what I've been looking for). It has a salvage title, the guy buys a lot of wrecked cars and fixes them up, drives them and sells them. He's in the middle of nowhere and not near any MINI or BMW shop. I will insist that we go about 30 miles away to get it up on a lift so I can look carefully underneath.
I've done a lot of research and know the typical things to look for, but this car was rear ended on the driver side. The dealer tells me that you can't tell, cosmetically (which I don't care too much), and he said there was no frame damage, the car drives straight. He says the only issue is that the airbag light came on when someone put it on a lift to repair the exhaust.

I plan to rent a car and drive several hours to go check it out on Monday or Tuesday. I know I'll need to make sure the top works well, and of course see how it drives, check the usual things like motor mounts, oil leaks, bushings, etc., but anything else?

He wants about $3K - $5K less than it would be if it had never been wrecked (marked on title). I'm not too worried about resale value, I plan to drive it into the ground. And I'm hoping that will take a long time.

Last edited by tooldye; 04-23-2014 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Bought it!
Old 04-20-2014, 01:41 AM
mini on
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At most it is only worth half of book. Be afraid.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:55 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
At some point after you've 'driven it into the ground' you will be selling the car and when you do you will get about 1/2 what a similar clean title car would get. Be sure to factor that in if and when you buy it.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:19 AM
rataczak
3rd Gear
I would question the fact of no frame damage! I would walk away from this one!

Old 04-21-2014, 01:14 PM
patchelect
3rd Gear
OTOH, if he does in fact drive it into the ground, what would a clean title car be worth?

But I agree that salvage title is only worth 1/2 a good title car. Then again, if you find someone who doesn't care either, it might be worth more when you are ready to sell.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:07 PM
Aspen
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The common discount for an accident is about 30%. For salvage it is more. Salvage means the car was written off so it had to be pretty bad, more than just a bumper and corner. Salvage is a whole other deal IMHO especially if a flood car. I think I would pass.
Don't believe the BS about the airbag light. The common failure for the airbag is the passenger seat and the fix is VERY expensive. Like $1200 or more just for that. Putting a car on a lift has nothing to do with the airbag unless they dropped it from the lift.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:41 PM
tooldye
1st Gear
Thanks for the replies and opinions. Looks like it has never flooded. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. His wife has driven it 2K miles since the repair, so the original tires might indicate if it's got alignment issues. He claims it should not have been a salvage vehicle.

If anyone has more info about the airbag light, please respond. I will research if I get a chance. I'm taking it to a mechanic who should be able to read the codes, can the light maybe be reset? If it's on, will the airbag not deploy? Sorry, I don't know much about airbags, as I've driven mostly old cars.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:43 PM
Pno2nr
4th Gear
I wouldn't buy a salvage title car unless it was a dump runner pick up. Stay away. The resale will be nada.

Dump runners are just that. The last trip will be to drop it off if it still runs. Mini's cost too much to do the salvage title thing. Walk away and find a good one.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:36 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd pass, no reason to even look at this one.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:42 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
I assume you're paying cash for the car? Here in AZ, you can't get comprehensive insurance on a salvage title auto..

Old 04-21-2014, 05:47 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tooldye
Thanks for the replies and opinions. Looks like it has never flooded. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. His wife has driven it 2K miles since the repair, so the original tires might indicate if it's got alignment issues. He claims it should not have been a salvage vehicle.

If anyone has more info about the airbag light, please respond. I will research if I get a chance. I'm taking it to a mechanic who should be able to read the codes, can the light maybe be reset? If it's on, will the airbag not deploy? Sorry, I don't know much about airbags, as I've driven mostly old cars.
Does this guy have photos of what it was like before the repairs. That would give you some idea of how bad it was.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:50 PM
tooldye
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Does this guy have photos of what it was like before the repairs. That would give you some idea of how bad it was.
Unfortunately, no.

I'm really thinking I can tell if there is any significant damage by driving it and looking underneath, carefully, and maybe checking the alignment on a machine.

The way I look at it, if it checks out, I will save $5,000 and if I keep it for a long time, will come out ahead in the end.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:41 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Salvage= totaled....
Anybody who thinks they can fix cars cheaper than insurance companies calculate it will cost to fix without CUTTING SOME MAJOR CORNORS is crazy unless they are working for free....
Body shops do insurance jobs at DEEPLY discounted rates, most can use salvage parts, and fix cars to be as safe as BEFORE THE WRECK....
Now if you don't mind driving around him a death trap....it might not be insurable in some cases....go for it....
I would run....
His story about an airbag light coming on during exaust work is either a complete lie at best, or points to a possible wiring issue ....sure could be a $900 seat bottom.... But could be a chafed wire from the body flexing....
One more tip....
Modern cars have NO FRAMES... some pickup trucks and body on frame SUV'S, but not cars... Cars are UNIBODY....that could BE BENT TO HELL...BUT BY SAYING NO FRAME DAMAGE, HE CANNOT BE SUED...cause there is no frame....
Sounds like a slick fella....

Old 04-21-2014, 07:48 PM
tooldye
1st Gear
I know you're probably right. I get the feeling this guy is honest, but I will do what I can to verify it. I must check it out, in the case that it's a great deal. I've test driven several and think I should be able to tell by watching it drive, driving it and looking it over carefully with a mechanic if there's any real problems. I will probably get him to know a grand off because of the airbag light.
I just can't pass up the possibility that I might get the car I want with 11K miles and $5 or $6K below a comparable (non-wrecked) one.
I am not sane, by the way.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:56 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just exactly how cheap is this MINI? It would have to be really cheap before I would even think about it. The whole reason there are salvaged titles now a days is because of people buying them and just patching them together and doing a shabby job.. Most would make them look good but rarely pay any attention to the hidden damage like the unibody under carriage..

Old 04-21-2014, 08:08 PM
tooldye
1st Gear
$11,900 Blue book puts it at over $17,000

Old 04-21-2014, 08:47 PM
DeanLinAZ
1st Gear
Run, don't walk, to the nearest exit!! There are too many nice, low mileage Minis out there to gamble your hard earned cash on a questionable, at best, salvaged Mini with yet unknown problems to be found at your home, not the seller's.

Good luck, either way.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:52 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tooldye
$11,900 Blue book puts it at over $17,000
Something tells me you just want this car! ha ha.. The only thing I can say is go into this very cautious.. that's really the best advice one could give.. Ive done a few repairables. But that was years ago when you could pick them up reasonable then.. There just is no money in it once they stared to stamp the titles. Look it over good because once you buy it..its your baby.. I would bring your "A" game and beat him up on the price as much as you can..good luck! keep us posted on what you do! Cheers!

Old 04-21-2014, 09:40 PM
mini on
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mini on
At most it is only worth half of book. Be afraid.
What the heck I am going to just quote myself.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:44 AM
tooldye
1st Gear
Well, I bought it. Test drove it and looked it over closely while on a lift. Had it hooked up to a machine and everything checked out, including the airbag (reset and the light has not come back on).

The car seems brand new. Very little damage, besides a dent in the muffler that you can't see unless it's in the air and it doesn't seem to affect the performance.
Drove it home 7 hours, the first half pretty aggressively through the Ozark hills. It did great. I am very happy and feel like I got a great deal.

If there are any new developments, I will add them to this thread.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:41 PM
tooldye
1st Gear
Still performing as a new car, with just 12k miles. No problems. No regrets. My only fear is the police.