R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 HELP Technical assistance needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Terryr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP Technical assistance needed

Fairly new to the Forum, as I only recently purchased my 2006 Mini Cooper Convertible (Auto). I was working on my car last weekend on my drive, actually just fitting a new Hood stripe and Side Decal. When completed I got in the car turned the key, ABSOUTELY NOTHING happened, apart from a clicking sound from within the drivers door. The only lights to come on were the Airbag light and the convertible top lights located at the top of the windscreen surround. Not been able to start it since then.
Hope to get the battery & alternator checked tomorrow, BUT failing that, and me knowing little about these BMW Minis, looks like an auto electricians job to me. If anyone can give me a clue, it would be much appreciated. Also which would also be of help would be any recommended contacts for a Houston Mobile Auto Electrician. I am located in the Route 6/Lille York area of the town. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:05 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would charge your battery.. It sounds like it might be that. If it works after a good charge then replace your battery. MINIs seem to do very strange things when the battery gets weak! Good luck!

Old 04-18-2014, 01:52 AM
Terryr
1st Gear
Thanks for the Feedback

Originally Posted by ZIPPY "S"
I would charge your battery.. It sounds like it might be that. If it works after a good charge then replace your battery. MINIs seem to do very strange things when the battery gets weak! Good luck!
From previous experience, if I even think it is a battery problem, I will replace. Many motorists like to ignore the fact that the life of a battery is only 4-5 years. In the past with my cars, its often one of the first things I do, but as I say, only had the car for a couple of months, and as it is my weekend plaything, not really got around to it yet. Will check back Later if I resolve.
I also thought it MAY have been some peculiar Mini thing ?????
Thanks again

Old 04-18-2014, 05:01 AM
jake1
1st Gear
Battery on my 2007 cabrio went a couple months ago - sounds identical to your description. Bet you need a new battery.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:12 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
MY Guess...
The battery was weak...
And sitting (maybe with the radio on) doing the stripe install was the last straw....
I'd test it first....
A jump might take a few minutes...folks sometime make the mistake of trying to crank as soon as they hookup....but with a flat battery soaking up the current, it MAY take 5 or 10 minutes depending on the guage of the jumper cables, to get a start....

Old 04-18-2014, 07:18 AM
jake1
1st Gear
I'm assuming your battery is the original from 2006. Even if it will hold enough charge to turn the engine over, do you want to trust it to not strand you somewhere? In my case, I was actually parked at an AutoZone store buying another part when I got the click-click-click death rattle. They tested the battery right there and I bought a new one as a result of negative test results. Couldn't believe the luck ....

Old 04-18-2014, 08:50 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
FWIW Might be prudent to check for tight ground wires in the battery compartment and engine bay-located below and forward of the motor mount on the passenger side.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:36 PM
Terryr
1st Gear
Originally Posted by buzzsaw
FWIW Might be prudent to check for tight ground wires in the battery compartment and engine bay-located below and forward of the motor mount on the passenger side.
BUZZSAW you got it. Removed the battery,(Lifting out of the battery compartment was a fete, used Mole Grips on one of the posts) took it to Autozone, who tested and found it fully charged. My first thought was #$#$$ I now have a problem to solve, as the battery testing had eliminated the battery and alternator NOT to be at fault. Took the battery home and connected back up, AND just out of curiosity put the key in and it started up. Turned off & on 4-5 times with NO problem. It would appear that the battery posts just needed cleaning and coating with Vaseline. My using the mole grips on the post cleaned the post enough for it to gain contact,
THANKS guys for the assistance, This is what car clubs are all about, helping each other. GREAT STUFF,