R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Blew my non H/K speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:59 PM
06BLKchrgd
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blew my non H/K speakers

As the title of the post says, I blew my non Harman Kardon speakers.
I believe its only the front 2 door speakers, not the back ones.

What are the best replacement options?
and can I just replace the front or do I need to do the back ones as well.

Also how hard of a job is it, really not too good with the electrical side of things.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Since you don't have the HK option, your choices are very good for replacements. IMO replace both door speakers and tweeters to keep the sound balanced. You really don't need to replace the back ones IMO if they are OK. A good place to look for some options is crutchfield.com Good luck

Old 08-11-2013, 08:40 PM
AutoCoarsen
3rd Gear
Received 116 Likes on 58 Posts
Both my front door woofers were dead when I got my car. The cheapest option I found were Kenwood KFC-1354S. I think they were about $25 shipped on eBay plus another $10 or so for the adapters. Nothing fancy, but they work. And I'd bet they are just as good as the stock speakers.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:01 PM
bshapperd
Neutral
Any brand of speaker will suffice provided they are similar diameter. Definitely get a set of aftermarket adapter rings. My stereo shop suggested I replace the tweeters also - installation requires some modification for fitment, unfortunately. You may find an OEM used set on this site or Ebay which are direct replacements and require no mods.

Youtube has some visual instructions for door-card removal. I imagine a google search will uncover more installation tips.

Good luck; it's an aggravating install.

B

Old 08-12-2013, 01:55 AM
06BLKchrgd
2nd Gear
Damn ok, so it looks like there are a lot of options for the door speakers out there.
But is it a difficult install?
What do u guys think, do I need to take it to a stereo shop?

I really would like to save the labor costs and do it myself though

What size are the speakers exactly?

Old 08-12-2013, 02:27 AM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 06BLKchrgd
But is it a difficult install?
What do u guys think, do I need to take it to a stereo shop?

I really would like to save the labor costs and do it myself though
Have a look at this (link below) Getting the door panel off is easy. I put some masking tape over a butter knife so it wouldn't scratch anything.

I was really afraid that I would break the plastic clips, but they popped out and snapped back in without a problem. After removing armrest, reflector, and all the screws. I started at the bottom, stuck my butter knife between the door card and the metal of the door, slid it over till it was right next to one of the plastic clips, twist/gently pry "pop", go to the next one. Do the ones on the bottom first, pull it out from the door on the bottom, then there were a couple in the middle I think, and lastly the clips at the top on the window I didn't need to pry, they're a different kind, hold the door card out from the door a few inches at the bottom, and kinda push up a little. -you'll see, easy. Oh, and youll have to unplug the courtesy puddle light inside the door card too. Putting it back together, just feed your door unlock button through the hole first, snap the window sill part at the top, make sure the clips are meeting the holes, bump it with the palm of your hand, and each one pops in.
The speakers have like 4 Phillips screws, then there's a clip on the back for the wire connection, push the tab, pull it off. I'd just pull the speaker out, take it to a stereo shop so you can make sure the adapter ring is the right depth, and the magnet on the speaker of your choice is shallow enough for the window to open/close. You may need adapter for the wire clips too, if they're not more than a few bucks, I'd do it,... Unless you are going to solder on some nice gold connectors (female tabs), it's not worth cutting off the origional wiring.. But that part is just me

So here's a link (I know you don't have HK, but the door card comes out the same way far as I know).
http://www.jwardell.com/mini/hkdoor.html#panel

Old 08-13-2013, 07:28 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
The front lower door speaker for the Base system " non harman kardon" are here

You will know if you blew one of the front speakers with a popping noise or distortion at louder volume. You can tune the stereo on and open the door then listen to the lower speaker itself. That way you will not hear the rear speaker or the other door speaker. Check them one by one. This can also be done the same way for the H/K ones.

#1 in diagram Loudspeaker For Stock Systems - Front - Priced Each Part number 65139143271

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/65139143271/ES182024/

For removal is a good link above from AlexQS & the diagram, once the door car is removed its the 4 screws and the plug connection on the back of the speaker.

Check the tweeter and rear while you are at it, I zone off each speaker and listen for popping / distortion just to make sure its nothing else. The lower speaker are known for door rattles. That's why the new ones come with thick foam.

Here is the rest of the speakers for reference.

#2 in diagram Tweeter For Stock Systems - Front part number 65139143242

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/65139143242/

#3 in diagram Loudspeaker For Stock Systems - Rear part number 65139143242 "6x9" for hardtop R50 R53. Convertible ( R52 ) have the front lower door speaker for the rear side panel.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/65139143270/

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-13-2013, 07:07 PM
06BLKchrgd
2nd Gear
Awesome, thank you guys for the help.

Will tackle this project really soon!

Old 08-14-2013, 05:13 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Great,

Glad I could help. I know the front lower speaker come with the foam on the front and the seal on the back to insulate vibrations.

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172