R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 06:26 PM
HyTech
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't know of the glow.

I found this morning, because it was cccoooolllddd, that I have heated mirrors. BUT, last night I discovered that when you lock yourself in the trunk the little handle in there glows in the dark. Just one of those absurd Mini details.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:06 PM
gdwrench
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Rawhyde
The key recharges its transmitter when it's in the ignition switch on 05 and newer.

The UNLOCK button when held in will roll down all the windows and open the sunroof unless it has been de-activated.

The glovebox is refrigerated.

When you initially turn on the headlights, they'll be on low beam regardless of how they were when last turned off. The foglights are likewise off.

The controls on the automatic A/C are shaped like the MINI wings.

The annoying self-locking doors can be de-activated.

Daytime running lights can be programmed on or off per the owner's wishes.

When you activate the defroster, the rear defroster comes on as well.

There is a "pull ring" tucked under the rear seat to open the boot if there is an electrical failure.

There is a little toolkit included with the MINI.

There is a little tool to manually close the sunroof in case of an electrical failure.

The interior lights (or any other accessory) switches off after 15 minutes with the key off to prevent killing the battery.

The brake lights don't work without the key in the ignition.

The radio may turn off when you turn the key off, but you can turn it right back on without the key in the ignition.

The rear parcel shelf is designed to rest right behind the front seats upside down when it is removed from it's normal place.

There is an emergency release for the fuel door in the portside storage cubby hole in the boot.

All wipers can be lifted off the windshields, and they'll stay in the up position to keep them from freezing to the glass.

If parked with auto wipers ON, they'll be OFF when you start the car the next time. You must turn them off then back on to use them. (In case the wipers freeze to the glass)

Are these the types of odd facts you were looking for?

Rawhyde
Ok, mine will not do this ... I can get the window(s) to close but, not open. How can this be "re-activated" ??

Old 03-11-2015, 02:11 AM
scf
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
That has to be changed in the ECU. Search for NCSExpert.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:06 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Rawhyde
The rear parcel shelf is designed to rest right behind the front seats upside down when it is removed from it's normal place.

If parked with auto wipers ON, they'll be OFF when you start the car the next time. You must turn them off then back on to use them. (In case the wipers freeze to the glass)

Are these the types of odd facts you were looking for?

Rawhyde
It always bugged me to have to reset the auto wipers, but never knew the reason. I just thought it was bad programming on MINI's part. Wish there was a way to change this since there's little chance of them freezing to the windshield on the CA coast.

I'll have to check out how the parcel shelf fits behind the seats.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:33 PM
Motopat
Neutral
Pretty cool

Originally Posted by MR ECON
If you touch the key to your chin or cheek while pressing the unlock button, the key will unlock your MINI from a much greater distance.
I do this quite often in the summer to vent the car prior to getting in.
On a similar topic, someone mentioned that '05 and newer charge the key while in the ignition. Either my '03 does it as well or it is a miracle; I have never even thought about changing my battery and I am the only owner.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:10 PM
BlackBetty12
Neutral
Party Mode

Has anybody mentioned this thing you didn't know on this massive thread. I made at through about 10 pages. I've heard some people say it's a myth but my R60 definitely has "party mode" or "disco mode" for what it's worth. I think its kinda cool for passengers. This mood lighting continuously goes through the color spectrum until you deactivate. Even when you get back in the next day, it's still going.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:58 PM
ShipM8
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
My R56 has the party-mode. Hold the upper right toggle for a few seconds and it kicks in. My daughter loves it.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:32 PM
BlackBetty12
Neutral
In the R60 it's the second roof toggle from the right. Is hold in for a few seconds and watch it go! May take a couple tries but the cheap thrill is def worth it. My wife's not as amused as me. It doesn't take much

Old 06-13-2015, 10:35 AM
rphox2003
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks but this thread is for 1st Gens - R50 and R53. So I don't think think the options/functions discussed here apply to your newer models. I KNOW your options don't apply to my R50. Hopefully I'll be able to update soon to something a little newer.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:45 AM
BlackBetty12
Neutral
Glad to KNOW. Excuse me please, I was redirected to this thread via 3rd party site. Didn't pay attention to the forum header. My first was the same as yours 2006, white roof and rims, purchased 2010. I rescued her from a used car lot but the "upgrade bug" was buzzing after a couple years. Six months after title ownership I traded for a used R60 black on black with black rims, right before I got married (I needed a family car/SUV right?). I feel like I passed down the MINI love to someone else who'd appreciate it. My point is, it's fun to window shop and like you I can't afford new; but when you pull said trigger, the feeling of the state-of-the-art masterpiece is priceless, at half the price

Old 06-13-2015, 12:12 PM
rphox2003
3rd Gear
The KNOW emphasis was from envy. I'm dying for a newer model but the economics just don't allow it right now.

Although I've read in a few places that the 1st Gens are the "true" Mini experience, I feel my R50 is outdated in the gauge and style departments. And the CVT issue is always in the back of my mind.

BTW, my wheels are standard Mini, not white. I'd like to go with black, but -- see previous comment about economics.

Either way, I've had my Justa for 2.5 years and still smile whenever I'm behind the wheel.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:25 PM
BlackBetty12
Neutral
I'm truly glad you're enjoying it. I just needed something with a little more practicality, mainly 4 doors. I dogged the ish outta my 06 and grew to loathe the white roof. To this day though I still get "is that your little car out there? " Every now again I miss my little Shoop-ba-Coupe

Old 07-21-2015, 05:42 AM
Teh
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rphox2003
Although I've read in a few places that the 1st Gens are the "true" Mini experience
I think that many of those people would be referring to the R53.... Because supercharger whine
On a serious note, fuel economy isn't something to look for in a "sports" car. R50's kinda included *although, I get 27-35mpg average on my MCS*

They're a foreign car, they have... less than stellar reliability, but you'll never get that Smile-per-gallon back with any other car!

Old 07-21-2015, 11:24 AM
rphox2003
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Teh
I think that many of those people would be referring to the R53....
Thanks for turning the knife in my back just a little bit more..

BTW, I'm getting 27-29 mpg in my R50 depending on how I feel. I don't think it's that bad considering I was only getting about 30 mpg in the Daihatsu Sirion that I owned before the Mini.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:44 PM
Teh
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rphox2003
Thanks for turning the knife in my back just a little bit more..

BTW, I'm getting 27-29 mpg in my R50 depending on how I feel. I don't think it's that bad considering I was only getting about 30 mpg in the Daihatsu Sirion that I owned before the Mini.
Ahahaha. That's not that bad, actually. I think it's time for an upgrade to a JCW for you.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:16 AM
MINI_Jason
1st Gear
I think that the supercharger whine is/was just an addiction. The feel and the responsiveness of the handling is the source of the the joy and MINI experience.

When the airbags deploy, the flashers are turned on and the engine is disabled...

Something else that was probably already shared, is the front rotors and calipers from the 2nd gen Cooper S is the same size as the 1st gen JCW front brakes.

My R53 was great. I bought it used with 40k on it and "sold" it to my insurance company with a little over 70k. I drove it like I stole it with 0 reliability issues. The flywheel was changed to the dual mass unit under warranty and the clutch was changed at the same time for just the cost of parts.

Now I have a R52 that is in dire need of an engine and transmission. However I still wouldn't call that a reliability issue. Unless leaving a car in first and flat towing it on the highway is a reliability issue. I am thinking that it saw in excess of 14k RPMs as it was coming apart. No I wasn't the guy kicking himself (repeatedly) for leaving it in gear.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:12 PM
Drumsound
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Motor On
Even if you don't have the OBC the tach display still comes with the avg, kph, mpg, range displays built-in
What's the trick to get these readings? I hit the button and it toggles from temp to speedo.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:17 AM
josco
Neutral
The point of this thread seems to be the sharing cool little-known facts about your MINI. I'm just going to share my embarrassment of not knowing that sunroofs drain through the car and that you have to clean them periodically. Mine are clogged now with lots of standing water in the tray, but thanks to google and this forum I am now enlightened and will be attempting to unclog them!

Old 12-13-2015, 09:48 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Drumsound
What's the trick to get these readings? I hit the button and it toggles from temp to speedo.
need it coded by the dealer.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:22 PM
Unbreakable Lump
2nd Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
I didn't read through 84 pages, but here's one you probably haven't heard. The pistons in your engine are interference fit by 5 microns nominally when built! That anti-friction skirt coating is a proprietary Mahle formula called grafal, that contains graphite and is silk screened onto the skirt to a 20 micron thickness (each side). The piston to bore clearance to parent metal on the piston skirt is 35 microns. The grafal coating is very slippery and pliable so it's possible to assemble them with a small interference fit. It wears in very quickly, keeps friction down and prevents piston skirt scuffing. And because of such a small clearance to parent metal, piston slap is eliminated, even with the short piston skirts of the Tritec engine.

The following users liked this post:
BuffMyRadius (01-07-2021)
Old 01-20-2016, 01:10 PM
Smitha6
3rd Gear
Maybe someone can answer something I don't know!

Why does the rear window wiper have 2 washer settings? I spin the **** down and it washes. I spin the **** up once and lithe rear wiper stays on (which is annoying, why isn't it intermittent). And if I spin up from the on position it's another wash.

Why? Seems dumb.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:24 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by Unbreakable Lump
I didn't read through 84 pages, but here's one you probably haven't heard. The pistons in your engine are interference fit by 5 microns nominally when built! That anti-friction skirt coating is a proprietary Mahle formula called grafal, that contains graphite and is silk screened onto the skirt to a 20 micron thickness (each side). The piston to bore clearance to parent metal on the piston skirt is 35 microns. The grafal coating is very slippery and pliable so it's possible to assemble them with a small interference fit. It wears in very quickly, keeps friction down and prevents piston skirt scuffing. And because of such a small clearance to parent metal, piston slap is eliminated, even with the short piston skirts of the Tritec engine.
Nice, like the engine info. Teflon coated very thin would be too much?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-20-2016, 05:52 PM
Unbreakable Lump
2nd Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Hi ECS. I'm not quite clear on your question. The skirt coating is a proprietary Mahle blend that contains graphite. It might have teflon in it, I just don't know. These coatings are extremely thin but surprisingly durable. I've seen very high mileage engine with pistons removed that still have a lot of the coating on them. I know that the base engine clearances are exactly as I reported above. I don't have the data on the supercharged engine. Clearance might have been slightly higher (very slightly, like maybe 10 microns, but not much).

Old 01-21-2016, 05:39 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Hello just thinking is a very thin lever of telfon would do the same thing. Then wear off, like the SC coating.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-26-2016, 04:21 AM
Smitha6
3rd Gear
I didn't know how tough these little cars were! Got hit yesterday (after owning my Mini for a little over a month and under 1000mi) and the car that I hit got messed up compared to my Mini. Granted, it's still totaled, but wow!

P.S.- I was not at fault, he turned left across traffic into my lane.

Attached Thumbnails Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI-w1.jpg   Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI-w4.jpg   Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI-w5.jpg   Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI-w6.jpg   Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI-w7.jpg  

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI