R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 09:12 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blalor
Well, that's the case if you use the boot release button on the remote, but not if you use the regular unlock button. The doors will re-lock, however, if you don't open *anything* within two minutes.

The auto re-lock a programmable feature, something I had wanted de-activated but I think it was over-looked

Something people may not know: the navigation has a search feature so you can look up places and not just consult the index list. Came in very handy when driving around in unfamiliar territory this weekend and I was desperate for a strong iced coffee - did a search on 'star' and could see all the Starbucks in range (yeah yeah, I know Starbucks is scourge of the earth but they are the only place I can rely on getting iced coffee when I need it ).

Old 02-13-2006, 09:40 AM
jdmarino
4th Gear
this is me.

Originally Posted by chows4us
3. If you turn off that radio, roll down the windows and listen closely ... he/she WILL sing to you (be careful here because this can become addictive and you might dump all your CDs and Ipod widgets).
I shelled out for the H/K, but I really like listening to the engine/exhaust. I definitely feel more unity with the car.

I find that when the stereo is on, I have to look at the tach more, so the stereo is a double distraction.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:58 AM
ja ME s
2nd Gear
i don't know if this is just a MINI thing or not but i really like that the footwell lights come on when you turn on the center overhead light (the one above your shoulder). I have EZPass now but this would have been very handy before those days whenever i dropped my ticket or change under my feet.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:20 AM
dredpyrt
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Things you didnt know

I was going over the manual for my 06 and in the outside mirror section it describes the operation of the power folding mirrors. What package gets you those?

Old 02-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dredpyrt
I was going over the manual for my 06 and in the outside mirror section it describes the operation of the power folding mirrors. What package gets you those?
The package in England, Europe or Japan. For their narrow roads.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:56 AM
become1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ja ME s
I have EZPass now but this would have been very handy before those days whenever i dropped my ticket or change under my feet.
speaking of EZpass, if you have the double sunroof you can stash/stick your transponder to the glass in the nook where the screen latches on the rear sunroof.
no reason to have an ugly transponder on your windshield! it works well since the nose of the MINI is pretty short and the windshield is kinda vertical

Old 02-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Rowan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Buckeye Rob
I do that in front of my wife when we're walking to the car in a parking lot all the time and she says that's B.S. but I tell you, it works - on all remotes, not just MINI's!
I agree, but very few people believe.

Old 02-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Rowan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bilbo-Baggins
As far as I know.
The 3rd FM band is FMA on mine.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:20 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LombardStreet
Is that an '06 thing? This only happens on my '05 if I have locked the doors and then used the button on the key-remote to unlock the hatch. When I close the hatch again, the taillights flash. But if the car is unlocked, the taillights don't flash.
From the Nothing Better To Do department: I just checked and both the side indicators and rear lights flash, when you use the fob to open just the hatch (Standing behind your MINI you might never notice the side indicators thing). The "main" unlock button (1x for driver only, 2x for everything) will flash 6 lights total, the rears, sides, and front parking lights.

Also, did anybody else's twisted brain equate ONE flash with the one-syllable word "lock", and TWO flashes with two-syllable "unlock"?? (it's ok if that's just my own warped way of listening to what the MCS is "saying").

Tatt

Old 02-13-2006, 07:59 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MR ECON
If you touch the key to your chin or cheek while pressing the unlock button, the key will unlock your MINI from a much greater distance.
I first read of that effect here on NAM and used it a few times when I was walking away from the car and wasn't sure if I had locked it. Now I do it all the time whether I need to or not -- probably looks pretty silly to those not in the know!

This is actually an example of your sinus cavity "at work". If you find that this effect is especially strong for you -- and you can carry a tune -- consider taking some voice lessons and seek out a local choir!

Old 02-13-2006, 08:24 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minims
I first read of that effect here on NAM and used it a few times when I was walking away from the car and wasn't sure if I had locked it.
So far, my singing in the shower hasn't opened my dual pane panoramic sunroof ... Just wanted to mention that when you do the nose trick, you might want to be within eyesight of at least the lights (that flash once when you lock the car), so you don't accidentally open the doggone thing with your nose, just as the thunderheads are gathering overhead when you're walking into work in the morning...

Don't worry I don't shower with my keys,
Tatt

Old 02-13-2006, 09:43 PM
MINI-IZED
2nd Gear
Here are two things I have found interesting:
1. If your driver door is open you can’t press the lock button on the door down (haven’t tried this on the passenger side).
2. If you have auto AC and press and hold the defrost button, instead of it blowing on the front defroster full blast and turning on the rear defroster, it will only move air from your feet to the front defroster. Press and hold again and it will return back to the previous setting.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:37 AM
PEP
Coordinator ::Bluegrass Minis
Originally Posted by tattman23
Also, did anybody else's twisted brain equate ONE flash with the one-syllable word "lock", and TWO flashes with two-syllable "unlock"?? (it's ok if that's just my own warped way of listening to what the MCS is "saying").

Tatt
YES!
That's also how I remembered the beeps on my wife's car (not a MINI) since the lettering rubbed off the key fob.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 02-14-2006, 10:20 AM
CoryB
3rd Gear
If you turn the car off and realize you forgot to roll a window all the way up, just push up on the window switch and the window will roll up. You can also roll them down this way. It only works before you open a door though.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:38 AM
krenzkes
4th Gear
This sounds like it couldn't be true but I have tried it and it works.

If you lock your keys in the car and you have your cell phone call your wife/spouse and have then push the unlock on the key while you hold your phone near the door and the door lock will open. May take a few tries and you may have to move along the side of the car with your phone but it will work without having to brine ght espare keys to the car.

Big time saver.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:51 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Someone would have to prove that one to me. I don't believe the
speaker in a cellphone is capable of reproducing radio frequencies,
which is what is required to communicate with the car.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:59 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
Krenzkes, do you sell MINI keys for a living? Or those long thin bars ("slim jims") that the cops (and car burglars) use? RF over a cell phone?

I am skeptical, but curious,
Tatt

Old 02-14-2006, 12:08 PM
ja ME s
2nd Gear
This is a little off topic but as long as we are experimenting with our cell phones try this one i pulled off the howstuffworks website. It gives you instructions on how to boil an egg using 2 cell phones and an AM/FM radio.

http://www.wymsey.co.uk/wymchron/cooking.htm

someone remind me not to talk on 2 cell phones while in the presence of a radio!!

Old 02-14-2006, 12:29 PM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ja ME s
This is a little off topic but as long as we are experimenting with our cell phones try this one i pulled off the howstuffworks website. It gives you instructions on how to boil an egg using 2 cell phones and an AM/FM radio.
HEY!!! A purpose for all the useless cell phones at the Dragon!

Old 02-14-2006, 12:44 PM
krenzkes
4th Gear
I was skeptical at first and since I'm in Missouri I had to have someone show me that it worked, which it did. We tested it with a Honda Pilot, Toyota Camry, Ford F-150, Oldsmobile Cutless, and my MINI one night, it worked on all of them.

I'm a retired USMC Intel guy and have worked as a Reserve Dep. Sheriff. I don't have anything to do with keys or anything else related with this stuff but I heard this could be done with a cell phone and tried it myself and it worked. It is nice to know if you make a mistake and lock your keys in the car that you don't have to get a spare set to open them or pay a locksmith to get in, try the cell phone route first and you may save a lot of time and money. I've been told not all cars will open but the variety of vehicle we used were representative of different manufacturers.

You do still have to have a cell phone signal to make this work so all bets are off if you are in a remote location without a signal.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:07 PM
HowardPM
4th Gear
Ugggg

This is a big bet peeve of mine. They are called AUTO wipers, not Semi Auto Wipers

"If parked with auto wipers ON, they'll be OFF when you start the car the next time. You must turn them off then back on to use them. (In case the wipers freeze to the glass)"

Old 02-14-2006, 02:07 PM
MiniMatt1
1st Gear
All great things to know about the mini....

Maybe one of you has discovered a way to turn off that annoying seat belt chime for those short trips in the neighborhood...

Old 02-14-2006, 02:23 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMatt1
Maybe one of you has discovered a way to turn off that annoying seat belt chime for those short trips in the neighborhood...
I know I know - buckle it, takes half a sec to do and then undo

Hmm, lets see, something else people might not know is that if you leave your turnsignal in position when you turn the car off the driving lights will stay on on that side of the car - its to make the car more visible if parked on a dark narrow street

Also the refrigerated part of the glove box (the opening that lets the air blow in) can be closed.

Old 02-14-2006, 02:47 PM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Originally Posted by HowardPM
This is a big bet peeve of mine. They are called AUTO wipers, not Semi Auto Wipers
Actually they are called "Rain Sensing Wipers".

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI