R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Programming options for new MCS

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 10:59 AM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Programming options for new MCS

I have read several posts concerning "options" that your dealer can program in the computer like to roll down your windows with your key, or unlock the doors with 1 or 2 pulls. Most of these discussions say that your dealer will do this programming for free initially, but then charge you once you purchase your car. Is there a list of these programming choices anywhere so I can think over what I want programmed before Bruno gets here, and which of these options have you folks noticed that you really like, would really like to have, or thought you would like and now you don't? Thanks! :smile:

Old 01-27-2005, 11:02 AM
Inimay
2nd Gear
Do a search... lots of posts on this. I think someone even made a check off list.

Old 01-27-2005, 11:21 AM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
I know that there have been alot of posts on this topic but it's usually a thread about this option or that option. But I have never seen a comprehensive list of the options. I tried to do a search, but what to search on? Everything term that I have tried also refers to something else so it's rather hard to search.

Old 01-27-2005, 11:32 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copied from another thread:
These are most of them

UNLOCKING FROM OUTSIDE: Page 24
Press the remote button once, and the Driver’s door unlocks
Press the remote button a second time and the Passenger door and Rear Hatch unlock;
OR (Not shown in Manual, but available)
Press the remote button once to unlock ALL Doors (Driver, Passenger, and Rear Hatch)
Activate one or the other

AUTOMATIC LOCKING WHEN STOPPED Page 24
If the doors are not opened after being unlocked, within 2 minutes, the
central locking system locks the vehicle automatically.
Activate/Deactivate

AUTOMATIC LOCKING WHEN DRIVING Page 26
After you reach a pre-determined speed (10 mph), the central locking system locks the doors
Activate/Deactivate

CONVENIENCE OPENING MODE Page 24
Press and hold key fob button. The power windows (and sunroof) are opened
Activate/Deactivate

OPENING & CLOSING FROM OUTSIDE Page 25
Via the door lock: One turn of the key in the drivers door unlocks the drivers door only
Turning the key a second time unlocks the 2nd door, tailgate, fuel door
Activate/Deactivate

CONVENIENCE CLOSING VIA THE DOOR LOCK Page 25
With the door closed, hold the key in the locking position to close the
power windows (and sunroof)
Activate or Deactivate

FOLLOW ME HOME LAMPS Page 48
If you activate the headlamp flasher after having switched off the
engine and the lights, the low beams will stay lit for a pre-set period
of time.
Time delay for can be set for 30, 60, or 90 seconds
Activate and set time or Deactivate

DAYTIME DRIVING LIGHTS Page 48
(uses high beams at about 50% power when ignition is on)
Activate or Deactivate

SPEED Dependent Windshield Wipers: Page 51
(NA for vehicles with Rain Sensor)

NORMAL WIPER SPEED: When the vehicle is stopped with the wipers on, the wipers automatically switches to intermittent wiping
Activate or Deactivate

FAST WIPER SPEED: When the wipers are set to Fast Wiper Speed, the wipers switch automatically to normal wiper speed when the car is stopped.
Activate or Deactivate

See Page 64 for programming choices associated with Park Distance Control (PDC)-equipped vehicles

** Refers to page of 2004 Mini Cooper S Owner's Manual

Old 01-27-2005, 11:41 AM
buzzy
3rd Gear
Old 01-27-2005, 12:09 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Thanks for the info!

Old 01-27-2005, 12:18 PM
KatanaPilot
4th Gear
Besides from the ones listed in the manual, you should also consider "automatic unlocking when engine off". This is an undocumented feature. If you have this selected, you rarely have to touch your locks. My car locks automatically when I drive off, and unlocks when I shut down the engine.

Old 01-27-2005, 12:41 PM
tx51210
1st Gear
Excel and PDF list of programable options

Appalachian Mini was kind enough to complile a list of programable options in excel spreadsheet and pdf formats for download. Just edit and send to your dealer.

http://www.bergin.us/MINI_Programmable_options.xls
http://www.bergin.us/MINI_Programmable_options.pdf

Old 01-28-2005, 05:01 AM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Thanks for all of the help everyone. Are there any of these options that anyone got programmed and then decided it was kind of annoying? Or any that you didn't get but went back and added or want to add? I know, I'm thinking about this too much

Old 01-28-2005, 07:01 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MandaBoo
Thanks for all of the help everyone. Are there any of these options that anyone got programmed and then decided it was kind of annoying? Or any that you didn't get but went back and added or want to add? I know, I'm thinking about this too much
I like the locks opening when I switch off the motor. Together with the automatic locking at 10mph, like has already been mentioned, I rarely have to touch my locks.

One thing I would check on, at delivery time (I didn't think of it due to mass adrenaline rush )... I found my washer nozzles both front and rear were not "aimed" such that they would be even remotely useful ... Now, this is not a big deal, you can (Vewwwy Carefully) use a push-pin to move the nozzle, go hit the spritzer to check the adjustment, repeat until perfect. That's how I "fixed" them, and I swear they must be "haunted" since they seem to continually move outta whack all on their own...

Wait, I had a point... ohyeah, I was going to say you might check on the alignment of those nozzles AT the Dealer's, and have THEM make the adjustments... (funny mental picture of the MINI making weewee all over the showroom floor during this procedure LOL). Anywho, if the dealer/MA/tech makes this adjustment instead of you, then you'll be spared the paranoia that I felt, working with sharp metal objects intimately close to the pristine paint on the bonnet.

Boy it's fun waiting, aint it,
Tatt

Old 01-28-2005, 07:20 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tattman23
Wait, I had a point... ohyeah, I was going to say you might check on the alignment of those nozzles AT the Dealer's, and have THEM make the adjustments... (funny mental picture of the MINI making weewee all over the showroom floor during this procedure LOL). Anywho, if the dealer/MA/tech makes this adjustment instead of you, then you'll be spared the paranoia that I felt, working with sharp metal objects intimately close to the pristine paint on the bonnet.

Boy it's fun waiting, aint it,
Tatt
Although I'd suggest having them do it before they wash the car to deliver it to you...

Old 01-28-2005, 10:29 AM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey...sorry to kidnap (or commandere) your thread. This is very useful information as I am taking delivery of my MINI Cooper S this afternoon. I never thought about these things and the salesperson never asked me about any preferences to the programmable options. Though he did mention there was a lot of stuff they do in the prep and delivery process.

I'm taking notes.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:41 AM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
I know! If I didn't read forums, I wouldn't have known about them either until I got home and saw something about it in the owner's manual or they mentioned it when I picked it up. These are things that one might like to think about a bit to know what they want, and considering many dealers apparently charge you to change them after you have picked your car up, you would like to get it right the first time

Old 01-28-2005, 12:58 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
It's worth your while to be prepared on this one, as someone reported that their dealership tried to charge them for changes made after they took ownership of their car -- event thought the dealership had never bothered to inform them of the options in the first place!

Old 03-28-2005, 10:25 AM
eMINI
5th Gear
The "unlock when the engine is switched off" feature sounds great. Can someone confirm that this is available for '05 cars?

Old 03-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eMINI
The "unlock when the engine is switched off" feature sounds great. Can someone confirm that this is available for '05 cars?
Confirmed - we have it on our 05' Cabrio.

Donna
02' CR/W MCS (gone to MINI heaven)
05' Cool Blue MCSC

Old 03-28-2005, 10:41 AM
NoDak Pat
2nd Gear
Make sure you are very clear with your MA about this one though...it seems many of them don't know about the auto unlock when engine stopped option. I asked for that programming option and my MA was confused and deactivated the auto lock w/car stopped option.

When I bring in my MINI for my 1st check I'm going to have to argue this and hope they don't charge me for re-programming.

Old 03-28-2005, 10:45 AM
eMINI
5th Gear
Thanks for the verifications!:smile:

Old 03-28-2005, 10:57 AM
BrianGoldbloom
2nd Gear
Make sure you are very clear with your MA about this one though...it seems many of them don't know about the auto unlock when engine stopped option. I asked for that programming option and my MA was confused and deactivated the auto lock w/car stopped option.
So now I'm confused too. What is the difference?

Old 03-28-2005, 06:39 PM
NoDak Pat
2nd Gear
The Difference:

Auto unlock when Engine off: When you switch off your engine ie. parking; the doors to your MINI unlock...this forgos the normal "two pull" to unlock and open your door.

Auto Lock When Engine off: When you Switch your engine off, this option locks your doors after a set amount of time (I don't know the exact time somebody else may have posted that)

Old 03-28-2005, 06:53 PM
TosaCooper
1st Gear
I like the auto lock >10mph and auto unlock with engine off combination that the others have mentioned. I also like the acoustic fuel warning and the daytime running lights.

The comfort opening option holding the unlock button is also nice on hot days. It opens both windows and the sunroof if you have it.

Old 03-29-2005, 12:02 PM
eMINI
5th Gear
More Central Locking questions...

Originally Posted by NoDak Pat
The Difference:

Auto unlock when Engine off: When you switch off your engine ie. parking; the doors to your MINI unlock...this forgos the normal "two pull" to unlock and open your door.

Auto Lock When Engine off: When you Switch your engine off, this option locks your doors after a set amount of time (I don't know the exact time somebody else may have posted that)
So are both these features available at the same time? For example, if they are both active, when we reach our destination and shut off the engine, the doors would unlock. We would hop out and walk away. After a set time passes, the car would auto lock.

If combined with the Auto Locking When Driving feature, I might not need to touch my locks again!

Old 03-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
I haven't heard of the "Auto Lock when Engine off" feature. What I have heard of is, if you unlock your doors but don't open them within 2 minutes, they will automatically lock again. This way if you accidentally unlock them by mistake (e.g., you've pressed the unlock button while the key is your pocket) and don't enter the car, it will relock itself after 2 minutes. I've never heard that they will just lock by themselves after you open the door and close it.

Old 05-02-2005, 10:56 AM
stylin99
3rd Gear
Why is this a dealer only feature? Can we not make the changes in the computer ourselves?

Old 05-02-2005, 11:00 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by stylin99
Why is this a dealer only feature? Can we not make the changes in the computer ourselves?
No you can't program any convience features yourself, only the dealer can.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Programming options for new MCS