R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Are you/we guys driving a chick car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Spoof11
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watched a show on speed channel and they had a segment on what cars are girly. They said the mini was the ultimate girl car.....boy little do they know!!

Old 07-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, coz most supercharged cars are driven by girls.
Or not.

Old 07-02-2003, 02:36 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear
I don't know... all my co-workers say the MINI Cooper's not a car for a lady.

then I say "I'm no lady"

I really think it has no gender. Both men and women love it.

Old 07-02-2003, 02:37 PM
MiniMac
4th Gear
Well said Agro!

I must vote for the VW Cabrio.....the "Bitchbucket"
Followd by the Miata.

Old 07-02-2003, 02:44 PM
shaskan
4th Gear
Im married, so this doesn't really matter to me. I get more looks and pickup lines in this car than in any of the cars I drove before, even my BMW (Not lately though, haven't been in country for 6 months). Granted my bimmer was a 1986 piece of *****, but it looked cool. So, chick car, no way. Chick magnet would be more apropriate. I still got to say - THIS CAR RULES!

Frank

Old 07-02-2003, 02:45 PM
Sneaker
1st Gear
the MINI might have some feminine qualities because it is "cute".. but when driven i'd hardly say it's a girls car.

that's what the new Beetle is for :smile:

Old 07-02-2003, 02:51 PM
scobib
5th Gear
I have to say that the car seems to get equal attention from both sexes while I'm driving... but I'd say the ladies smile a bit more. Heh...

Old 07-02-2003, 02:54 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear

>>
>>that's what the new Beetle is for :smile:
>>

Yes, Sir, You are totally correct!!!

and it's not just a chick magnet! It's a man magnet too! Just my 1:18 model sitting on my desk at work has every man in my office stopping by to talk about it. At first I thought it was just the younger men (20s types) then the next thing I know the older guys (40s and 50s) are asking about MINIs, what the cost, etc....

Only after the Italian Job did they start to say, Well, OK, we can see why a lady would like driving one.

Old 07-02-2003, 02:55 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Remember, according to that one study, males who drive MINIs are Metrosexuals.

Old 07-02-2003, 03:48 PM
rfibanez
Banned
At a stop light the other day 2 chicks said my car was "cute"...I don't care if they call it girly becuase it helps me with the ladies

Old 07-02-2003, 04:21 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
<<< the MINI might have some feminine qualities because it is "cute".. but when driven i'd hardly say it's a girls car.>>>

You're right... it's a WOMAN's car.

<<<that's what the new Beetle is for>>>

Please, allow me to be the one to bowl you over with a feather today: some women are actually interested in the performance of their vehicle! Yeah! Wow! Some can even perform basic maintenance! Without breaking a nail! Welcome to the 20th century--if you really apply yourself you can probably catch up to the rest of us in the 21st...

Seriously, guys... I know you're joking (you damn well better be joking, or meet me out back in 25 minutes) but really, aren't we beyond this? It's sounding a bit like the Bimmer Board...

Old 07-02-2003, 04:27 PM
red03miniS
Banned

>>Seriously, guys... I know you're joking (you damn well better be joking, or meet me out back in 25 minutes) but really, aren't we beyond this? It's sounding a bit like the Bimmer Board...

i totally agree with you. the other day someone on here said "the civic sucks" and i told them off

just like we dont like hearing the mini sucks, we shouldnt be saying the civic sucks

similarly just like some of you dont like hearing the mini is a girls car, dont call other car girls car. by doing so, your stooping to thier level.

as for me, when people say its a girl car, i just tell them thank you. since women are smarter than men, it means i made a smart decision

ignorant people who stereotype needlessly scare me

Old 07-02-2003, 04:29 PM
bruintoo
2nd Gear
>><<<that's what the new Beetle is for>>>
>>
>>Please, allow me to be the one to bowl you over with a feather today: some women are actually interested in the performance of their vehicle! Yeah! Wow! Some can even perform basic maintenance! Without breaking a nail! Welcome to the 20th century--if you really apply yourself you can probably catch up to the rest of us in the 21st...
>>
>>Seriously, guys... I know you're joking (you damn well better be joking, or meet me out back in 25 minutes) but really, aren't we beyond this? It's sounding a bit like the Bimmer Board...

WELL SAID! I find MiniMac's "bitchbucket" highly offensive. WTF, where's all the motoring spirit gone?

Old 07-02-2003, 04:30 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
<<<as for me, when people say its a girl car, i just tell them thank you. since women are smarter than men, it means i made a smart decision >>>

Mua ha hahahahahahahahahahaha....!!!

Old 07-02-2003, 04:37 PM
red03miniS
Banned

>>
>>Mua ha hahahahahahahahahahaha....!!! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

bruintoo--i agree with you. i dont find his comments offensive per se, but comments like that begs the question where the motoring spirit has gone. just like we dont like to be put down, we shouldnt put these "miatas/vw bettles" down either.

there is something to be said about just being happy, enjoying ur own car, and be nice to people

sheesh is that too much to ask for

Old 07-02-2003, 04:50 PM
Sneaker
1st Gear
because i said it doesn't drive like a girls car doesn't mean it can't be driven by girls, or women. i am mearly stating the fact that the Beetle is less fun to drive and any "reasonable" woman with a good taste of cars would have a better time driving a MINI... uh yeah, that's what i meant.

/me runs.

Old 07-02-2003, 04:58 PM
BankyEdwards
2nd Gear
jeeez... a car's a car... to me the mustang is a girlie car, but it's mostly men who seem to own that market...

what does it matter who thinks what's what. it's your personality and driving that's going to bring that car to life... so in the end, it only matters what you think of the car you drive. i think the car i drive is the coolest f**king car on the road... so i guess it is...

Old 07-02-2003, 04:59 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
<<</me runs.>>>

Not nearly fast enough.

Old 07-02-2003, 05:03 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Banky...

Without beating a dead horse... the issue is that calling any vehicle a "girlie" car is generally perceived as an insult, or a testament to that particular car's lack of power or emphasis on style over handling. I find it insulting that the female association is a negative one and it's not one of the things that I let slide--even in joking.

I agree. A car should be a car. To assign gender preference to them assumes that women are interested in style not performance and that's stereotypical, unfounded and insulting.

Old 07-02-2003, 05:14 PM
RonR
4th Gear
The folks at SpeedTV should have gone for a ride in Randy Webb's MINI :smile: !!

Ron

Old 07-02-2003, 05:14 PM
BankyEdwards
2nd Gear
>>Banky...
>>
>>Without beating a dead horse... the issue is that calling any vehicle a "girlie" car is generally perceived as an insult, or a testament to that particular car's lack of power or emphasis on style over handling. I find it insulting that the female association is a negative one and it's not one of the things that I let slide--even in joking.
>>

....and i don't think a mustang is under powered and can't handle... my perception of the mustang be girlie, is that 30 years ago, it was designed for men to compensate for their short comings... and in time when that no longer worked, the market just redirected toward who it was meant to attract in the first place... it has nothing to do with it being "sissy" or anything... i mean, a supercharged 4.6L V8 with 390hp is not really sissy...

Old 07-02-2003, 05:53 PM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
Yeah people say that the MINI is a girl car alot....it bothers me, too, even though I am a girl. I hate when people generalize like that.

But if people want to keep insisting it, I look at it this way. Any man that drives a MINI is comfortable enough with themselves and in who they are that they don't let some stupid generalization bother them.

Old 07-02-2003, 09:00 PM
MCSurfer
2nd Gear
I think that a car can't just be for girls. it's like saying that there's a bar-b-q that's just for guys. I mean...come on

Old 07-02-2003, 09:07 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
You can call MINIs anything you want but my MCS is a rocket with wheels. Doesn't matter what people say. Just shows they do not know what is going on at all. If women think the car is cute then fine. If it appeals to females then great.
If people stereotype the car then they are in for a very big surprise not just from the MCS but I think the MC is a great car as well. So all your motorers get motorin this weekend.

Old 07-02-2003, 09:23 PM
Spoof11
1st Gear
Ok....im sorry girls for even bringing the subject up! But everyone has to have their own opinion about certain topics. lol

Anyone can drive a MINI

Quick Reply: R50/53 Are you/we guys driving a chick car?