R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Are you/we guys driving a chick car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 10:36 AM
Bert
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kgdblu:

It is nonsense to debate one's opinion. It is well known that in the world we live in, there are in fact stereotypes in every category. Cars are a category. There are stereotypes as to whether or not vehicles have manly/girly factors.

I can't stand these "girl car" or "gay car" labels. To utter these statements shows a complete lack of awareness,manners and just plain brain power.
You are completely and utterly incorrect. regardless of what you can or cannot stand, Spoof is entitled to his opinion, as is everyone else. Showing a complete lack of awareness, manners, and brain power, all I have to say to that is "......"

^Who are you to set the standards.

>>Oh I'm a lumberjack, and I'm ok
>>I sleep all night and I work all day.
>>I cut down trees, I skip and jump
>>I like to press wild flowers
>>I wish I'd been a girlie
>>just like my dear Mama
>>
>>

I love that song...cracks me up every single time....
Hmm..seems to me you just contradicted yourself with the whole manners scenario, being sarcastic and obnoxious. Reevaluate yourself.

-Bert

Old 07-03-2003, 10:37 AM
countrym
6th Gear
>>I must vote for the VW Cabrio.....the "Bitchbucket"
>>Followd by the Miata.

Bitchbucket? That's what my dog drinks out of.

Old 07-03-2003, 10:47 AM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I like girly car's I alway's have

Old 07-03-2003, 10:48 AM
sketchedin
3rd Gear
The computer repair guy at my high school saw me in my MINI, and asked, "Hey, isn't that an old lady's car?" I just looked at him like "You IDiot!", smiled, and said, "Naaa." My friend who was with me (and claims to hate MINIs with all of his being) even said, "What is that guy talking about?" we were both shocked at the ridiculous question.

Old 07-03-2003, 10:53 AM
hildymac
2nd Gear
Hm... I'm not going to go into "girl car" or "guy car" here. I like the New Bugs (well, ok, I really only like the Turbo ones, but that's neither here nor there), but I damn well prefer the styling *and* performance of the MINI. But I know guys who drive the Bug nd enjoy it. Heck, I know guys who drive Miatas and enjoy them (of course, the guy I know is also 5' 6" and doesn't look all smushed up in it). I think the perception of the cars is based upon how guys look driving them. The Miata doesn't have much headroom, really, for a tall guy, and my dad looks like a retard driving my mother's, while Mom looks normal - why? B/c she's 5 inches shorter. Of course, my dad also looks like a retard driving his Focus ZX3 as well, but that's b/c it's a bubble on wheels and no one looks normal driving those (except for a friend of mine who is the smallest and cutest person in the world - that excuses the car). So, in conclusion - the car fits the person, not the car fits the sex of a person. You drive who you are. But then again, if that's the case, I'm a shoddily put together piece of Asian craftsmanship. Bah.

Old 07-03-2003, 10:54 AM
countrym
6th Gear
THIS COULD BE THE SINGLE WORST FIRST-EVER POST BY ANYONE ON MCO!

Congrats, Bert!

Yes it is pointless to debate opinions, since they're opinions. But just because everyone has one, doesn't mean they're all equally valid! You are entitled to have a sexist, prejudiced opinion, but you can't expect everyone to accept its logic. Especially when it has none, beyond insecurity and mean-spiritedness.

It's not all right to accept prejudice on the basis that everyone has the right to be prejudiced if they want. What if that had been Abraham Lincoln's attitude. "Well if the South wants to have their own slave owning country, I guess that's their opinion!" Or what if Martin Luther King had said, "Well, I guess Jim Crow's all right, since it seems to be the opinion of white folks that black folks aren't equal citizens." Or Ghandi? Don't you know that it's the acceptance of prejudice that leads to hate crime and genocide?

And I don't have any idea what the hell Monty Python has to do with contradicting ones sense of propriety. I guess you just missed the reference. He didn't make the song up, it's a Monty Python skit.

>>Kgdblu:
>>
>>It is nonsense to debate one's opinion. It is well known that in the world we live in, there are in fact stereotypes in every category. Cars are a category. There are stereotypes as to whether or not vehicles have manly/girly factors.
>>
>>
I can't stand these "girl car" or "gay car" labels. To utter these statements shows a complete lack of awareness,manners and just plain brain power.
>>
>>You are completely and utterly incorrect. regardless of what you can or cannot stand, Spoof is entitled to his opinion, as is everyone else. Showing a complete lack of awareness, manners, and brain power, all I have to say to that is "......"
>>
>>^Who are you to set the standards.
>>
>>
>>Oh I'm a lumberjack, and I'm ok
>>>>I sleep all night and I work all day.
>>>>I cut down trees, I skip and jump
>>>>I like to press wild flowers
>>>>I wish I'd been a girlie
>>>>just like my dear Mama
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>>I love that song...cracks me up every single time....
>>
>>Hmm..seems to me you just contradicted yourself with the whole manners scenario, being sarcastic and obnoxious. Reevaluate yourself.
>>
>>
>>-Bert
>>
>>_________________
>>

Old 07-03-2003, 10:58 AM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Way to go ,Rat!!

Proud owner of a MINI & a Miata :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: So let's all make peace & celebrate our great nation's birthday. We could live in parts of the Middle East & be wondering where our next meal is coming from

Motor on,
Lois

Old 07-03-2003, 11:05 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
>>Of course, my dad also looks like a retard driving his Focus ZX3 as well, but that's b/c it's a bubble on wheels and no one looks normal driving those (except for a friend of mine who is the smallest and cutest person in the world - that excuses the car). So, in conclusion - the car fits the person, not the car fits the sex of a person. You drive who you are. But then again, if that's the case, I'm a shoddily put together piece of Asian craftsmanship. Bah.

Old 07-03-2003, 11:17 AM
hildymac
2nd Gear
>>>>Of course, my dad also looks like a retard driving his Focus ZX3 as well, but that's b/c it's a bubble on wheels and no one looks normal driving those (except for a friend of mine who is the smallest and cutest person in the world - that excuses the car). So, in conclusion - the car fits the person, not the car fits the sex of a person. You drive who you are. But then again, if that's the case, I'm a shoddily put together piece of Asian craftsmanship. Bah.

Old 07-03-2003, 11:21 AM
red03miniS
Banned
We could live in parts of the Middle East & be wondering where our next meal is coming from

Old 07-03-2003, 12:09 PM
Bert
Neutral
He didn't make the song up, it's a Monty Python skit.
Well, even though I am a rookie here with now 2 posts, at least I can spot out that kgdblu is a female. How about we not chastise me pal, I don't have time with your garbage. I joined here to take the defense of my friend, not for the love of the Mini.

Don't be a jackass.

Old 07-03-2003, 12:09 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Countrym.... here's vote number 2 for worst first post ever!

It's a hearts and minds thing, Bert. Sexism (and all the other -isms) will never go away if we allow backwards humor to ride. And Country was right: people can be sexist/racist/etc. but I'm damn sure not letting them get away with it unquestioned.

Old 07-03-2003, 12:10 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
<<< I joined here to take the defense of my friend, not for the love of the Mini.

Don't be a jackass.>>>

:???: :???: :???:

Old 07-03-2003, 12:11 PM
Bert
Neutral
Hmm maybe someone can queue me in on what is so terrible about defending someone?

The "worst" post ever...

That is the opposite of funny, so stop with the chuckling faces.

Old 07-03-2003, 12:45 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>The computer repair guy at my high school saw me in my MINI, and asked, "Hey, isn't that an old lady's car?" I just looked at him like "You IDiot!", smiled, and said, "Naaa." My friend who was with me (and claims to hate MINIs with all of his being) even said, "What is that guy talking about?" we were both shocked at the ridiculous question.

Love the story! Mod on!!!

Old 07-03-2003, 12:53 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
<<<That is the opposite of funny, so stop with the chuckling faces.>>>

Old 07-03-2003, 01:10 PM
MichaelD
2nd Gear
After all this time, there are STILL spitheads out there who call the MINI a "girly car"; I just don't get this. Two weeks ago, at a traffic light in Manhattan, two NYC Sanitation guys - in their 5-ton truck - got my attention, asked questions and called my MINI "terrific". These are not guys who attend the opera or the ballet. These are not guys who will discuss the relative merits of one chardonnay over another. These are traditional, sports-watching, beer-guzzling, MEN who work hard physical labor. Yet, they were impressed by and complemented my MINI.

The "girly car" crowd needs a little more lead in THEIR pencils than they let on.

Old 07-03-2003, 01:29 PM
ovrkll
2nd Gear
>>
>>I try. Sometimes nothing's funnier than the truth... except when you *see the truth,* i.e. my dad with a baseball cap for a motorcycle customizing place on backwards pull up in the driveway blaring some obnoxious new metal band I have never heard of. That adds to the effect.
>>

Hey!!! I listen to "metal", trying to imply that we are all older age and trying to re-live our youth?

Old 07-03-2003, 02:07 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
We're not trying to relive our youth-just still enjoying the music of our youth.Nothing wrong with that.

I think I'll do some smiley faces for Bert :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Peace & Love
Lois
ex hippie

Old 07-03-2003, 02:14 PM
red03miniS
Banned

>>
>>Peace & Love
>>Lois
>>ex hippie

u should come visit me in berkeley, to see the CURRENT hippies

Old 07-03-2003, 02:31 PM
Cooptime
3rd Gear
Smiling sure is fun, eh?

I smile when I see a MINI all the time .

Old 07-03-2003, 02:50 PM
red03miniS
Banned
>>Smiling sure is fun, eh?

yes sireee bob

Old 07-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Bert
Neutral
Old 07-03-2003, 03:39 PM
red03miniS
Banned
cool sig bert

Old 07-03-2003, 03:46 PM
Bert
Neutral
Thank you.

Pick up the Green Book.

http://www.twiztid.com

Quick Reply: R50/53 Are you/we guys driving a chick car?