R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Headlight washers

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 06:02 PM
autoheart
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight washers

My '05 MCS has Xenon headlights and washers. The washers have stopped working. I can hear the motor run, the nozzles extend, fluid is pumped out with the input hoses disconnected, and there is no obstruction in the nozzles (I checked with compressed air). And yes, the reservoir is full. I can think of two possibilities: either the pump is weak or the valve in the nozzle is faulty and requires too much pressure to overcome. I think the latter is unlikely since it affects both sides. But I don't want to just throw expensive parts at the problem... Anybody know what the specs are for the pump pressure or the pressure needed to overcome the valve in the nozzle?

Old 01-24-2017, 06:48 AM
autoheart
1st Gear
Wow... I feel like the guy who farted in the room.... No responses... Anybody??

Old 01-25-2017, 06:21 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by autoheart
...I don't want to just throw expensive parts at the problem...
I'm not sure of the pump specs, but because you're experiencing the failure at both sides, and you've verified that the lines/nozzles are clear, I'd say it's a good chance that it's the pump that's failing. Was there fairly good pressure when you had the lines disconnected to test?

A new pump can be had for about $100, and there are several of the used variety on eBay for about half that. In addition, there are several cars being parted out in the "MINI Parts for Sale" section of this website. Maybe inquire with some of those sellers as to the price of the pump? It's a low failure rate item, so IMO, it's worth taking a chance on replacing the pump with a used one - especially if you can land one in the $35 range...

Old 01-25-2017, 09:36 AM
autoheart
1st Gear
That was my thinking, thanks for the ideas about sourcing a new one. I think I'll pull the one I have this weekend and be sure it isn't something simple that is decreasing the pressure before I buy a new one. I'm cheap.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:15 PM
Cenla Mini
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ha...After reading your thread I checked my relatively new to me (2 months) 2006 MCS that just rolled over 21K...it only had 18K when I found it in Texas back in Nov...anyway...someone had said they thought it had the washer when they saw a picture I posted but I was clueless...I finally searched for it on Youtube and found a video that showed the washer...now I know where it is...just don't know how to make it was the lights yet...I'll check it out tomorrow.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:37 AM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
The chances are that the headlight washers only work if the headlights are on AND the windshield wipers are on & then you use the washers.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:38 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
+1 Headlights have to be on and the washer works the first time , then after 3-4 resprays. I forget the time frame, but that's how it works.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ht-washer.html

Check the line from the pump to the washer and make sure you check the nozzles, they can get clogged and need a pin to clean them.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-27-2017, 05:49 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
I have the washers on my 06 S jcw and I just find no good can come from them. Maybe it is me, but they just seem useless and they break easily. I have only had a few Minis with this option, but I always need to fix them, as the chrome cover is often gone, requiring an expensive fix for an ineffective system.
I wish I did not have them on my daily driver!
I know many of us are **** about everything that is on our cars and should work as planned by Mini. I feel these are just a money maker for them!

Old 01-27-2017, 09:18 AM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
The headlight washers work the first time after you turn on the headlights and activate your windshield wash. Then every third time you activate the windshield wash after that. If you want to spray your headlights again right after, you turn off your lights and turn them on again.

They spray a lot of washer on the headlights so you only get a few washes before the tank is empty. That's why the headlight wash is in a separate tank than your windshield wash. Oh yeah..you didn't mention if you checked the fluid levels on both tanks on either side of your car. There are two tanks.

However, since you say you can hear the motor run and the nozzles extend, then it is more likely the pump isn't spraying hard enough. Mine sprays hard enough to have fluid splash onto my windshield.
Also, check that you have all the hoses connected. In harsh weather conditions, they can get hardened and crack, or fall off their connecting nozzles, so you may have a leak somewhere. Since the fluid is heated, you should probably check that you don't have anything blocking the fluid path.

Last edited by beken; 01-27-2017 at 09:26 AM.