R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Switching headlights.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 08:06 PM
a1machinista1
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Switching headlights.

Im in a bit of a holding pattern on my mini right now so im making plans for next week. Ive done a little plasi dip on the grill and the scoop. Not to optimistic on the longevity of it but for now its ok. Im sure I'll be getting the black honeycomb grill and a different scoop.

Ok on to my question: And I know that this has been discussed many many times and I could research until im blue in the face.. my theory is that almost all questions have been asked and answered.. I however like meeting new people and having recurring conversations. So please dont tell me to look it up, if you dont like answering then don't...

Ok now my question..
Im not a fan of chrome, going to black out all chrome to matte black. I have a 06 S with xenons and headlight washers. I understand that xenons are required to have the washers and levelers. I thought I might tear them apart and paint the inside and then do something with the rings....but lately I just dont feel like it. Plus I'm thinking if I find a set I like maybe I can get a few bucks for my xenon system with the washers and all the parts?? Just an idea. I can fabricate (im a machinist) something different for headlight washers.

Can someone explain the details in using these? If these wont work can you suggest something that would..

Mini Cooper 02-06 DRL LED Projector Headlights - Black with HID Kit
http://www.protuninglab.com/hid-pro-...d=140850936778

Old 01-21-2017, 08:29 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
The HID projectors in your stock headlights are far better than what's in those headlights you linked to. The lens in those is designed to work with regular halogen H1 bulbs. You can put HID H1 bulbs in them, but the light output will not be very good. So, unless you're planning retrofitting an aftermarket projector lens from a place like The Retrofit Source, you're going to be getting a significant downgrade in lighting.

I did a retrofit on those headlights using TRS Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini H1 lenses a few years ago. The lighting is very good, but they do not auto level or have the headlight washers.

I think you really are best off keeping your stock HIDs and opening them up to paint the chrome black. You might also see if you can replace the stock lens with a compatible clear one, if you're interested in better output. I know TRS sells some, but I'm not sure if any of them would be compatible:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...ts/lenses.html

Old 01-21-2017, 09:27 PM
a1machinista1
1st Gear
Im not planning on going to deep on this. If I can swap out a decent headlight for these I will. Every car I have owned has had halogens( I believe).. light quality is not a determining factor for me. Im more concerned with a qualty looking light and not necessarily a modified look... of course I would like a set of lights that dont break the bank and do a decent job of lighting up the road. But ultimately this comes down to looks. Choices are paint the chrome rings, ring covers or wrap the covers.all of which I dont think im a huge fan of.. I plasti dipped the grill and scoop more or less to see if I liked the black out.. dont think im sold on the dip but I figured I can just peel it off pretty hassle free.

If I did find a nice looking set of lights I am confident I would go ahead and get the esc black grill and find a new scoop. Answer me this if you could please. I would imagine xenons do not last as long as halogens, but what about reliability, complexity of the system, and costs to repair?

Old 01-21-2017, 09:32 PM
a1machinista1
1st Gear
Thanks for the link but didnt see any lenses there...that the other thing.... my lenses are in good shape but definitely could use a polishing which I have done in the past and have had better than great success. But still a new light always looks good..or atleast it should??

Old 01-22-2017, 07:24 AM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Do NOT buy any pre built projector headlights and use HID with them. The projectors in those lights are designed specifically for halogen bulbs. If you want to use those lights and use halogen bulbs that's fine, but the hid will actually give you worse light output. The site that was linked to is where you can buy parts to pull the actual projector out of the headlight housing and swap in a proper HID projector. I've just finished doing this myself with a set of depo projector lights.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:40 AM
a1machinista1
1st Gear
Im not really wanting to disassemble anything. And im definitely not going to swap one like source in a housing designed for another. Does anyone know if the projectors I linked to are fully plug and play for my mini? I will not do any wiring modifications to change lights.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:47 AM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
Sort of, but the ones you linked to came with a "plug n play" HID kit. That's a kit that plugs the hid bulb into a halogen projector.

Look on amazon for Depo projector headlights. That's what I have, they look exactly the same as the 06 projectors.

I've taken mine apart and swapped in proper HID projectors but that's all internal. You can tell anything is different from looking at them on the car.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:49 AM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
02-06 MINI COOPER HATCHBACK HELIX/DEPO PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS - BLACK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ILW7Q50..._7rnHyb0NJR72A

Old 01-22-2017, 08:26 AM
a1machinista1
1st Gear
Ok those look good... and these will plug and play with my factory xenon wiring? I rarely drive at night so I think tonight I will go for a drive and really look at my headlights...

Old 01-22-2017, 11:13 AM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
Yes they will. My car had the xenon factory lights originally as well.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:35 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by a1machinista1
I would imagine xenons do not last as long as halogens, but what about reliability, complexity of the system, and costs to repair?
Xenon bulbs last far longer than halogens. A halogen bulb will last most drivers out there about 2-3 years. Xenon bulbs can easily go 10 years plus.

But, yes, if the xenon system does develop problems, its much more expensive to fix because you have the ballast/igniter and a more expensive bulb (not to mention the headlight washer and auto-leveling system too).

As X757XVeritas mentioned, all of the aftermarket headlights that have been linked to in this thread are designed for use with halogen bulbs only. So, even though a vendor will include the HID bulbs and ballasts, its not really the way they are designed to work. Its why both X757XVeritas and I retrofitted a true projector lens and matching reflector bowl in them to use with HID bulbs.

I guess its all a matter of priorities - light output vs external appearance vs longevity, etc. Hopefully you have a better idea of what options you have. Best of luck deciding on what's right for you.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:18 AM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
Here's some pics of the results of my retrofit.

Nice sharp cut off to not blind on coming traffic with low beams. But still nice and bright.

Low beams at a distance

Highbeam