R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 About to buy my 5th Mini in 14 months.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 06:38 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just bought my 6th Mini in 15 months.

I really like driving Mini's, but I've limited ownership to the winter months. Typically, I buy them fairly rough, restore them, and sell them come spring. Last winter I rebuilt two of them, and this winter I'm already about the buy my 5th (3rd this winter). Anyway, it's a fun hobby that keeps me busy during the evenings after work and weekends.

Anyway, I may not post a lot on here, but I spend my share of time wrenching or driving Mini's. I'm really looking forward to picking up a turbo car at some point and modding it for some fun. All the Mini's I bought so far I've left stock. I'm really itching to drive a decently modded one.

Name:  20170115_155208_zps6mso6i1h.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  4.48 MB

Picking this one up on Tuesday.

Name:  00m0m_h34USF9KuDq_1200x900_zpsn4jzlrcv.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  238.0 KB

Last edited by Grip Grip; 05-01-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:46 PM
Bernard Barbour
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice hobby, wish I could do the same. Did you get a dealers license or just keeping them untitled until you're finished with the repairs and then sell them. I suspect you've bought all the tools to do the repairs. I need to get another house with a huge garage, I'm jealous. My wife understands my Mini obsession and would be okay with this, lol. Great success my friend.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:49 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Bernard Barbour
Nice hobby, wish I could do the same. Did you get a dealers license or just keeping them untitled until you're finished with the repairs and then sell them. I suspect you've bought all the tools to do the repairs. I need to get another house with a huge garage, I'm jealous. My wife understands my Mini obsession and would be okay with this, lol. Great success my friend.

Thanks. I don't have a dealer's license, so I register each one and pay the applicable sales tax. I only flip around 4-5 cars a year, and I don't believe that's enough to anger big brother. Also, these are very inexpensive cars, so that probably helps.

I've read the last thing you'd want to do is float a title, as that could land you in jail. That's when you don't sign the title or register the car, and sell it leaving your name off the title. I'm not looking to get greedy. I give the government their cut every time.

I've got a 2-car garage and a decent supply of tools, but nothing special. Trust me, there's no brain surgery taking place in my garage.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:30 PM
jeffl
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The grey mini doesn't look like it needs anything.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:59 AM
Bernard Barbour
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Good deal Sir! I have a friend that does the same with Land Rover Discovery's. Always the headgasket, lol. I told him he needs to start titling these things and paying the taxes, lol. He does about 4 -6 of them a year.

Keep up the great work. Cheers!

Old 01-22-2017, 07:21 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jeffl
The grey mini doesn't look like it needs anything.
I'll likely have to swap out the tranny, so it's needs a little work.

Originally Posted by Bernard Barbour
Good deal Sir! I have a friend that does the same with Land Rover Discovery's. Always the headgasket, lol. I told him he needs to start titling these things and paying the taxes, lol. He does about 4 -6 of them a year.

Keep up the great work. Cheers!
Always nice to find a niche. I hope they don't catch up with your friend.

Last edited by Grip Grip; 01-22-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:47 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
I sold Mini number 3 a couple days ago, and I picked up Mini 5 as planned. I think Mini 5 is by far my favorite so far. The R98 wheels might be dated to some, but to me they make the car. Anyway, it's ready to go and I have it listed on my local CL.

For now I'm on the hunt for a cheap turbo coupe without a blown engine.

Name:  20170127_164345_zpsf5h3s50e.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  2.64 MB

Name:  20170127_164340_zpsqdnt1mft.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  4.01 MB

Name:  20170127_164335_zpsy2xuvfol.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  3.99 MB

Name:  20170127_164313_zpshohgwcw9.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  2.85 MB

Old 01-27-2017, 10:51 PM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Grip Grip
I sold Mini number 3 a couple days ago, and I picked up Mini 5 as planned. I think Mini 5 is by far my favorite so far. The R98 wheels might be dated to some, but to me they make the car. Anyway, it's ready to go and I have it listed on my local CL.
Lovely looking car - I had the R98's on my two previous Mini's, and loved them, but when I got my third I was determined to go old school and keep the s-lites on them!!

Old 01-29-2017, 07:59 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Noonzio
Lovely looking car - I had the R98's on my two previous Mini's, and loved them, but when I got my third I was determined to go old school and keep the s-lites on them!!

Thanks. Even though the car is listed I'm still restoring it every day. I painted the calipers and rotors yesterday. Today I started working on restoring the wheels. The barrels are curbed up a little, so I plan to grind smooth and polish this week. After that I'll get my dent repair guy to take care of the dings. Other than that the car is pretty solid, but could always use more cleaning. The cleaning never ends with a used car.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:54 AM
druzmini
1st Gear
Nice ride!
I just picked up the same car(or atleast exterior) and love the R98 wheels. Having my wheels restored from some curbing/clearcoat issues. Other than maybe an Aero grill I love the exterior and the wheels make the R53s IMO.
What color did you paint the calipers? When I do the rotors/pads I will paint mine too.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:43 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Originally Posted by druzmini
Nice ride!
I just picked up the same car(or atleast exterior) and love the R98 wheels. Having my wheels restored from some curbing/clearcoat issues. Other than maybe an Aero grill I love the exterior and the wheels make the R53s IMO.
What color did you paint the calipers? When I do the rotors/pads I will paint mine too.
I went with red. You might want to paint the rotor hat and rotor edge black while you're at it.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:34 PM
druzmini
1st Gear
That will pop behind those wheels

Old 01-30-2017, 06:54 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Originally Posted by druzmini
That will pop behind those wheels
It's not all that bright, but definitley better than rust. I also made some progress on smoothing out the curbed wheels. I'll strip the clear coat this weekend and polish them up.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:37 AM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
I sold the blue MCS yesterday, and picked up a modded MCS today. Car drove great, and damn it scoots! Obvious mod list is 17% Alta pulley, Alta CAI, Alta intercooler cover, MSD coil packs, Sports exhaust, boost and oil pressure gauges, and 17" aftermarket wheels. The rear coil springs are green, so I guess those are aftermarket also. Someone spent a pretty penny modding this car. I'll take a look at the injectors and crank pulley when I get home to see if they're stock. I might just remove the supercharger this time and make sure the fluid level is good. I can't help but think about it considering how frig'n loud it is when boosting.