R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Roof racks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 03:26 PM
Piff
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof racks?

I'm in the market currently for some roof racks....Thule seems like a good choice because they do not require you to drill into the car like the Oem ones.
My question is, what parts do I need? Am I able to just get the Thule rapid gutter foot pack 300r and it will allow me to attack the Thule aero blade ARB47B onto it? Do I need anything else?
Also I'm sure this has been asked many times but what do y'all suggest, I'll just be carrying a surfboard, nothing major.
Thanks

Old 01-18-2017, 05:19 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
PM sent

Old 01-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Bernard Barbour
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
I'm in the market currently for some roof racks....Thule seems like a good choice because they do not require you to drill into the car like the Oem ones.
My question is, what parts do I need? Am I able to just get the Thule rapid gutter foot pack 300r and it will allow me to attack the Thule aero blade ARB47B onto it? Do I need anything else?
Also I'm sure this has been asked many times but what do y'all suggest, I'll just be carrying a surfboard, nothing major.
Thanks

I used to run that set up on my 1st Mini. Also had the wind deflector as well. Much better than drilling holes in the roof.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:47 PM
chrisdurand
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i was just about to create the same posting about roof systems, I have the "oe" mini roof system from the dealer " bolts to the roof "..wondering what options some of you have exercised with bike trays, it seem that Thule has some and was wondering what option you chose to mount them either using the T track in the rail or some sort of clamping method that was included with the rail...

thanks in advance..

Old 01-26-2017, 01:08 PM
WildMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bernard what setup are you running in that photo? They look like round bars, so I am thinking Yakima? Either way how do you like it? I need to get some roof racks this summer so that I can transport my mountain bikes

Old 01-28-2017, 08:02 AM
chrisdurand
2nd Gear
If you have the option to bolt it to the roof of you mini, i would choose that way, thats if you have the option, it was the tray for the bike that had me stumped but after some much research i got it to work perfectly. I will post some pictures when i get the tray on my OE support bars..

Old 01-28-2017, 01:32 PM
chrisdurand
2nd Gear
i was able to find the T track bolts from Thule that would have fit the OE support rails, but unfortunately they where located overseas and the shipping was real high. The T track bolt pictured below is the one of three that came with the tray, its 20x20mm i think the required bolts are 25mm wide. I came up with the idea then to hopefully just be able to make some washers out of some 1 inch wide - 1/8 inch thick flat stock from my local hardware store, also drilling a 5-16th's hole for the Thule T track bolt to feed through. The only remaining issue was if i was going to have enough thread remaining for the quick release fastening handles.....

They worked out perfectly..

Old 01-29-2017, 07:12 AM
Bernard Barbour
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by WildMini
Bernard what setup are you running in that photo? They look like round bars, so I am thinking Yakima? Either way how do you like it? I need to get some roof racks this summer so that I can transport my mountain bikes
This is the Thule roof rack on my first Mini. I carried my road bikes and mountain bikes on this system. I had a sunroof on my first Mini so drilling was not an option. I like this system a lot as I could transfer to my Volvo and other cars.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:08 PM
chrisdurand
2nd Gear
Proflex!! nice

Old 01-31-2017, 01:32 PM
jnrjr79
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chrisdurand
If you have the option to bolt it to the roof of you mini, i would choose that way, thats if you have the option, it was the tray for the bike that had me stumped but after some much research i got it to work perfectly. I will post some pictures when i get the tray on my OE support bars..
So, I have the OEM rack on my '06 R53 and it's great. I agree, though, if you're just doing super light duty up there (surf board, skis, etc.) then it may be overkill. I would often drag around a big Thule cargo box, so I felt I needed the weight capacity of the OEM bars rather than something that mounted in the gutters.

Just FYI, despite what Bernard said, the OEM rack that bolts into the roof works just fine with a sunroof. The sunroof opens and closes at a height that is lower than the OEM rack and clears it fine.