R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Oil Catch Can... Yes or NO???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 12:25 PM
murdeR53
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Catch Can... Yes or NO???

I'm thinking about cleaning out my intercooler with some acetone or carb cleaner, and I'm eyeballing a couple different oil catch cans to prevent any further fouling/oil getting into the IC via the PCV. Soooo, I've read different opinions varying from "they're great, do it now!" to "totally not worth it brah, just clean your IC" any opinions? Specifically asking about R53 supercharged mini.

I've also read that it's a bigger issue on the R56, and not as big of a deal on R53's like mine.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:49 PM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Some people will say they are pointless, but at the very least it won't hurt anything. I'll be doing the same thing soon. I've got a catch can on a few different vehicle I own.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:40 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
I have one on mine, I'm mostly in the what could it hurt category. I will say though, there's one out there that has a screen inside the oil catch can, I'd go with that. I have the M7 one and it's nice but it's just an empty can and there's not much for the oil vapor to condense on. I tried putting steel wool in it, which worked, but the wool rusted and I started to worry about steel bits making their way to places they could do some damage.

I can't remember the name of the company that makes one with a screen inside, and I do remember it was more expensive, but if I had it to do over again, that's the one I'd buy.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:01 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Racingguy04
I have one on mine, I'm mostly in the what could it hurt category. I will say though, there's one out there that has a screen inside the oil catch can, I'd go with that. I have the M7 one and it's nice but it's just an empty can and there's not much for the oil vapor to condense on. I tried putting steel wool in it, which worked, but the wool rusted and I started to worry about steel bits making their way to places they could do some damage.

I can't remember the name of the company that makes one with a screen inside, and I do remember it was more expensive, but if I had it to do over again, that's the one I'd buy.
Saikoumichi?

Old 01-19-2017, 04:45 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
How much oil are you guys getting in your cans between every oil change? Over 7000 miles between my oil changes, my motor doesn't use enough oil to even tell it's any lower on the dipstick...and it's got 150,000 miles on it. I like the idea of a catch can....but how much oil is it really catching??

Old 01-19-2017, 06:19 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
It will also catch water vapor. That is why most catch can collectives you see are very milky brown. Lot of water with it.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:18 AM
murdeR53
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the quality and price of the Saikou Michi, with the screen/medium to catch oil/water vapors, but looking at this page, I'm not seeing an option for the R53 (W11) motor...

http://www.saikoumichi.com/vehicle_c...ence_list.html

Originally Posted by Racingguy04

OOOooo, I definitely wouldn't use steel wool as a medium in the catch can prior to the intake, Maybe try copper wool? something that won't cook and wont rust?