R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Odd leak - Super Charger Related?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 10:53 AM
JJGreer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd leak - Super Charger Related?

Greetings, 2004 R53, 156Kmiles, Bone stock: I took a run earlier in the afternoon. No issues. No puddle. Later, just before dark, I saw this puddle. Crawled under but couldn't see the source. Checked all the fluids. None low. Oil on ground didn't smell like burnt motor oil but it's 100% synthetic and they don't smell. Only thing left in my mind was SC oil. The next Saturday I pulled the front end and the SC. Plenty of oil in both ends. But the rotary vanes and the horns are all wet with oil. The intercooler is dark brown but not stopped up. I keep the motor oil topped up between changes. Doesn't seem to burning much. Plugs are clean. No smoke on startup or hard acceleration. Wondering if it's possible that oil from the PCV is collecting in the bottom of the SC and when the green gasket got cool and loose it spilled out? Anyone ever heard of such a thing. If so where is the fault? PCV valve bad?

Old 01-18-2017, 05:52 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
It looks like the oil cooler O-rings have given up. They are located under the oil filter, also check from crank seal and oil pan gasket leaks. That is a lot of oil. Did it happen while idling there, or was the engine off?

The supercharger only holds around two ounces of oil, so forget that thinking.
It is showing engine oil. Remember a little oil can look like a lot on the ground. My guess would be the oil cooler.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:14 PM
sherman89
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Typically if the oil cooler is leaking you will find the oil under the passenger side control arm, this looks more toward the center of the motor and maybe the o-ring on that front sensor might be the source for oil----it sure looks like a lot----was the motor left running for awhile???

Old 01-18-2017, 12:51 PM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Used synthetic oil will still give a smell.

Positive it's not power steering fluid??

Old 01-18-2017, 12:53 PM
JJGreer
1st Gear
I see what your saying ItsmeWayne and while I have it apart I'll check the oil cooler but I was thinking along the same lines as sherman89. It's in the front middle. And the engine oil wasn't low. I think I've fallen prey to the oil vapor condensing in the intake air piping. I've ordered all the gaskets and a new water pump. I also broke down and ordered a oil catch can. As much as I don't believe in them I thought the Mishimoto can with baffles was worth a try. And to answer the question - NO - I didn't leave it idling. Ran to the store and back. Round trip of 6 miles at 45-50 mph. Arrived home. Parked in my spot and shut her down. A couple hours later I went out and found the puddle. I wish I had taken it apart right then so I would know if the intake plumbing innards were dripping wet. That would have told the tale.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:58 PM
JJGreer
1st Gear
Not absolutely sure of power steering fluid but the reservoir isn't low. The fluid on the ground was not so thin. But it didn't smell like used motor oil either. Had NO smell to me. Maybe my smeller needs calibrated. I'll know in a week or so when I change the oil.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:31 PM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
They work lol. I've used expensive cans as well as made my own from air compressor moisture separators.

This one was on one of my mustangs, it caught all that within 4-5k miles. Car only had about 90k miles on it at the time and ran great.

Name:  CC1F92BC-C633-443A-B4C5-E3C3CD2C4FAA_zpsl4pggg5d.jpg
Views: 1530
Size:  59.5 KB

Old 01-18-2017, 04:34 PM
ItsmeWayne
JJGrere,
quote:

NO - I didn't leave it idling. Ran to the store and back. Round trip of 6 miles at 45-50 mph. Arrived home. Parked in my spot and shut her down. A couple hours later I went out and found the puddle end
That is why I am thinking the oil cooler, as it will leak a lot while sitting and not running. There are two o-rings that need replacing, with the correct o-ring material.
Also crank seal can leak and when shut off, it will come off the belt side of the engine.
Another is a valve cover gasket, but usually you will smell the oil, whenever it is running/driving.
Whatever it is, it looks like it needs immediate attention!
Best of luck with this fix.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:10 AM
sherman89
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just replaced o-rings on an exchanger and that is not where your leaking oil ends up, like I said you will find it under the control arm on the passenger side of the car. You will not find that amount of oil either. Jack up the side of the car, get your floor jacks in place and then get under it with a light or go ahead and pull the front end. With that amount of oil it will not be hard to find.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:37 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Question to the original poster: Are you sure that it was your car leaking and that you had not parked where some other car had recently leaked?

Old 01-19-2017, 04:42 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
That looks like motor oil. If it was SC oil, or power steering, or transmission fluid....it would be pretty much clear. Like others have said....looks like a pretty good leak, probably from the oil cooler.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:38 AM
ItsmeWayne
One other thought: The oil filter o-ring may be broken/cut.
I hope you get this fixed right away.