R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Input on tire wear...

Old 10-23-2016, 10:43 AM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Input on tire wear...

So after finally upgrading to some rots grids I paired them up with Dunlop direzza dz102's. 2500 miles in and this is what I'm dealing with...

The left tire is from the rear, right tire from the front. Last alignment had everything at factory specs and I haven't even had them on long enough to drive aggressively on.

I also noticed that the wires are showing the other front tire that I didn't get a pic of once they were back on the car.

I'm lowered on TSW springs so I didn't think I would need camber plates since I don't see most with much lower drops using them with any tire wear issues.

Insurance doesn't cover abnormal tire wear so any suggestions on how to avoid this issue again would be much appreciated, thanks.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:37 AM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
I'm confused from your post, the right tire was on the front? and it has 2,500 miles on it? These cars generally chew up tires, especially the inside shoulder but it shouldn't do it in 2,500 miles. The left tire looks generally ok to me, but it's hard to say for sure.

how long ago was the last alignment? if your car is chewing up tires in 2,500 miles I'd take it back and tell them they didn't get it right.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:04 PM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Brand new set of tires. The left is back left, the right is front left.

Last alignment was maybe 4-5 months ago after the shocks springs were installed. Suspension hasn't been touched since then which is why this is throwing me off so much. I went about 14k on my last set without much noticeable wear at all so this is insane to me.

I think I'm going to set up an alignment to get that checked out asap.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:40 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Alignment was done after shocks/springs, how far after? Was it given time to settle and adjust?

Old 10-23-2016, 01:23 PM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Waited about 1 tank of gas, so about 300 miles. I'm not arguing the alignment argument at all. It's going to get checked out for sure. If it is the case I suppose my tire checks need to start happening much more frequently. When switching these and my auto-x set last month I didn't notice any abnormal wear so this happened incredibly fast.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:30 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
Wow! It is unbelievable that you could wear a tire down that much, that fast! Definitely get the alignment double checked, if for some reason everything is in spec, then I'd tend to think you got a defective (batch) of tires. If the alignment is good, I'd go back to the tire store and tell them that you only have 2,500 street miles on these tires and they're done. Their first response will most likely be that you should have had the car aligned, which you did, and then you verified it too. I think they ought to give you atleast 2 new tires if not 4, if your alignment turns out to not be at fault.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:19 PM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
It's definitely first on my list this week just to get it double checked. I've never seen this before so I figured I would get some input here from the more experienced so thank y'all for chiming in. I will definitely be contacting them as long as the alignment is good, but I suppose I'll have to just eat the cost if it isn't.

Even with bad alignment though you wouldn't think the entire tire would be as worn as it is, which is still where a lot of my confusion is.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:25 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Toe has to be WAY out to see that kind of aggressive wear.

Not even my Star Specs, with a 200 treadwear rating wore that fast in 5k miles.

Go to a different alignment shop.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:31 PM
Boostedjcwr56
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory specs for a mini have some negative camber, sports cars are set like that to corner better. If your lowered on springs that makes it worse. Your alignment guy needs to trust his experience and set it up where he knows it's not gonna wear tires instead of relying on that screen to tell him. But as a tire changer.. For a mini that wear is fairly normal. Rotate them a little sooner if you have too

Old 10-23-2016, 03:40 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Boostedjcwr56
Factory specs for a mini have some negative camber, sports cars are set like that to corner better. If your lowered on springs that makes it worse. Your alignment guy needs to trust his experience and set it up where he knows it's not gonna wear tires instead of relying on that screen to tell him. But as a tire changer.. For a mini that wear is fairly normal. Rotate them a little sooner if you have too
Camber isn't going to cause that kind of rapid wear, toe will.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:42 PM
Boostedjcwr56
Neutral
And those dunlops are a cheap high performance summer tire, that don't help

Old 10-23-2016, 03:50 PM
Boostedjcwr56
Neutral
Originally Posted by Zillon
Camber isn't going to cause that kind of rapid wear, toe will.
Yeah I agree with you I just seen how fast they wore out. It should be toed In a degree or about 1.2 in the front, and aligning a lowered car even an inch or 2 lower messes with my machine.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:18 PM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
When I can give y'all some solid numbers on where the alignment is at I think that should help a lot. They're 460 tread wear rated so this is not normal by any means I wouldn't think.

It was lowered on some crappy all seasons before these were on without this issue so if the alignment isn't at fault maybe I did just get a bad batch somehow. I have nothing but theories at the moment so thanks for the additional input as this gives me more to look at to try to solve the problem.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:38 AM
ramjet77
3rd Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Suggest you have the lower control arm bushings inspected; my front tires exhibited accelerated wear on the inside edges due to worn out bushings.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:41 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I doubt a bad batch, excessive toe and chamber would do that. factory specs for a JCW is like 1.0 - 2.0 deg of chamber, whereas toe im preety sure is .03 - -.03 for rear toe. front toe allows about the same to my knowledge. are they cupped at all? also a silly question: you sure you wheel was sitting 100% flush on the hub? if it had any wobble, I would think it would do the same thing

Old 10-24-2016, 07:30 AM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
This is why I brought this to this place, so many suggestions and remjet77 I believe has solved it I believe. When I replaced my LCA bushings I meant to get an alignment immediately afterwards but due to a lot of life events happening at the time I completely forgot.

I have an alignment scheduled after work so I fully expect the specs to be completely off. Expensive mistake that I will definitely learn from...

Search this Thread